Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,053,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Be a bum in your own city.
Where does it say that OP is not from NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanalysis View Post
I am currently a college student receiving full scholarship for tuition and would like to continue attending school full-time, but I don't have the means to pay for a room in the area. Where can I obtain resources about being homeless in a particular area (so the commute to and from school won't be so bad; Flushing, Queens in particular)?
Talk to your school, or whoever gave you the scholarship, to see if you can get a scholarship for part-time. Then get a full-time job to go along with the part-time class schedule, and you can pay for a room.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:59 AM

25,365 posts, read 36,918,559 times
You don't need resources. You just walk out of the place you are living, hand the owner the key and start walking. If you have belongings, stop at the local super market and steal a cart to carry your stuff.
If you see a soda or beer bottle, pick it up and save it.

Being homeless is very easy...keeping a roof over your head is the hard part of life.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:10 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,225,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanalysis View Post
receiving full scholarship for tuition ... but I don't have the means to pay for a room
If this is true, why haven't you spoken to the financial aid office at your college?

Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,104,666 times
Room mates is what i'd be looking for...
https://www.google.ca/#q=resources+r...yc&safe=active

Read through a few of these sights
https://www.google.ca/#q=resources+f...yc&safe=active

And you need to work on get one of these
https://www.google.ca/#q=fast+food+j...yc&safe=active

Old 05-03-2014, 11:15 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,998,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Where does it say that OP is not from NYC?
If the person is from NYC and is "choosing" the homeless life, then that's even worse than someone from outside.

Look, I'm VERY liberal on utilizing social services to help get you on your feet and stabilize your life until things improve, but I'm not down with someone taking up space that can go to someone TRULY in need. This person doesn't sound like they are in "need". They sound like they want to make things "comfortable" for themselves, while taking up bed space for a REAL broke or desperate person.

I mean...you can't tell Homeless Services where YOU want to stay while you are HOMELESS. They'll look at you like you're out of your damn mind.

I'm 100% down for people getting foodstamps, cash benefits, medicaid and any other social service benefit available, because they have no choice and are struggling. The OP sounds like they have "choices".

Funny the person hasn't come back.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
If the person is from NYC and is "choosing" the homeless life, then that's even worse than someone from outside.

Look, I'm VERY liberal on utilizing social services to help get you on your feet and stabilize your life until things improve, but I'm not down with someone taking up space that can go to someone TRULY in need. This person doesn't sound like they are in "need". They sound like they want to make things "comfortable" for themselves, while taking up bed space for a REAL broke or desperate person.

I mean...you can't tell Homeless Services where YOU want to stay while you are HOMELESS. They'll look at you like you're out of your damn mind.

I'm 100% down for people getting foodstamps, cash benefits, medicaid and any other social service benefit available, because they have no choice and are struggling. The OP sounds like they have "choices".

Yes, I agree. The OP is worded strangely (using the word homeless). The real request seems to be, "Where can I live for free? I don't feel like paying for my own housing."

Old 05-03-2014, 02:29 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,998,135 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree. The OP is worded strangely (using the word homeless). The real request seems to be, "Where can I live for free? I don't feel like paying for my own housing."
Exactly.

They don't seem to be in dire straights as other people who've requested shelter help on here have.

You also have to abide by a curfew, unless you're working and then the your caseworker at the shelter makes special provisions.

Walmart in Green Acres mall is hiring and the starting pay is $8.50.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:16 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,863,960 times
Quote:
Talk to your school, or whoever gave you the scholarship, to see if you can get a scholarship for part-time. Then get a full-time job to go along with the part-time class schedule, and you can pay for a room.
Alternatively someone in that situation could take out student loans, move into student housing or rent a room somewhere, and work a part time job (no more than 10 hours a week) and graduate.

I understand where you're coming from, but because CUNY is working class it has very low graduation rates. Working full time and trying to get your degree does not work out for many people. Some full time jobs require overtime and have little or no understanding that you're a student. It's tough out there, and you have to be able to make the right decisions to be able to pull anything off.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,863,960 times
Quote:

Indeed. I agree with you here. Those services are there for people who have no choice. Not for college students to exploit. The OP if she wants to be a college student should move into student housing or a dorm and work out something with financial at at the college or university she attends. Don't screw a homeless person out of a space or money. The need is too great. A lot of elderly people are retiring and only have social security income. And as a result ending up in shelters, SROs, or the like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City