Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 11:55 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

My partner and I just met a man this morning who lived in NYC for 18 years before returning here five weeks ago. He said most people don't live in NYC very long. He said most of his friends from college (NYU) have long since moved to other parts of the nation after working in NYC a few years.

He also said living there is a constant challenge. His salary was handsome, but the way he phrased it was that it's hard to accumulate any wealth. He had a 350 square-foot studio with no washer and dryer, and he had finally broken down and was paying to have his laundry picked up and delivered instead of going to the laundry mat. He got tired of walking to the grocery store and lugging his groceries home, etc., etc.

He said NYC is so much just the club scene now. Most of the people there like being seen out, and bask in the spotlight of living in New York, until they grow weary of it and move on. And then there's the weather. Oh, wait, he didn't mention the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 12:58 PM

503 posts, read 898,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
My partner and I just met a man this morning who lived in NYC for 18 years before returning here five weeks ago. He said most people don't live in NYC very long. He said most of his friends from college (NYU) have long since moved to other parts of the nation after working in NYC a few years.

He also said living there is a constant challenge. His salary was handsome, but the way he phrased it was that it's hard to accumulate any wealth. He had a 350 square-foot studio with no washer and dryer, and he had finally broken down and was paying to have his laundry picked up and delivered instead of going to the laundry mat. He got tired of walking to the grocery store and lugging his groceries home, etc., etc.

He said NYC is so much just the club scene now. Most of the people there like being seen out, and bask in the spotlight of living in New York, until they grow weary of it and move on. And then there's the weather. Oh, wait, he didn't mention the weather.
sounds like a angry old man to me

Old 05-10-2014, 01:04 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
they figure if Frank Sinatra can make it in NY so can they

Old 05-10-2014, 05:06 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsideal View Post
sounds like a angry old man to me
in his 30's

Old 05-10-2014, 09:01 PM

499 posts, read 793,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post

Who cares? The city has eaten and spit out people continuously since its inception. All these idiots that move here because of whatever hype they've heard from their friends and t.v. can't leave fast enough. New York is not for everyone, nor should it be.

If your friend was truly making a handsome salary and chose to live in a 350 square foot studio for a decade plus, then he was simply another idiot transplant trying to fit into that club of idiots. If his priorities truly were to find a larger space, have a car, have a washer and dryer then he would have long moved to the burbs or at least the outer boroughs, as 15+ million New Yorkers already do.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,447 times
I work a full time job, and a part time job. My husband works full time and OT. That's how. Living in NYC sucks.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:23 PM

221 posts, read 321,936 times
Amisi, I'm not sure what your plans are after your teenager goes to college. But you might want to explore new states & cities. I would recommend Massachusetts and Chicago.

You can find a 2 bedroom in the Greater Boston area for a reasonable price, and still have easy access to the city.

You could also find a 2 bedroom in Chicago for a reasonable price. There are 2 bedrooms in nice neighborhoods for as little as $1500. These are safe neighborhoods, with good access to downtown, grocery stores, neighborhood amenities.

If you're looking for a different lifestyle, you may want to explore the west coast, or the sunshine state

Old 07-26-2014, 11:09 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
This thread is great. Kind of summarizes nyc and my feelings for it. Would I love to live there? Absolutely. But the costs are very prohibitive so I will just visit. I can't even stand the thought of sharing a room with one person, much less 17. I have a family now, so now it's really never going to happen. Love the thread though. New Yorkers have this resolve and that's what makes that city great.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:17 PM

237 posts, read 482,245 times
NYC is expensive but you can definitely find a neighborhood where you can get a 1 bedroom for less than $3000. And it wouldn't be the ghetto.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:20 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Apart from rent/ home ownership, the City ( as in the 5 boroughs) isn't prohibitive at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City