Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 04:15 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,907,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I would pick Throggs Neck. I don't know why anyone would dissuade you. The housing stock is equally nice, especially as you get closer to the water. PP, close to WPR, is mostly urban co-ops and condos, but with the urbanity you'll find great conveniences in terms of shopping and transportation, which is helpful if you are commuting into Manhattan at all. There aren't many SFHs there. Pelham Gardens is nice but not more than the better parts of the Neck. If I relocate back to the Bronx, we'd probably buy in the Neck area by the water. I wouldn't worry about the Throggs Neck Houses..they are in just one section of the area.
Depends on your tolerance for a commute - I grew up in TN, and spent most of my 20s there. I grew to HATE the commute (and I only had to get to Grand Central - to Financial District will be worse). I really, really hated the bus to subway thing. Yes, it's a nice neighborhood to live in, but not as nice as it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 07:24 PM

20 posts, read 43,707 times
Would it have been tolerable had you been near the 6 in Pelham bay?

Old 05-05-2014, 08:21 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,416,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Depends on your tolerance for a commute - I grew up in TN, and spent most of my 20s there. I grew to HATE the commute (and I only had to get to Grand Central - to Financial District will be worse). I really, really hated the bus to subway thing. Yes, it's a nice neighborhood to live in, but not as nice as it used to be.
Her partner needs to commute to LI, so I thought the Neck would offer the better commute..for him at least. In what way is TN not as nice as it used to be? It's waterfront, so that will make it desirable. The housing prices are pretty up there, too. I think it's held its own over the years.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,681,510 times
Quote:
Her partner needs to commute to LI, so I thought the Neck would offer the better commute..for him at least. In what way is TN not as nice as it used to be? It's waterfront, so that will make it desirable. The housing prices are pretty up there, too. I think it's held its own over the years.
Most of the people are not on waterfront property or have access to the waterfront.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmworkacct2112 View Post
Would it have been tolerable had you been near the 6 in Pelham bay?
The commute itself would have been much better. In fact, for 6 months (my very first apartment at 19, actually), I lived about 4 blocks from the Middletown Rd stop on the 6, and it was much better. The whole concept of bus to subway just bugs me - far more than subway to subway does.

Pelham Bay itself is not as nice of a neighborhood, not as pretty and grimier looking, worse parking, so there is that. All depends on what's more important to you, I suppose.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Most of the people are not on waterfront property or have access to the waterfront.
True, but but even the homes that are more inland are nice. The area has less of an urban feel to it, so that makes a difference.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
The commute itself would have been much better. In fact, for 6 months (my very first apartment at 19, actually), I lived about 4 blocks from the Middletown Rd stop on the 6, and it was much better. The whole concept of bus to subway just bugs me - far more than subway to subway does.

Pelham Bay itself is not as nice of a neighborhood, not as pretty and grimier looking, worse parking, so there is that. All depends on what's more important to you, I suppose.
Pelham Bay "grimey"? Can you please elaborate? Because I don't get that impression at all. I nearly purchased a co op in the Middletown Rd. area (which is considered Pelham Bay to me) and it looked nice, especially when you're away from the train. What exactly quailfies as "nice" to you in the context of urban New York? I'm not talking about suburban places like Long Island, parts of Queens.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
This. Good luck getting a decent price on waterfront property. Housing prices in TN for the most part are still decent, but anything on the water is bananas. They built all these condos on Dean Ave about 10-15 years ago (where Golden Beach Club used to be), and they go for $700k-$800k. For a CONDO in the BRONX? I don't think so.

The neighborhood itself has changed in the respect that it's become a lot gritter, mostly along main streets. Lots more discount stores along Tremont, crime has increased (still in no way an unsafe neighborhood, but when I was in my teens/early twenties, I thought nothing of walking alone late at night - these days, would not dream of doing so). Hard to describe...but when I take the express bus down Tremont now, I definitely notice a difference, and it's not a good one. Might be the perspective of not living there anymore, and preferring Manhattan. Not really sure. The idea of moving back there does not work for me - but that's my preference and 2 cents.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
This. Good luck getting a decent price on waterfront property. Housing prices in TN for the most part are still decent, but anything on the water is bananas. They built all these condos on Dean Ave about 10-15 years ago (where Golden Beach Club used to be), and they go for $700k-$800k. For a CONDO in the BRONX? I don't think so.

The neighborhood itself has changed in the respect that it's become a lot gritter, mostly along main streets. Lots more discount stores along Tremont, crime has increased (still in no way an unsafe neighborhood, but when I was in my teens/early twenties, I thought nothing of walking alone late at night - these days, would not dream of doing so). Hard to describe...but when I take the express bus down Tremont now, I definitely notice a difference, and it's not a good one. Might be the perspective of not living there anymore, and preferring Manhattan. Not really sure. The idea of moving back there does not work for me - but that's my preference and 2 cents.
I saw several waterfront condos for sale in the $400s when I last looked months ago. But they were apartment style (with neighbors on all sides) and aren't really my preference. Prices in TN were still pretty low 15 years ago compared to now. I guess I would've made quite a bit of money had I bought one.

There probably has been changes but for the most part TN is still a solid, good neighborhood. It was always more middle classed, not affluent.

I live in suburbia but I'd have no issue at all putting down money on a home in the Neck.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Pelham Bay "grimey"? Can you please elaborate? Because I don't get that impression at all. I nearly purchased a co op in the Middletown Rd. area (which is considered Pelham Bay to me) and it looked nice, especially when you're away from the train. What exactly quailfies as "nice" to you in the context of urban New York? I'm not talking about suburban places like Long Island, parts of Queens.
The actual definition of the word grimy. Kinda irty. I just don't think PB is as nice, visually, of a neighborhood, as parts of TN/CC. If you're talking about the building on the corner of Middletown/Bruckner Blvd, that is definitely PB.

Don't get me wrong, it's NICER than lots of other neighborhoods....and can be a viable option for many, depending on their needs and preferences, but it's far from being the perfect solution many tout it to be.

I may be reading a little too much into tone (written word, internet and all that), but you seem to be taking my personal opinion about these neighborhoods a little personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City