Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 08:34 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I never said it was. But just as it isn't cool to bash entire countries or races of people, it's not cool to bash entire states entire. That doesn't mean you have to want to live in a particular place. But that can be expressed without saying hateful things that would have broad condemnations if they were said about whole races of people.

You can simply just say you don't like TN, for example. No need to resort to name calling.
You're right. I could have, but I wanted to make it absolutely CLEAR why I would NEVER voluntarily move to a Deep South state.

I wasn't even thinking along racial lines, but the fact that those states have proven to be the poorest, slowest to move forward or adapt to "new" things, many believe that Obama is directly related to Osama Bin Laden, still have and enforce separate proms for blacks and whites, etc., the list of ignorance is endless.

Again, I would only move there if I wanted to fall off the radar of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 08:41 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You're right. I could have, but I wanted to make it absolutely CLEAR why I would NEVER voluntarily move to a Deep South state.

I wasn't even thinking along racial lines, but the fact that those states have proven to be the poorest, slowest to move forward or adapt to "new" things, many believe that Obama is directly related to Osama Bin Laden, still have and enforce separate proms for blacks and whites, etc., the list of ignorance is endless.

Again, I would only move there if I wanted to fall off the radar of life.
Well, the thing is, there's no reason to justify why you don't want to move to a Deep South state. If you never want to do that, is 100% your right.

But when you get into the things you just said, that right there in and of itself is a kind of ignorance because you made massive stereotypes of an entire region and you just assaulted people. Having lived in the deep south before, I can say I don't know anyone who thinks Obama is related to Osama Bin Laden. I might add a wealthy New Yorker by name of Donald Trump tried to claim Obama isn't a US citizen. In my time in the Deep South, I'm not aware that the region as a whole enforces separate proms for Blacks and Whites. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened anywhere in the region, but we are talking about a huge region.

Are you claiming New York has no racial incidents or no segregation in where people live or go to school?

But all that is irrelevant. The bottom line is, if you don't want to live in the deep South, be CIVIL and just say you don't want to live there. Coming out with stereotypes out of the wood work makes you sound as ignorant and as bigoted as the people you say you protest.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:01 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
You have to realize most people who rave about NY barely make it past the Hudson River. I'm sure Marilyn's idea of SOUTH is the Financial District.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:05 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
For the coming fiscal year NYC will spend 1.4 billion (USD) on the homeless including shelters and other services. This is more than several other city agencies including parks and transportation.

New York City Targets Spending $1.04 Billion on Homeless - WSJ.com
Kind of pointless when the money should be directed more towards the things that make people homeless: Mental health, economy, unemployment, domestic issues, alcoholism, drug addiction, etc.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
You have to realize most people who rave about NY barely make it past the Hudson River.
I do realize that. As well as realized the more affluent and educated New Yorkers have substantial lives out of NYC. Many of them have attended universities outside of NYC, worked outside NYC, done business outside NYC, vacationed substantially outside of NYC, etc.

It's ironic. Columbia has the only high ranking undergraduate program in NYC (NYU isn't quite there). Most of the other Ivy Leagues (Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Yale, Brown, Princeton) are in rural and suburban areas. MIT is in a suburban area. In terms of other high ranked schools, Emory, Duke, Vanderbuilt, Tulane, and Rice are in the (gasp) South. Stanford is in a suburban part of the Bay area (gasp), Northwestern is in a suburban area as well. Univ of Chicago is in a (gasp) Midwestern city, etc. In the sciences, you actually have a lot of major research at University of Texas, University of North Carolina, and the private Southern Universities I mentioned. Ditto of course those rural and suburban Ivies, Stanford, and Northwestern. Oh, and UC Berkeley isn't in downtown SF, though it's in the bay area and it's a fine undergraduate university with excellent graduate research programs.

My point is the people raving about New York clearly don't have good educations, as anyone with a good education would be more open minded about the rest of the country. They might have to move to further their educations or careers. So basically, the people who rave about NY and who barely make it past the Hudson River are in that situation because of a lack of income and education.

And no, there's no double standard here because I'm not saying all or even most New Yorkers are like that. 30to66at55 and I are speaking about a specific subset.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:26 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It's ironic. Columbia has the only high ranking undergraduate program in NYC (NYU isn't quite there).
And Juilliard.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:32 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Wait till December, and give them bus tickets to FL. They'll probably be happy to go. Just post cops at the Port Authority the next spring. IIf they show up again, just put them back on the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City