Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 01:49 PM

95 posts, read 154,557 times

Advertisements

I bought a Co-op back in 2008 and in 2009 we had board elections but since then we have been stuck with the same incompetent board. The reason is we have not had a quorum at the annual general meeting since then. Does anyone with experience with co-op know of a way to get rid of the current board or have any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 04:23 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deihmos View Post
I bought a Co-op back in 2008 and in 2009 we had board elections but since then we have been stuck with the same incompetent board. The reason is we have not had a quorum at the annual general meeting since then. Does anyone with experience with co-op know of a way to get rid of the current board or have any tips?
If you don't have a quorum the assumption is that the majority of shareholders are happy with the status quo.If you want a revolution you have to organize it yourself by making phone calls and banging on doors to talk to people and convince them to give you their proxies.If you want to replace the whole board you will have to convince other like minded people,if there are any,to do the same.It's that simple

You might want to start by running for the board yourself and getting enough proxies to assure there is a quorum and that you get elected.In most
co ops it would probably only take 10 or 15 proxies.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:28 PM

I cannot run for the board because I work for the management company. The problem is the management company, sponsor and retail space owner are all affiliated and do a horrible job at managing the co-op funds and the board does absolutely nothing.

The other shareholders have no interest in the affairs of the co-op. They don't care that the co-op has had negative cash flows from the day it started and some shareholders have not made any payments for nearly 2 years.

I did not know that I could get proxies from other shareholders. We have 5 candidates but because of the failure of the last election the board remains the same. Now the question is how do I get them to have another election.

Proxies sound like an option. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I cannot run for the board because I work for the management company. The problem is the management company, sponsor and retail space owner are all affiliated and do a horrible job at managing the co-op funds and the board does absolutely nothing.

The other shareholders have no interest in the affairs of the co-op. They don't care that the co-op has had negative cash flows from the day it started and some shareholders have not made any payments for nearly 2 years.

I did not know that I could get proxies from other shareholders. We have 5 candidates but because of the failure of the last election the board remains the same. Now the question is how do I get them to have another election.

Proxies sound like an option. Thanks.
I can't imagine that other shareholders would have no interest .Have there been any sales in your building ? If the financial condition is bad the banks wouldn't lend,nobody would be able to buy and the value of all the apartments would go down.

When notices about the annual shareholder meeting go out they usually include a proxy with the unit number and the number of shares on it.You should be able to get other owners to sign their proxy and voting rights over to you.How many units in the co op and how many are still owned by the sponsor?

Old 05-08-2014, 05:57 PM

There are just a few shareholders that show up for the meeting. The building has 88 units 1 super unit. The last 3 units were recently sold so no more sponsor units. The board meeting notices never included any such information. The board members don't have a clue of what they need to do. They don't meet and nothing is shared with the shareholders.

I wish I knew this at the last meeting I would have knocked on everyone’s door.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
There are just a few shareholders that show up for the meeting. The building has 88 units 1 super unit. The last 3 units were recently sold so no more sponsor units. The board meeting notices never included any such information. The board members don't have a clue of what they need to do. They don't even meet.

I wish I knew this at the last meeting I would knocked on everyone door.
LOl,start with the bigger apartments and the ones on higher floors because they have more shares.The quorum needed to take votes will be half of the shares,not half of the units.

Get out there and start talking to people…..in the elevator,in the laundry room.Probably best to play it cool without bad mouthing anyone at first.Just tell everyone you would like to serve on the board and would appreciate their support.Then when you get on the board you will have a better idea of what's going on behind the scenes and continue to enlist others who think like you to also run.

Better chance of long term success by going about it slowly and methodically rather than raising too much of a stir at first and making enemies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City