Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:08 PM

8,639 posts, read 11,003,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
What a dumbass and waste of a thread.
thread title is far more horrid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 04:18 PM

438 posts, read 650,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravels99 View Post
Is my plan crazy?
Yes, it is. Don't do it!

Old 05-22-2014, 05:18 PM

937 posts, read 1,131,568 times
Quote:
I will be graduating in August with my BS in Business I have an internship in marketing communications that I will be finishing in September. My husband will be starting graduate school in NYC in August. We currently live in Philadelphia. I am very nervous about moving there without a job. I am hoping to be employed within 2 months of moving there (employed by the end of November). The other thing is, while I would prefer a job in sales or marketing, I wouldn't be opposed to working in retail or the service industry to stay afloat. My husband's student loans would 100% cover all living expenses so I wouldn't need to worry about money in the beginning, but I would of course prefer to contribute to reduce his student loans.

Is my plan crazy? Is it crazy to move to NYC without a job and just start applying once I get there? Because of my internship, I really can't apply and interview until it is finished as I don't get time off. I know several other people who moved to NYC recently and all found jobs in their preferred industry within a month, so maybe I am too optimistic because I am basing this on their successes? Or do you think I will be okay?

Should I go to a head hunter first? Work my school's network? What would you do?
Is your husband planning to enroll at Columbia Business School? If so, the move will definitely be worthwhile, however, since you have a B.S. in Business, you should set your sights on positions with salaries of at least 50K/year, to help out with the housing and day to day living expenses. NYC is very expensive and it's generally a very bad idea to live off of student loans and credit.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 786 times
I have lived in South Korea and Vietnam for the past five years and I understand how it feels to move to a new city. I specialized in rentals in the Lower East Side and cover all of Manhattan. I have helped many other expats make the move to NYC.

Randy Pulayya is a Licensed Real Estate Salesperson, born and raised in Queens, whose cultured and passionate personality injects an energetic dedication to each of his clients' searches. Specializing in Residential Rentals in the Lower East Side, Randy is known for his persistence and effective, prompt communication skills.

Prior to joining REAL New York, Randy harnessed his customer service experience while working for HSBC and running his own apparel sourcing company from Vietnam. Furthermore, he has recently spent several years teaching abroad, living in South Korea and Vietnam while traveling to more than 30 countries and 500 metropolises across the world. By interacting with the international community, Randy has developed an ability to work with a diverse clientele.

Although his travels have been extensive, Randy firmly says, “New York will always be home.” He has a B.A. in Advertising from the University of Florida.

Randy Pulayya

Licensed Real Estate Saleperson

M: (347) 653-8187
F: (646) 606-3249
E: Randy@realnyproperties.com
REAL New York Properties

Old 06-16-2014, 09:57 PM

821 posts, read 1,097,208 times
Quote:

Is my plan crazy?
I personally consider this to be crazy, moving to one of the most expensive cities on earth without a job.

Fixed the title of thread for you: "Moving to NYC, failure isn't a preferred option, but it can happen without a job."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City