Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 10,969 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating in August with my BS in Business I have an internship in marketing communications that I will be finishing in September. My husband will be starting graduate school in NYC in August. We currently live in Philadelphia. I am very nervous about moving there without a job. I am hoping to be employed within 2 months of moving there (employed by the end of November). The other thing is, while I would prefer a job in sales or marketing, I wouldn't be opposed to working in retail or the service industry to stay afloat. My husband's student loans would 100% cover all living expenses so I wouldn't need to worry about money in the beginning, but I would of course prefer to contribute to reduce his student loans.

Is my plan crazy? Is it crazy to move to NYC without a job and just start applying once I get there? Because of my internship, I really can't apply and interview until it is finished as I don't get time off. I know several other people who moved to NYC recently and all found jobs in their preferred industry within a month, so maybe I am too optimistic because I am basing this on their successes? Or do you think I will be okay?

Should I go to a head hunter first? Work my school's network? What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 05:37 PM

445 posts, read 1,444,735 times
Go to a headhunter and work your school's network. Leave no stone unturned.

My son graduated from Temple (Fox School of Business) in 2007. He got a job in the Philly area (Wilkes-Barre) after graduation, worked there for a year and then got a job in NYC. He got the job through a reference from a co-worker. Because we live in NYC, he lived with us until he got established, so he had a safety net. You have somewhat of a safety net, as well, with your husband's student loans. Understandably, you want to bring money in as soon as possible.

I would just say that you should network as much as possible, through your friends, friends of friends, your school and headhunters. Can't you get a little time off from the internship for interviews? I think you should start searching as soon as possible. Our son was lucky and got a good job but he landed that job in September, 2008, right before the economy collapsed. Things are different now. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:06 PM

Thanks, stillife. I've read so many negative posts on here about moving to NYC but for me... it's not some high school fantasy of making it in "the big city" it's about supporting my husband and starting my new career. I think it will be helpful too that my husband's school has a "partners program" for the spouses/significant others to join. I think this can also help with expanding my network. We both have a lot of family and friends in NYC so I think I can start there, use my school's network, then maybe go with a staffing agency if nothing else.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:21 PM

10,220 posts, read 19,132,533 times
Does the place you are interning at have a NYC office? If so, it would bea good place to start. Your plan is risky but not crazy. Headhunters usually aren't good at placing recent grads so you should try other options first.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:24 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,757,170 times
The problem is going to be finding an landlord/management company that will accept you into one of their apts based on your current situation.

Good luck though.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:26 PM

Unfortunately they don't have an NYC office, only office on the east coast is in Philly. Although I am a recent grad, I do have about 4 years of retail management (inventory control, then store manager) experience, so I don't know if that makes my situation any different. After HS, I went straight into working for 5 years, then went back to University. Maybe that's even worse? Or maybe better because I have experience? I guess I will find out...

Old 05-08-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
The problem is going to be finding an landlord/management company that will accept you into one of their apts based on your current situation.

Good luck though.
My husband will be a FT grad student and the school gives the full loan amount for estimated rent. I assume most full time students do this and it wouldn't be an issue. The school never hinted that getting an apartment off campus would be an issue. They only said "We give the full amount to cover rent and expenses, explain this to your broker."

Last edited by worldtravels99; 05-08-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 09:30 PM

559 posts, read 1,108,479 times
"Failure isn't an option." But starving to death is an option, right? And once you're dead, there's no question of success or failure, right?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:38 PM

510 posts, read 1,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravels99 View Post
My husband will be a FT grad student and the school gives the full loan amount for estimated rent. I assume most full time students do this and it wouldn't be an issue. The school never hinted that getting an apartment off campus would be an issue. They only said "We give the full amount to cover rent and expenses, explain this to your broker."

Many full-time students require a guarantor who makes 80x the monthly rent to secure an apartment. It's harder (but it is possible) to get around this rule. When I was a full time student living off loans I was able to sign a lease without a guarantor by showing a printout of my bank account with all of my loan money in it and offering extra months of security. I think I paid 6 months upfront. You may have to do something similar.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:04 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,757,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldtravels99 View Post
Its not the brokers decision its the LANDLORD/MANAGEMENT COMPANIES that make the rules. I had clients who were given rent stipends that easily covered the monthly rent BUT the actual salaries didnt match the requirements.

Most students ive found places for had guarantors or were asked to pay 6 months upfront or 6 months security or even a combo of 6 months upfront and 6 months security.

Different rules for different owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City