Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:45 PM

5,028 posts, read 4,908,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
?

How do you manage to get in a subway car? a taxi? Go in a store? Goodness knows what has "happened" in there before you.

How odd.
Sorry if my comments offended ppl fond of old houses...not intended so. But a lot of those nice looking brownstones/victorian houses are so dark inside. The attractive part is that they are often located in tree lined nabes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 PM

8,915 posts, read 4,709,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I'm with nightcrawler on this one.
The stainless steel fortresses are just ugly and an eyesore to most neighborhoods.
I’ve seen them next to architecturally beautiful brownstones in Sunset park, and they just seem completely out of place.

good thing around my area I haven’t seen any of them.
I don't like them either. In fact, I detest them but... to each his/her own. Who am I to appoint myself as the house design police.

I love classic English tudor homes but I know friends of mine who love the all glass, luxury condo bldgs that you see around Manhattan and parts of Queens but again taste is such a personal thing & changes over time. I'm sure when I was a teen, I didn't think much about old, classic, tudor homes!

Old 05-22-2014, 09:20 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,890,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I don't like them either. In fact, I detest them but... to each his/her own. Who am I to appoint myself as the house design police.

I love classic English tudor homes but I know friends of mine who love the all glass, luxury condo bldgs that you see around Manhattan and parts of Queens but again taste is such a personal thing & changes over time. I'm sure when I was a teen, I didn't think much about old, classic, tudor homes!
I agree, to each his own. The thing is... that when you have a homogeneous architecture in a neighborhood and then new comers start building structures that look completely different from what's the norm, the character of the neighborhood is changed.
And I know that things/neighborhoods and people change, but it should be up to the community as whole to allow such changes.
If I lived in a beautiful brownstone, and my next door neighbor installed one of those ugly fortresses and as result the price of my property went down because of it, I'd be pretty upset.

But again, if the community deems it acceptable, who am I to care about it? I say, let them be.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:56 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,513,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Sorry if my comments offended ppl fond of old houses...not intended so. But a lot of those nice looking brownstones/victorian houses are so dark inside. The attractive part is that they are often located in tree lined nabes.
It wasn't offensive - it was your comment about not wanting to be in an old house since what might have "happened" in there.

So.... what did happento the "what happened" notion? Does it just seem silly now so you dropped it?!

In addition, I agree that Brownstones can be darker inside. Victorians tend to have more windows than some modern houses built with economic efficiencies in mind, but obviously they aren't competing with a gloriously-illuminated wall of glass-type condo.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 AM

18,372 posts, read 31,484,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I agree, to each his own. The thing is... that when you have a homogeneous architecture in a neighborhood and then new comers start building structures that look completely different from what's the norm, the character of the neighborhood is changed.
And I know that things/neighborhoods and people change, but it should be up to the community as whole to allow such changes.
If I lived in a beautiful brownstone, and my next door neighbor installed one of those ugly fortresses and as result the price of my property went down because of it, I'd be pretty upset.

But again, if the community deems it acceptable, who am I to care about it? I say, let them be.

Unfortunetely we have no choice. The builders see old houses, offer the owners a nice price and they leave. The builders aren't looking at the actual house, but the plot of land it sits on.
So many of the older homes have a large size lots with one house on it, and its place becomes a multi dwelling, aka Chinese Fortress

The builder will pay a home owner 1M, then put up a 6 or 8 family residence in it's place for 800K, and make a killing on them.

The shame is when there is a neighborhood of a row of homes that all match, then a "fedders special" gets built right next to it, it does kill the appeal of the neighborhood.

All the Chinese are buying them though. Personally, and this is my choice, and I have the right to my choice, but I absolutely would not buy a home for 600K with a Chinese family attached to me, nothing personal, but it isn't going to happen. A co-op or condo maybe, but a home?, never, and there are a lot of people like me that feel the same way, hence all the Chinese buying.

This is how the neighborhood changes. Doesn't mean it is changing for the worse, it is just changing. It happens.

Old people die, the kids already have their homes so they sell Mom and Dads house and the builder knocks it down. I will do the same with my parents home, up for sale when the time comes, as I have my own co-op, and I don't need their house....but they are in SI, so it will not get knocked down, as it is attatched to another home.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:02 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,552,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Unfortunetely we have no choice. The builders see old houses, offer the owners a nice price and they leave. The builders aren't looking at the actual house, but the plot of land it sits on.
So many of the older homes have a large size lots with one house on it, and its place becomes a multi dwelling, aka Chinese Fortress

The builder will pay a home owner 1M, then put up a 6 or 8 family residence in it's place for 800K, and make a killing on them.

The shame is when there is a neighborhood of a row of homes that all match, then a "fedders special" gets built right next to it, it does kill the appeal of the neighborhood.

All the Chinese are buying them though. Personally, and this is my choice, and I have the right to my choice, but I absolutely would not buy a home for 600K with a Chinese family attached to me, nothing personal, but it isn't going to happen. A co-op or condo maybe, but a home?, never, and there are a lot of people like me that feel the same way, hence all the Chinese buying.

This is how the neighborhood changes. Doesn't mean it is changing for the worse, it is just changing. It happens.

Old people die, the kids already have their homes so they sell Mom and Dads house and the builder knocks it down. I will do the same with my parents home, up for sale when the time comes, as I have my own co-op, and I don't need their house....but they are in SI, so it will not get knocked down, as it is attatched to another home.
Can't wait for the next brown out in NYC. Electric demand and even water pressure is affected every time a block adds new apts.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:48 AM

782 posts, read 853,348 times
I lived in Bensonhurst through out my teenage years and witnessed the huge changes the area underwent. There was a strong Asian presence there in 90s when we moved there, but still a strong Italian and Eastern European presence too. As the 2000s came along, it seems with each year more and more store fronts on Bay Parkway and 18th Avenue changed over to Asian owned businesses. The most notable and telling change over was a large Italian-owned supermarket on Bay Parkway and 67th Street being converted to the now enormous and bustling Chang Wang Market. A year later, another large chinese supermarket opened a block down. Another year later, another Chinese supermarket opened across the street from that one. I can barely recognize the avenue I once knew.

Honestly, I'm impressed by the business savvy of Asian Business owners, and since this this a free enterprise system, you cannot knock them for capitalizing on changing demographics and creating successful business communities.

My one big gripe though, is how REPETITIVE businesses in Asian neighborhoods are. Any given block is the same layout: Supermarket, 3 Asian Bakeries, Fish market, Hair Salon. Repeat, repeat and repeat for blocks (case in point, 8th avenue in Sunset). That doesnt make for the nicest commercial strips in my opinion.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,552,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
I lived in Bensonhurst through out my teenage years and witnessed the huge changes the area underwent. There was a strong Asian presence there in 90s when we moved there, but still a strong Italian and Eastern European presence too. As the 2000s came along, it seems with each year more and more store fronts on Bay Parkway and 18th Avenue changed over to Asian owned businesses. The most notable and telling change over was a large Italian-owned supermarket on Bay Parkway and 67th Street being converted to the now enormous and bustling Chang Wang Market. A year later, another large chinese supermarket opened a block down. Another year later, another Chinese supermarket opened across the street from that one. I can barely recognize the avenue I once knew.

Honestly, I'm impressed by the business savvy of Asian Business owners, and since this this a free enterprise system, you cannot knock them for capitalizing on changing demographics and creating successful business communities.

My one big gripe though, is how REPETITIVE businesses in Asian neighborhoods are. Any given block is the same layout: Supermarket, 3 Asian Bakeries, Fish market, Hair Salon. Repeat, repeat and repeat for blocks (case in point, 8th avenue in Sunset). That doesnt make for the nicest commercial strips in my opinion.
Competition is good. In the 90s when there was only 2 Asian bakeries, you had pricier and mediocre quality. Today the quality hasn't improved that much but the prices stayed low.

Speaking of Asian bakeries, what's sad is very few of these places make a good Egg Custard. Most of these new bakeries suck at making the flaky crust and not using enough eggs for the custard.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
It wasn't offensive - it was your comment about not wanting to be in an old house since what might have "happened" in there.

So.... what did happento the "what happened" notion? Does it just seem silly now so you dropped it?!
I don't know about you, but whenever I visit century old buildings/houses, that curious thought of "what happened there before" always comes to mind. The thought does not bother me if I visit. But if I were to make a home in an old building or house, it will come in the way.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
LOL. This same repetitive business layout is not only here in NYC, it is found all over North America, Europe, South American, South East Asia. These are time-, geography-, and all culture-proven business models that the chinese rely on to survive in other countries. Boring but very practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City