Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,745 times

Advertisements

SO I have narrowed down my search for an apt in Brooklyn to Prospect Lefferts Gardens based mostly on cost and the fact that it is a neighborhood in transition (for the better). But I was wondering what the best parts WITHIN the nabe were, the "it" streets, if you will. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 03:45 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,620 times
I have a friend who lives on Lenox Road. Nothing there. I'd say Rogers has more stuff. Trains are on Nostrand and Ocean, but you don't want to live on either.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:34 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,453 times
Midwood Street is the most expensive and best street in the neighborhood. Maple Street is competitive with Midwood Street and has freestanding homes (whereas Midwood Street is all rowhouses, though some are semi-detached), which some prefer. Generally, anywhere on Lefferts Manor, the area with the one-family covenant in their deeds, is the best part of PLG. The Manor includes Midwood, Maple and Rutland between Flatbush and Rogers and also includes parts of Lincoln Road and Fenimore Street in those blocks, as well as a tail up to Lefferts Avenue and Sterling Street from Bedford over to Nostrand. (The map below shows the Manor.)

Of course, if you're looking for apartments, you're not looking on the Manor. But then I would look immediately adjacent to the Manor, along the parts of Fenimore Street and Lincoln Road that are not part of the Manor but face the Manor across the street (i.e., the south side of Fenimore between Rogers and Flatbush or the north side of Lincoln between Bedford and Flatbush).

Generally speaking, the closer to the Manor, the better. East of Rogers, the neighborhood goes downhill pretty rapidly, especially around and east of Nostrand, and south of Fenimore it also declines fairly quickly. I wouldn't consider Lenox Road PLG at all--I think PLG ends at Parkside Avenue.

Last edited by BrownstoneNY; 05-19-2014 at 04:44 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 04:41 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
The "it" people move there to buy brownstones. Not to be near the "it" spots.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
I wouldn't consider Lenox Road PLG at all--I think PLG ends at Parkside Avenue.
I'd [we'd] always been under the impression that Caton/Linden a block south was the border.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:28 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
I'd [we'd] always been under the impression that Caton/Linden a block south was the border.
Nahhh Caton Avenue is Prospect Park South. PLG ends at Parkside Avenue.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-19-2014, 06:29 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
East side of Parkside Avenue between Flatbush and Bedford is actually nice. West of Flatbush, ehh...lol

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City