Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:10 PM

79 posts, read 434,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
I don't know that I find their methodology acceptable, even though they claim that it is.
IMO, a better practice would to send multiple similar requests from different backgrounds to individual professors, to see whether the recipients respond to one perceived ethnicity/gender more than others.
The methodology is fine, provided that the sample size is large enough. Your method of testing each professor multiple times might result in the results not being completely independent of each other, namely professors might behave differently if they get similar emails from students of different nationalities.

Besides that the only difference between your method and the method they used is how quickly it takes to fill up the sample. Let's say there are 5 different groups of students and in order to get draw a meaningful conclusion from the data you need 100 data points for each group. If you use the method used in the article you need to poll 500 professors. If you use your method, you only need 100 professors since each professor will be answering 5 times. Your method might be advisable if there is a constraint on the number of professors, but that didn't seem to be the case here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
As much as ppl praise NY times they sometimes publish some dumb articles.

Random emails 411 ppl don't respond to spam.
Most professors would find it rude that a student interested in xyz class is asking the professor about xyz class.
That's like being interviewed and the interviewer knows nothing about their guest:

Pretty sure bulk of those automatic spam emails were just that.
Automatic spam emails that regardless of race, most don't respond too.
If they did respond as NYT claims, pretty sure they responded too with one liners and
the "proposed date" was more than likely during the professors extra help hours when you know they are supposed to help students.
You are totally missing the point. The important figure here is the difference in response rates for different races, not the total number of responses.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObservantNobody View Post
It doesn't specify the race/gender of the professors.

For all we know the professors could all be jewish women.

4/10
Except the article specifically says that the experiment took a random sample of college professors.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:06 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,400,348 times
College (school) is a filtering system regardless. You get treated there like you would in the real world by the same type of people.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:47 AM

544 posts, read 1,522,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
Could it be partly because the majority of Nobel prize winners are (I suppose) white males?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Could it be that an quality education was denied for a long time to ppl of color?
I was alluding to the objective observation (seems to be a fact?) that most Nobel prize winners are white males. It's a sincere question, or speculation, about the reason behind the results of the experiment, given such a fact (I have no idea why most Nobel prize winners seem to be white males). Your question concerns a different issue--not about the reason behind the results of the experiment mentioned in the article, but about the reason why most Nobel prize winners are white males (thus it seems you agree it's a fact).

P.S. I don't know why college professors are considered to have no prejudice. It's certainly not the case.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:37 AM

25,363 posts, read 36,914,027 times
Quote:

The messages came from students with names like Meredith Roberts, Lamar
Washington, Juanita Martinez, Raj Singh and Chang Huang, names that earlier
research participants consistently perceived as belonging to either a white,
black, Hispanic, Indian or Chinese student.
If those are the names they chose, they chose badly because, while I would assume that Meredith Roberts is FEMALE, no way would I make the automatic assumption she is WHITE.

Old saying about interpreting data: GIGO...garbage in, garbage out.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,563,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny123 View Post
I was alluding to the objective observation (seems to be a fact?) that most Nobel prize winners are white males. It's a sincere question, or speculation, about the reason behind the results of the experiment, given such a fact (I have no idea why most Nobel prize winners seem to be white males). Your question concerns a different issue--not about the reason behind the results of the experiment mentioned in the article, but about the reason why most Nobel prize winners are white males (thus it seems you agree it's a fact).

P.S. I don't know why college professors are considered to have no prejudice. It's certainly not the case.
Which is why they awarded Obama a prize because they are having a hard time finding a non-white person to make them appear less biased. Even Obama admits winning the prize was a bit too much because he didn't accomplish a thing and only weeks on the job.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:25 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,861,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If those are the names they chose, they chose badly because, while I would assume that Meredith Roberts is FEMALE, no way would I make the automatic assumption she is WHITE.

Old saying about interpreting data: GIGO...garbage in, garbage out.
Not too many Black American women named Meredith. That still doesn't mean she's white but it certainly ups the possibility, doesn't it? And just because you wouldn't make an automatic assumption doesn't mean that many other people won't.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:26 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,861,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
College (school) is a filtering system regardless. You get treated there like you would in the real world by the same type of people.
Indeed.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:50 AM

490 posts, read 467,881 times
"...do as I say, not as I do..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: