Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 06:02 PM

6 posts, read 36,243 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Is it safe during office hours around Apollo theatre, Harlem, NY. It is across Bill Clintons office. Has this area been gentrified?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 06:41 PM

650 posts, read 2,517,109 times
havnt been over there a several years but its a busy strip with alot of shopping

Old 12-13-2007, 10:51 PM

706 posts, read 3,763,046 times
Gentrified certainly.

Its safe during office hours.

It's safe evenings.

It's a busy area.

I wouldn't walk around alone at three in the morning, but I wouldn't do that anywhere.

*smile*

Old 12-15-2007, 08:59 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,251 times
I agree with Donna Reed. The area is extremely busy during the day and up until about 1 or 2 am. After that I would be wary only because if something did go down, no one would be around to help you.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:02 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
Absolutely! I've walked around 125th Street the same way I walk around almost any street in NYC, but caution very late at night is as necessary near the Apollo as elsewhere (even at performance time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
Gentrified certainly.

Its safe during office hours.

It's safe evenings.

It's a busy area.

I wouldn't walk around alone at three in the morning, but I wouldn't do that anywhere.

*smile*

Old 12-17-2007, 01:23 PM

44 posts, read 252,058 times
Yes, it's safe. I walk 125th street with my preschooler during the day and have never had a problem. It's busy and active and lively.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:23 PM

5 posts, read 25,795 times
Does it being Gentrified(we all know what that really mean on forums like this) make the place any safer?

Old 12-19-2007, 02:28 PM

34,035 posts, read 47,252,748 times
i think we need the definition of gentrification before we can answer that...

the buying and renovation of houses and stores in deteriorated urban neighborhoods by upper- or middle-income families or individuals, thus improving property values but often displacing low-income families and small businesses.

The restoration and upgrading of deteriorated urban property by middle-class or affluent people, often resulting in displacement of lower-income people.

the restoration of run-down urban areas by the middle class (resulting in the displacement of low-income residents)

now we can answer the question. and i believe the answer is yes because i think poverty and crime go hand in hand (for the most part, there's always exceptions to the rule).

Old 12-20-2007, 11:12 PM

132 posts, read 446,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i think we need the definition of gentrification before we can answer that...

the buying and renovation of houses and stores in deteriorated urban neighborhoods by upper- or middle-income families or individuals, thus improving property values but often displacing low-income families and small businesses.

The restoration and upgrading of deteriorated urban property by middle-class or affluent people, often resulting in displacement of lower-income people.

the restoration of run-down urban areas by the middle class (resulting in the displacement of low-income residents)

now we can answer the question. and i believe the answer is yes because i think poverty and crime go hand in hand (for the most part, there's always exceptions to the rule).
Now that's what u call a true definition! I have a cousin that lived in the area some where close to the 125, left and couldn't afford to go back because the rent was almost doubled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City