U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 02:29 PM

93 posts, read 71,251 times

Advertisements

I love the Long Island City Gantry Plaza state park and the new one they built next to it, but there are no trees and in 90* you don't want to stay there too long, so I am looking for other nice parks in the area to take kids out or have a nice day out.
I went to flushing meadows, it's really nice, vast space, but the crowd is a little weird, there are a lot of intoxicated people especially if there is a soccer match going on. Just one day I took my family and my wife felt uncomfortable with all the stares and people drinking.. It's a shame. Then another week I took them to Forest Park, I think I ended up in the wrong end of the park, it was really a scene to see, boy did we run outta there fast.. (That was around the carousel) All this in the middle of the day.

Ever since, I started taking them to places in Nassau county, more civil, yeah some commute out there, but it sucks that I can't find a decent park in the vicinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 03:02 PM

10,630 posts, read 8,519,079 times
I like Forest Park. There are many parts to it. What could of possible caused you to hightail out of there?

Old 06-04-2014, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,559 times
Try Cunningham Park or Little Bay Park. You can BBQ in the former or watch the east river in the latter.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:04 PM

4,841 posts, read 8,230,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citationneeded View Post
Try Cunningham Park or Little Bay Park. You can BBQ in the former or watch the east river in the latter.
Agreed. I love Cunningham Park.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 PM

2,350 posts, read 2,397,797 times
Eisenhower Park in Nassau County. They recently put in an accessible playground that is my favorite playground in the county. They have another playground too but the newer one is nicer. There are lots of big tree that provide shade. You can BBQ in the park, close to the playground too.

Eisenhower Park | LATCP

Old 06-04-2014, 07:34 PM

47 posts, read 79,565 times
I loved forest park. Spent every weekend there when I lived in the area. Try the other side of woodhaven Blvd for biking and trails before you rule it out.
I second Cunningham park. I run there.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:10 PM

93 posts, read 71,251 times
Thanks so much, I've been to Eisenhover before but it didn't have a lot of shade and no children's playground, but if they recently put one there I would definitely take my on there. I just want to find somewhere out in the open where he can run, we can just drive up, maybe I need to go out of state somewhere into wilderness for that, but I have no clue where.

Never been to Cunningham park, which area? I think I remember taking one my nephews for some karate tournament out there, I remember parking was easy next to a hilly area, I recall that now, it was a nice place. Thanks a bunch guys!

Old 06-20-2014, 02:40 PM

12,908 posts, read 8,735,729 times
Flushing Meadow is so ghetto I would stay away from it. Too over-crowded, not only soccer matches but sometimes hordes of one ethnic group having some religious gathering and using loud megaspeakers to talk with their ethnic music too.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:27 PM

3,355 posts, read 2,828,593 times
Do they still fly R/C helicopters in Cunningham Park? That was always fun to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or