Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 09:38 PM

8 posts, read 33,829 times

Advertisements

I've got about 7-9 days on the ground in NYC (From Texas) to locate an apartment in Forest Hills. Here are my stats bulleted to make it easier to read.

Room requirement- 2-3 bedroom, 1-2 bath
Location: not too far from public transit (I will work in Bronx and Wife in Far Roackaway so this works best for both of us)
Occupants: Wife, 2 kids under 4yo, possible roommate
Budget- 2,000 - 3,000 a month, more than likely will have roommate

I've found prices on Trulia that fit my needs but here are my questions

- What papers, documents do I need?
- Anyone recently rented and recommend a broker or property?
- Concerned about my very loud kids, how difficult will it be to find a place?
- I'll complete pediatric training by the end of June and need to find a job (currently in the process of), future income potential is there but how much of a problem will this be not having a contract and proof of income?

Thanks!!! This forum has been a life saver!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 06:22 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
The brokers here usually run a credit check and want to see proof of income according 40x rent income requirement. Without that proof income, you will need some other way to prove that you are capable of paying the rent (like paying several months in advance or some kind of guarantor).

You want to find a place close to Queens Blvd. for the best public transportation options in the Forest Hills area. The 71st Avenue subway is the express stop with the most train service and then you have 67th Avenue local stop (a bit closer to Manhattan) and the 75th Avenue local stop ( a bit further away from Manhattan).

Old 06-07-2014, 08:39 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The brokers here usually run a credit check and want to see proof of income according 40x rent income requirement. Without that proof income, you will need some other way to prove that you are capable of paying the rent (like paying several months in advance or some kind of guarantor).

You want to find a place close to Queens Blvd. for the best public transportation options in the Forest Hills area. The 71st Avenue subway is the express stop with the most train service and then you have 67th Avenue local stop (a bit closer to Manhattan) and the 75th Avenue local stop ( a bit further away from Manhattan).
I just learned the Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike stop (express stop) is also in Forest Hills, at least the western exit of that stop goes up to the street where there are Forest Hills addresses. For example, the O'Hanlon Bar at 118-12 Queens Blvd, Forest Hills, NY, is directly outside one of the entrances to the Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike stop.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7146...RGjDfvsncg!2e0

I personally find the 71st area of FH much nicer and more interesting, though.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:04 AM

282 posts, read 575,103 times
Quote:
I just learned the Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike stop (express stop) is also in Forest Hills, at least the western exit of that stop goes up to the street where there are Forest Hills addresses. For example, the O'Hanlon Bar at 118-12 Queens Blvd, Forest Hills, NY, is directly outside one of the entrances to the Kew Gardens/Union Turnpike stop.
Yeah, it's weird there--Union Turnpike is pretty much the dividing line between Kew Gardens and Forest Hills. If you go back a block from Queens Blvd to Austin Street, there are a lot of apartment buildings there and generally they are a bit cheaper than the buildings in Forest Hills proper--i.e. 71st/Ascan area.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:07 AM

343 posts, read 1,025,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMaru View Post
I've got about 7-9 days on the ground in NYC (From Texas) to locate an apartment in Forest Hills. Here are my stats bulleted to make it easier to read.

Room requirement- 2-3 bedroom, 1-2 bath
Location: not too far from public transit (I will work in Bronx and Wife in Far Roackaway so this works best for both of us)
Occupants: Wife, 2 kids under 4yo, possible roommate
Budget- 2,000 - 3,000 a month, more than likely will have roommate

I've found prices on Trulia that fit my needs but here are my questions

- What papers, documents do I need?
- Anyone recently rented and recommend a broker or property?
- Concerned about my very loud kids, how difficult will it be to find a place?
- I'll complete pediatric training by the end of June and need to find a job (currently in the process of), future income potential is there but how much of a problem will this be not having a contract and proof of income?

Thanks!!! This forum has been a life saver!!!
40x the rent and documentation as others have noted. If you have nothing, you will need to pay in advance. Kew gardens or Briarwood is a better location if your wife has to work in far rockaway, and you in the bronx, but it would be a dual mode of transit for both of you (bus to train). Depending on where you are working in the Bronx, the Q44 is not too far away on Main Street, and that will get you to the Bronx neighborhoods of Throgs Neck, Parkchester, West Farms, Soundview, etc in about an hour. your wife would need to take the Q10 bus to the A train for Far Rockaway, or the E/F train to Jamaica for the Q113.

You can find 3beds in Kew Gardens for around $1900. Walk around the neighborhood if you can and write down the telephone numbers for management companies that they have listed in the buildings. I would also explore the area closer to the grand central parkway along Main Street.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:26 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7146...RGjDfvsncg!2e0

I personally find the 71st area of FH much nicer and more interesting, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post
Yeah, it's weird there--Union Turnpike is pretty much the dividing line between Kew Gardens and Forest Hills. If you go back a block from Queens Blvd to Austin Street, there are a lot of apartment buildings there and generally they are a bit cheaper than the buildings in Forest Hills proper--i.e. 71st/Ascan area.
Just like the Union Turnpike Station is the dividing line between Forest Hills and Kew Gardens, the 67th Avenue Station is the dividing line between Forest Hills & Rego Park (although this station is also in Forest Hills). The best area in Forest Hills is near the 71st Avenue express subway stop station. But I think the 67th Avenue station area is more convenient and has more to offer than the Union Turnpike Station area in terms of local amenities.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:06 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
From the Union Tpke station you have a much closer walk to Forest Park which is a nice plus. But much less in terms of stores vs the stops to the west.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:41 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,397 times
Try the Parker Towers by 70th and Queens. Since you don't have a job, you going to have some problem with alot of the rentals there, especially the coop rentals. Parker is little more expensive but is not coop and easier on income qualify checking.

Friend of mine live there is around 3k for a 3bd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City