Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 01:58 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,330,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Because their community indirectly yielded such talent as the late Big Punisher & the Terror Squad (including singer Tony Sunshine) as well as Fat Joe, Jennifer Lopez, rapper Noreaga (he's half PR), NBA player Carmelo Anthony (half PR), Melo's wife LaLa Anthony (yum! Cheerios!!!), etc. etc.

Lol. I just couldn't resist. I'm actually from Chicago though, where the largely Puerto Rican "Latin Kings" gang originated. Chicago also has a PR day parade that revolves largely around the PR-dominated Humboldt Park neighborhood.
Yes I never got to visit the PR hood in Chicago when I use to visit. I need to hurry since I heard gentrification has been touching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Hmmm I beg to differ lol. In the neighborhood (block) that I grew up in now all you see are Dominicans. Not saying it in a bad way just an observation. Before all you used to see were Puerto Rican and African American people. Now mainly I see Dominicans with a few Puerto Ricans here and there. In the Bronx, NY you only used to hear Hip Hop and Salsa. Then came the 90s and you would hear Reggaeton. Now mainly you would hear Bachata (Dominican music) and Dembow (Dominican Reggae). I see some South Americans too. So they are moving to the Bronx as well. Also in Spanish Harlem you do not see a lot of Puerto Ricans anymore. Now all you see are Mexicans. In the future I strongly believe that the Puerto Rican population will be like the Italian population in NYC.

Any inputs?
You might be over doing it with the east Harlem comment. But idk for some reason now I just assume every Hispanic person I see is Dominican (unless they are mestizo off coarse) but then they hit me with the NO - I'm Puerto Rican.

So I agree it's a mix.

John jay college is a Dominican school. As a Haitian kid I feel like I stepped over the boarder when I'm in there lol. Cool ppl though lol.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:10 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,657,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
You might be over doing it with the east Harlem comment. But idk for some reason now I just assume every Hispanic person I see is Dominican (unless they are mestizo off coarse) but then they hit me with the NO - I'm Puerto Rican.

So I agree it's a mix.

John jay college is a Dominican school. As a Haitian kid I feel like I stepped over the boarder when I'm in there lol. Cool ppl though lol.
Lol see you assume that every Hispanic is Dominican, because that's all you see nowadays in NYC.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Lol see you assume that every Hispanic is Dominican, because that's all you see nowadays in NYC.
Yea whenever I see a Caribbean looking Hispanic person that speaks exclusively Spanish I just assume Dominican off the bat.

Off coarse many times I've been wrong and have gotten the no I'm Colombian, Puerto Rican.

Panamanians and Puerto Ricans tend to speak way more English.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Yea whenever I see a Caribbean looking Hispanic person that speaks exclusively Spanish I just assume Dominican off the bat.

Off coarse many times I've been wrong and have gotten the no I'm Colombian, Puerto Rican.

Panamanians and Puerto Ricans tend to speak way more English.
Hmm never heard of Panamenians speaking a lot of English. However I do always hear many Puerto Ricans speaking English. The reason for this is because PRs have been in NYC for a very long time. They started to come to NY by 1898 after the Spanish-American war. Also not many people know this, but Puerto Ricans also helped in creating Hip Hop in the South Bronx along with the African American people. Puerto Ricans also fought in WWI and WWII. However I will leave this for another day as it is another topic lol.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,022,944 times
Quote:
Hmmm I beg to differ lol. In the neighborhood (block) that I grew up in now all you see are Dominicans. Not saying it in a bad way just an observation. Before all you used to see were Puerto Rican and African American people. Now mainly I see Dominicans with a few Puerto Ricans here and there. In the Bronx, NY you only used to hear Hip Hop and Salsa. Then came the 90s and you would hear Reggaeton. Now mainly you would hear Bachata (Dominican music) and Dembow (Dominican Reggae). I see some South Americans too. So they are moving to the Bronx as well. Also in Spanish Harlem you do not see a lot of Puerto Ricans anymore. Now all you see are Mexicans. In the future I strongly believe that the Puerto Rican population will be like the Italian population in NYC.

Any inputs?
Absolutely. There will be a few ethnic neighborhoods but for the most part Nuyricans like the Italians have moved out to the 'burbs, intermarried with other ethnic groups, and their grandchildren will have to take Spanish in school because they won't hear it home. I know at least half a dozen families where the kids are half or one-quarter Puerto Rican.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Hmm never heard of Panamenians speaking a lot of English. However I do always hear many Puerto Ricans speaking English. The reason for this is because PRs have been in NYC for a very long time. They started to come to NY by 1898 after the Spanish-American war. Also not many people know this, but Puerto Ricans also helped in creating Hip Hop in the South Bronx along with the African American people. Puerto Ricans also fought in WWI and WWII. However I will leave this for another day as it is another topic lol.
Panamanians in New York speak a lot of English because the ones who come here are from the parts by the Caribbean Sea and panaman canal and they are mostly black. Many of their ancestors come from Jamaican, Barbados and Trinidad etc.

Come to Brooklyn and you can't even tell the difference between a Panamanian and African American/Puerto Rican depending on their skin tone.

Similar to the Puerto Ricans the Panamanians in NYC don't make it a culture to pass down Spanish to their children.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Absolutely. There will be a few ethnic neighborhoods but for the most part Nuyricans like the Italians have moved out to the 'burbs, intermarried with other ethnic groups, and their grandchildren will have to take Spanish in school because they won't hear it home. I know at least half a dozen families where the kids are half or one-quarter Puerto Rican.
True to be honest I have seen every mix possible when talking to Puerto Ricans. In fact I grew up with a girl who was half Puerto Rican half Ukrainian.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,022,944 times
Quote:
If you want to see some really confused faces - - I have a NY Yankees T-Shirt with a Dominican flag as part of the print. Dominicans in the city look at it . . . then look at me - 6'4" with blue eyes. It's a real conversation starter.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Panamanians in New York speak a lot of English because the ones who come here are from the parts by the Caribbean Sea and panaman canal and they are mostly black. Many of their ancestors come from Jamaican, Barbados and Trinidad etc.

Come to Brooklyn and you can't even tell the difference between a Panamanian and African American/Puerto Rican depending on their skin tone.

Similar to the Puerto Ricans the Panamanians in NYC don't make it a culture to pass down Spanish to their children.
Interesting. Yes I agree many of the Panamanians are dark. However I did not know that the Panamanians who come here come from the panama canal. Interesting. If you go to Orlando, FL you would mainly see Puerto Ricans. Like literally on every corner you would see Puerto Ricans. However these Puerto Ricans are very different from the ones in NYC. They speak more Spanish over there. I thought that I was in Puerto Rico over there when I went for the first time lol. They also dress different too. They dress like the Puerto Ricans in PR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City