Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 01:41 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
If you want to see some really confused faces - - I have a NY Yankees T-Shirt with a Dominican flag as part of the print. Dominicans in the city look at it . . . then look at me - 6'4" with blue eyes. It's a real conversation starter.
Oh lol! Yeah is not that common. Are you Dominican by the way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,029,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Oh lol! Yeah is not that common. Are you Dominican by the way?
No, 6th generation Mutt NYer originally from The Bronx, I have about 30 Yankees T-Shirts so I bought that one because it was different.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:57 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Interesting. Yes I agree many of the Panamanians are dark. However I did not know that the Panamanians who come here come from the panama canal. Interesting. If you go to Orlando, FL you would mainly see Puerto Ricans. Like literally on every corner you would see Puerto Ricans. However these Puerto Ricans are very different from the ones in NYC. They speak more Spanish over there. I thought that I was in Puerto Rico over there when I went for the first time lol. They also dress different too. They dress like the Puerto Ricans in PR.
Na not that their from the Panama Canal lol. They are from the coastal sections of the country which lie on the Caribbean Sea. Most of their ancestors from the Caribbean came to the country to help build the canal.

That's funny I thought the Orlando Ricans were just a bunch of Ricans from NYC. I like Ricans and like orlando. Mainly because as a black man I feel like PR people are open minded to everybody and not bias or praising of others.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:57 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Puerto Rico, but why does it get such a massive parade?
Because it has massive support

Old 06-12-2014, 01:58 PM

Every time I go to west Harlem the Dominicans talk to me and seem to think every human on broadway is Dominican lol.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:33 PM

31,887 posts, read 26,916,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Absolutely. There will be a few ethnic neighborhoods but for the most part Nuyricans like the Italians have moved out to the 'burbs, intermarried with other ethnic groups, and their grandchildren will have to take Spanish in school because they won't hear it home. I know at least half a dozen families where the kids are half or one-quarter Puerto Rican.
Out on Staten Island or parts of South Brooklyn you will seen plenty of persons you'd swear were full blooded Italian, but are part PR. Even some of the full blooded PRs act and or try to give the impression they are Italian or Sicilian. Then there are those that simply assume any dark/Latin good looking man or woman out there *IS* Italian.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Out on Staten Island or parts of South Brooklyn you will seen plenty of persons you'd swear were full blooded Italian, but are part PR. Even some of the full blooded PRs act and or try to give the impression they are Italian or Sicilian. Then there are those that simply assume any dark/Latin good looking man or woman out there *IS* Italian.
I have never seen a Puerto Rican trying to act Italian/Sicilian and I live in southern Brooklyn. Idk but then again you have witnessed this so I can't argue or disagree. But you are spot on about the mixing. I know plenty of Italian/PR families in Brooklyn.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:37 PM

774 posts, read 906,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I got nothing against Puerto Rico, but why does it get such a massive parade? My country doesn't even have one. Peru doesn't have a parade, Ecuador has a small one, Colombia has a small one, it's like why does Puerto Rico get a special treatment? :/ I wish other countries would get equal treatment
Symbolic Minorities- Puerto Ricans are Symbolic Minorities, so are Jews, Arabs, Women, Blacks.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:39 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
I have never seen a Puerto Rican trying to act Italian/Sicilian and I live in southern Brooklyn. Idk but then again you have witnessed this so I can't argue or disagree. But you are spot on about the mixing. I know plenty of Italian/PR families in Brooklyn.
I always see the opposite. Even if someone is like 75% white 25% PR they will do their best to pretend they're a full blown latino.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I always see the opposite. Even if someone is like 75% white 25% PR they will do their best to pretend they're a full blown latino.
Oh yes this is true throughout America in general. It seems that many people who are either half black or half Hispanic will choose to rep their black/Hispanic side over Asian/white sides.

My good friend is Dominican and Scottish and looks pure white. Call her white and she gets offended. Maybe her living in orange, New Jersey has something to do with it lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City