Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:43 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times

Advertisements

I can't confirm or deny those as I had one tv that went into a brick wall, and then another tv that has 3 screws in the stud, and then 3 into drywall with the drywall screws. I didn't use any of my own hardware, just what came with the TV mount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 08:51 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I vote for DIY too.

I mounted my own flat screen. It turns out my condo (and probably any newer construction) had metal wall studs, so I needed to get some metal anchors. Other than determining whether you have wood or metal studs, anyone with a drill can mount a TV, otherwise you have to hand in your man card.
Damn right.

you can't call yourself a man, if you can't do something as simple as this.

it's not like you're trying to build a log cabin in the woods.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:50 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Thank you very much guys, Skinnayyy, Tommy, and Kefir.

Yeah the drill would be used for the home.

Reason I wanted something with power is that I have a cheap drill already that barely drills anything. It takes at least a 1/2 hour to drill one hole. I was drilling holes through my metal door for a lock so I've been yearning for another drill for awhile that could handle jobs like that.

I was impatient and couldn't wait any longer so I had already ordered one before there was a response, I went with Dewalt for their good reviews. I'll look up what you suggested too in case I might decide to send this one back.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:34 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
luvnyc,
Often it is the drill bit that makes for the half-hour holes. I tend to use bits longer than I should (cheapskate) so I have experienced it.

So you have drywall over steel studs?

Old 06-14-2014, 07:48 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,189 times
PRIMO TV INSTALLATION

Old 06-17-2014, 01:53 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
luvnyc,
Often it is the drill bit that makes for the half-hour holes. I tend to use bits longer than I should (cheapskate) so I have experienced it.

So you have drywall over steel studs?
Yeah the bits are probably cheap like the drill. I hadn't used them much for them to be worn down and I might not had the right bit for the job too. I had to hammer a nail through the metal first because none of the bits would penetrate, after that there was concrete behind it which was a pain too. This was around the door, I doubt if steel anything is used in this apartment so just the cheapest of the cheap under the drywall. Drilling into the drywall around here shouldn't be a problem.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:04 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Yeah the bits are probably cheap like the drill. I hadn't used them much for them to be worn down and I might not had the right bit for the job too. I had to hammer a nail through the metal first because none of the bits would penetrate, after that there was concrete behind it which was a pain too. This was around the door, I doubt if steel anything is used in this apartment so just the cheapest of the cheap under the drywall. Drilling into the drywall around here shouldn't be a problem.
I'd wager it's the wrong bits too. If you use the right bits you can actually hand turn them to make your hole. (that's how they did it in the old days before drills) I was spending a half hour per hole when I was drilling into the brick wall. I got frustrated and went out and bought a bit specifically for brick, and the holes were done in seconds.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
You really gotta match the bits to the job. For metal you need titanium steel bits. For wood, any kind of steel bit "twist drill" will work unless you have super hard wood...hickory, oak, walnut. For brick and concrete you need a bit with a triangular carbide tip welded on.

Hanging a TV is not very hard with ONE exception, drywall over thin steel studs. In fact all manufacturers recommend against even trying. But I have proved it is not impossible <congratulating self.>
It is important because anything built after post war is probably drywall over steel studs because it is fast and cheap construction and has the advantage of being fireproof...it is everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City