Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 02:26 PM

110 posts, read 218,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I want to know my options as far as moving to new york with little money. I have a job opportunity that just lined up. i dont have enought money to put down for an appartment.But i dont want to not get the job and save up more then not find another job for months. Is there a way i could move there and stay somewhere really cheap or some sort of free community housing?? All i need is about 1-2 months to save more money. Again i will have a pretty decent job when i get there but when i first arrive i will have very little WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS???!!!!!
It can be done, but will be tricky. Save as much as you can before moving. Sell everything from your current home that you don't need. Get a loan, if possible. You can easily find someone on craigslist renting a furnished room by the week or month. Not sure what your budget it, but the more roomates there are, usually the cheaper it is. Just come here with your bare essentials in a few suitcases. You can make it work if you really want to be here. You're lucky to be coming here with a job opportunity - it's usually very hard for an out of towner to get a job offer here unless you're very senior or have a very niche profession.

Since you are low on cash, I'm sure you won't find the most convenient or glamorous place, but who cares - you'll be in NYC. Stay in your cheap housing as long as possible and use it as an opportunity to save up lots of cash so you can be more selective in your next move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 06:44 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
Oh wow, I didn't realize someone would be able to save $100. Not sure why anyone would be concerned about moving here with savings if you can save $100 when here. If you stick to one $1 slice of pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you can easily get by for a month - I mean assuming there's no tax and and you spend $7 on everything else for the month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
This isn't always true.

Depends on the career or profession.

I worked 37 1/2 hour in my home town and was lucky if I had enough to have pizza delivered.

Whereas working in NY I ALWAYS had at least $100 and up leftover after taxes and paying bills in each paycheck.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:50 PM

836 posts, read 1,031,607 times
I've never used Couchsurfing before but perhaps check there and see if you can stay in someone's living room until you get on your feet?

Since NYC is so expensive there are tons of people out there trying to rent out parts in their (already teeny) apartments to knock the price of their rent down. So you could look into it? Since it is the summer, I'm sure college students will be returning home and will be trying to sublease their place for a few months which would give you enough time to save up (depending on how you manage your money, and how much you're making) for an apartment.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:56 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Oh wow, I didn't realize someone would be able to save $100. Not sure why anyone would be concerned about moving here with savings if you can save $100 when here. If you stick to one $1 slice of pizza for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you can easily get by for a month - I mean assuming there's no tax and and you spend $7 on everything else for the month.
This was per check smart butt, I had several hundred leftover after rent and bills. Something that would never happen back home at the time.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:02 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyDNYC View Post
It can be done, but will be tricky. Save as much as you can before moving. Sell everything from your current home that you don't need. Get a loan, if possible. You can easily find someone on craigslist renting a furnished room by the week or month. Not sure what your budget it, but the more roomates there are, usually the cheaper it is. Just come here with your bare essentials in a few suitcases. You can make it work if you really want to be here. You're lucky to be coming here with a job opportunity - it's usually very hard for an out of towner to get a job offer here unless you're very senior or have a very niche profession.

Since you are low on cash, I'm sure you won't find the most convenient or glamorous place, but who cares - you'll be in NYC. Stay in your cheap housing as long as possible and use it as an opportunity to save up lots of cash so you can be more selective in your next move.
Good advice. I did this and whatever I didn't sell I put in storage to get later. OP sale anything you can do without but keep what would be expensive to replace here in NYC.

This is what I'd done also.

OP since summer is due soon, check with college campuses. When I returned to live here Brooklyn Tech opened their newly built dorms to the public for the summer. It was very reasonable, safe, clean, with security and free cable/wi-fi and laundry facilities in the basement. I don't know if they're doing this anymore but you could inquire.

Good luck.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:29 AM

237 posts, read 329,757 times
Craigslist. Find a furnished room, but be careful of scams. A shelter, believe it or not, is an option. there's a men's shelter on 30th st and 1st ave. If you go that route, though, only sleep there. get a cheap gym membership, and use their facilities for showering, etc, daily. Also, be gone in no more than 3-4 weeks, or they'll ship you to another facility, most likely the one by yankee stadium in the bronx. When looking at furnished rooms, look at jersey city. cheaper, and only a 30 min commute to manhattan.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:49 PM

50 posts, read 77,680 times
Since you already have a job lined up, how about contacting their HR department and asking if there is anything they can help you with?

Everyone gave you good advice...shelters, craigslist, renting a room, YMCA.

Oh, go on nyc.gov for affordable housing apartments. There is usually a waiting list but if you apply before you arrive you may luck up.

Best wishes.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:50 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
NYC doesn't want people like you. Tough Love.
Why? At least he has a job lined up before he gets there. You act like he was asking about where he could make the most money panhandling.

It's always nice to see kind and helpful replies on the forums. Thanks to those that offered good advice to the OP.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:54 AM

678 posts, read 697,505 times
thanks everybody again hopefully everything works out with this job

Old 06-19-2014, 04:07 AM

6 posts, read 5,848 times
Default nationality

Sorry, and as it is possible to obtain nationality in America, having simply arrived to New York. And in general really to make it. Long ago I dreamed to get over to America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: