Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 09:54 PM

158 posts, read 303,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching4ARainbow View Post
Ok this must be how they calculated my income to be over. It just so happens that I worked a holiday in the last six weeks and one paycheck I think had a little overtime (like an hour). If they are adding the checks together and then averaging, I would probably be over. That's pretty ridiculous. My understanding is that most other government sponsored programs consider your income to be what your base salary is. So,you have to calculate nonexistent money as part of your salary just in case your check happens to have a couple of extra dollars on it every once in awhile. Ridiculous.
Yeah they really make it difficult. I guess if you come across any lotteries where the minimum income is slightly above what you make then go ahead and apply and if you get a denial letter appeal it and let them add it up in front of you. Also, the easiest way to get into one of these apartments is to live in the community board-so apply to anything in your CB and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 06:01 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
They are "scams" in the sense that most of the units, purchase or rental, go to transplant young people with significant parental money behind them. On paper, they make $25,000 - $30,000 in that prestigious low-pay job or internship. Few people realize this.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Income includes overtime pay.

Too bad you missed out by so very little...that has to hurt.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:56 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
They are "scams" in the sense that most of the units, purchase or rental, go to transplant young people with significant parental money behind them. On paper, they make $25,000 - $30,000 in that prestigious low-pay job or internship. Few people realize this.
And you have statistical proof of this?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:58 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Your *friend* still had to apply and go though a vetting process regardless if the pool was restricted to artists. Same as for the other special categories of reserved 80/20 housing. In each while the potential make up of the lottery pool may be different all still must meet certain criteria and have their ducks in a row as to being able to supply requested materials and documents.
And the primary source of income he supplied was a SSI award letter as he does not have a stable employment history. He still got in the 80/20.

It's not quite what you made it to be, and yes there are people on government programs in 80/20s.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 AM

125 posts, read 229,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Income includes overtime pay.

Too bad you missed out by so very little...that has to hurt.
Yes, it does.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:03 AM

252 posts, read 607,809 times
Disagree with the people saying they are scams and for transplant people with parents help. Ive applied to every lottery out there I was income eligible for. I got interviews with 3. I went on one interview & signed my lease 2 months later. They are VERY to the books and stick by the guidelines. It is a LONG process and a PITA to go through it. You cannot be even a penny over the income guidelines or they will deny you. With that said, i was born and raised in NYC , wish i got help from my parents cause i dont & go to work everyday like everyone else in my building. From speaking to people in my building they are from ny and all work. So th whole scam thing is not true. It is a lottery, not easy to come by at all. Thats why its called a lottery you need to see if you get picked. It is by no means a scam but a way for new yorkers to be able to afford to live in this expensive city

Old 06-24-2014, 11:47 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli722 View Post
Disagree with the people saying they are scams and for transplant people with parents help. Ive applied to every lottery out there I was income eligible for. I got interviews with 3. I went on one interview & signed my lease 2 months later. They are VERY to the books and stick by the guidelines. It is a LONG process and a PITA to go through it. You cannot be even a penny over the income guidelines or they will deny you. With that said, i was born and raised in NYC , wish i got help from my parents cause i dont & go to work everyday like everyone else in my building. From speaking to people in my building they are from ny and all work. So th whole scam thing is not true. It is a lottery, not easy to come by at all. Thats why its called a lottery you need to see if you get picked. It is by no means a scam but a way for new yorkers to be able to afford to live in this expensive city
So ... your particular experience tells a universal truth of the whole.

Interesting thought process.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Alot of people automatically assume its a scam, you need to know someone to get in,etc.
But you dont. They are just very strict on the guidelines,simple as that

Old 06-24-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:

And im not saying I have the universal truth on the entire matter. But I know friends that have lottery apartments as well and they are not transplanted from another state so to assume most are isnt true. Many prople from nyc use these lotteries as a well to live in noce buildings in nice neighborhoods that tey wouldnt be able to afford without the lottery.
I had alot of people tell me why waste your time dont apply or have the thought process like you, that the average working ny'er wont get it. As long as your within guidelines, you wont be denied
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery