Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2014, 02:09 PM

580 posts, read 2,075,659 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a recommendation for a primary care physician taking new patients who specializes or is known for treating patients who have "white coat syndrome" or have a fear of doctors? Would be using United Healthcare insurance.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 02:20 PM

145 posts, read 283,886 times
I get this too, brother. Sucks. I think a lot of people probably do. I'm not certain exactly what you're asking, but I don't know that any physicians actively specialize in it. Anywhere. It's just something where you have to find a doc who understands and won't freak out at your high numbers. Get yourself a good bp machine (Omron for example), take home readings and bring the machine in with you. Other than that, it's all about learning to manage anxiety I suppose. Hypnotherapy perhaps ($$$)? I would love to learn something new from this thread though...

Old 07-04-2014, 02:25 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,836,839 times
It's tough.
In spite of all the evidence, most doctors assume white coaters are lying. Since it is something that, by definition, no doctor can ever witness, their arrogance prevents them from believing it exists.

There is no treatment for "White Coat Hypertension." And there is no treatment NEEDED except to perhaps change doctors who "believe" it exists and suitably ignores the issue.
It is a condition caused by a rise in blood pressure by people who fear their doctors and their potential incompetence. If a cure is needed, the avoidance of doctors might be it.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 21,098 times
I have horrible "white coat syndrome" with anxiety acute enough that I faint and occasionally have mild seizures. This has happened throughout my entire life and, at times, was crippling enough that the anxiety spilled out into my daily life as I thought all the time about illness and doctors!

What helped me initially was anxiety medications, meditative therapy, and exercise.

I can highly recommend the One Medical Group for just being very non-medical about the whole doctor experience. There's a fee to join their group but if you use healthcare enough and truly fear going to the point where your health is at risk, it's totally worth it.

Best Doctors in NYC — One Medical Group
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City