Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:24 PM

118 posts, read 160,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Let me know if one happens in Midtown
Midtown Manhattan has the same homicide rate as Beverly Hills. 0.

I'm not sure why these crime stories draw so many threads here. Unless City-Data posters are more destitute than I'd imagine, nearly all of these crimes happen in bad neighborhoods and the victims were all bad guys, drug dealers and/or moved in shady groups of thugs. It's very rare that someone who stays out of trouble and away from questionable people is gunned down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 08:30 PM

118 posts, read 160,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You slice and dice for conformity of the data. You slice and dice the bigger cities and add to the smaller ones so that they can be placed into the same model.

The rest of your post is nonsense so I just ignored it.
New York is already sliced and diced by virtue of the city being slice and diced via boroughs. And New York has precincts and the crime data is readily available and you can compare them to other cities if you wish.

Neighborhood Scout already took it a further step and sliced and diced it into the lowest denominator -- city blocks. Not a single block in New York ranks in the top 25.

Comparing these entire boroughs and precincts to other cities in America yields the same results -- New York has a low rate of crime for a city. Accept it and move on.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:58 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I have to agree. I served my nation, protected it against all enemies, sacrificed missing the arrival of my son, babies first Christmas, anniversary, basically year one of either of my boys lives I don't remember, cause I wasn't there

I'll own a gun if I want to, matter of fact I do.

I'm so tired of this political correctness, liberal elitist, mindless crap.

Take all all the guns away and law abiding citizens will just follow along. But know this, criminals do not respect laws, do not respect life, they will still be armed, and they will still have the intent to harm or kill.
Former military - I can understand why you want to own a gun. What do I need one for? I live in one of the most dangerous hoods in the city and never thought about ever owning one....

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-06-2014, 10:12 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Gun control is a grey area. Guns is the hands of responsible people who just want to protect their families against a home invasion or other types of crime is ok HOWEVER guns in irresponsible and reckless people is a huge disaster.

Therefore the saying Guns don't kill people, people kill people holds true.
Surely you wouldn't want higher rates of gun ownership among those you detest in the Bronx. So you do favor some form of gun control. No one wants mentally ill, drug addicts, or criminals to have easy access to guns.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Very few pro-gun states even have ghettos comparable to what NYC alone produces. Very few neighborhoods will come close to our worst if compared directly. It's the constant twisting of the data which makes NYC look good compared to pro-gun American red states. Louisianna and Florida are the only true pro-gun states that have legit crime rates worse than ours. Of course New Hampshire and Vermont are treated as if they don't exist by anti-gunners for obvious reasons.
Smaller cities like Birmingham and Atlanta have pretty nasty ghettoes as well.

And I am glad you mentioned New Orleans and the bad parts of Florida.

The pro gun red states like Montana don't have big cities, either.

I

Old 07-06-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Come on man....I know you know the ghettoes of upstate NY are no walk in the park. Buffalo and Rochester both have some pretty tough areas with gunplay. Either way the whole country as one should have just as tough laws as NYC does when it comes to guns.
Syracuse has some pretty rough areas too. Even some of the smaller towns like Cortland and Ithaca have bad parts of town full of drugs and YES, people DO GET SHOT!

Old 07-06-2014, 10:18 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Smaller cities like Birmingham and Atlanta have pretty nasty ghettoes as well.

And I am glad you mentioned New Orleans and the bad parts of Florida.

The pro gun red states like Montana don't have big cities, either.

I

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Syracuse has some pretty rough areas too. Even some of the smaller towns like Cortland and Ithaca have bad parts of town full of drugs and YES, people DO GET SHOT!
I even heard Newburgh, NY was one THE most dangerous city in the country at one time. The murder capital of New York.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:23 PM

72 posts, read 90,384 times
How come all these ultra-dangerous towns are majority black?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:25 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
I nominate ZooYorker for race baiter of the year.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:26 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooYorker View Post
How come all these ultra-dangerous towns are majority black?

Because whites left when they moved in.

Lets see this turn to a race topic thread in 5,4,3,2...

lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City