U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-18-2007, 08:29 AM

68 posts, read 185,806 times
Default Pics of the Bronx back in the day?

Hi,

I was intrested in seeing what my neighborhood looked like back in the 50's and 60's and was wondering if there was a site I could visit to check out pics. Any information provided would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:22 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,715,061 times
There is a site with a lot of old Bronx pictures. I will have to look it up.

EDIT: Here you go http://www.theamazingbronx.com/

Old 12-18-2007, 09:27 AM

Thanks so much.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 AM

2,806 posts, read 11,715,061 times
No problem. The pics are actually somewhat depressing for me. Most of the borough is a shadow of its former self. Most of those pics look clean & safe. Today the Bronx is for the most party dirty and dangerous.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:30 AM
DAS

2,264 posts, read 3,638,212 times
Quote:
No problem. The pics are actually somewhat depressing for me. Most of the borough is a shadow of its former self. Most of those pics look clean & safe. Today the Bronx is for the most party dirty and dangerous.
This is true for some areas of the Bronx, but I'm happy that these pictures are out there because I always hear the elders talk about the Bronx being this way and I've seen other pics. A lot of people have never seen it like this. So when you have posters on this forum that have a vision to try to bring this back most people think it can't be done. But a lot of the negativity is because they have never seen it like this.

What I'm more afraid of is that another vision will over ride this one that excludes families and working people. These pics are really nice.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:58 AM

There is another site that has a lot of cool pics I found called bronxboard.com. My friends say I have an old soul and should have been born a lot earlier than I was. Looking at the older photos, I might have enjoyed living in the bronx back then.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:25 PM

2,978 posts, read 908,759 times
Yes it is nice to see how the Bronx used to be....yes the pics do make the Bronx LOOK clean and safe...but le's be real...the brutal Irish Gangs...Mob..and various other gangs made the Bronx anything but safe.

It's nice to romanticize history as something better than it was....its human nature...but the Bronx was certianly no crime free paradise..it certianly LOOKED cleaner and safer in the pics though. I love seeing the old buildings!

Old 12-18-2007, 01:56 PM
DAS

Quote:
Yes it is nice to see how the Bronx used to be....yes the pics do make the Bronx LOOK clean and safe...but le's be real...the brutal Irish Gangs...Mob..and various other gangs made the Bronx anything but safe.

It's nice to romanticize history as something better than it was....its human nature...but the Bronx was certianly no crime free paradise..it certianly LOOKED cleaner and safer in the pics though. I love seeing the old buildings!
That is true. However a lot of people have never seen the Bronx look this clean. They may think that that is impossible. Even with the crime and other bad elements back then, they were still able to keep it clean and affordable for families. Nowadays it seems that clean is synonymous with wealth and affordable is impossible and the two can't possibly exist together.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:27 PM

2,978 posts, read 908,759 times
Lol...jus about every neighborhood back in the 50s..including neighborhoods of color were clean...everyone..even the dirt poor, wore suits and presented themselves properly for the most part. It is the deterioration of our whole society that created the loss of values and self-respect which caused much of the problems we see today.

The Bronx was cleaner...but it was certianly no paradise either.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:55 PM
DAS

Quote:
Lol...jus about every neighborhood back in the 50s..including neighborhoods of color were clean...everyone..even the dirt poor, wore suits and presented themselves properly for the most part. It is the deterioration of our whole society that created the loss of values and self-respect which caused much of the problems we see today.

The Bronx was cleaner...but it was certianly no paradise either.
That is exactly what I'm saying. That is why I'm always recommending the book The Beautiful Bronx. It has nothing to do with race or money. I think that people don't know that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City