U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:41 PM

2,588 posts, read 1,928,685 times

Advertisements

I have some questions about Staff Analyst Trainee job in NYC.

So, I took the exam for Staff Analyst Trainee, and I want to know what to expect. After passing the exam, should I only wait for notification from the city government notification when I am choose for an interview? Or should I start applying for job on my own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 93,376 times
Would you mind answering a few questions? What was the exam like? If you used the material on OSA's site, were you well prepared? Was there a lot of math/stats? What should I expect. Im stressing out and this would help a lot. Thanks

Old 07-14-2014, 11:07 AM

The exam is a computer multiple choice exam. It is a mix of putting steps in order, math problems, and grammar rule. The material from the OSA site is helpful as in term of preparing the exam in general. You should be fine if you are good at english and Math. If you have problem sorting information in organized orders, then you might be in trouble. The questions are straightforward. Whatever that is asked on the question, the answer is there. Is not hard to be honest, but you do have to be detail orientated. I was having concern when i first took the exam, but after i took the exam, it seems fine. Wish the best luck to you, thats all i can say.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:13 AM

You don't understand how much that helps me. I was worried it was going to be only personnel, managerial, budgetary/contract questions (are there those on the test?). I feel like I'm very strong in math and english so this just made my day. As far as the "sorting information in organized orders", is the info based on prior knowledge, or is it just question based (i.e. do they draw from outside knowledge of something like EEO or do you just put the info they give you in order)?

Again, thanks so much for answering and I hope your question gets answered.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:33 AM

The sorting information will be base on information that they provide you. I have a feeling that you will do extremely good, maybe around high 90s, simply you have strong English and Math background. The higher you score, the more likely you will get an interview from city agent sooner. The exam does not draw questions from outside of thr information. No prior knowledge is required. Every questions will have given information. So, no worry. Last thing, once you complete your exam, your score will be display on the screen, and you will know right away of what you got on the exam. Also, if you feel like there are questions that you think is definitely wrong, you can attend the protest event, which is the event that you will be show of which question you got wrong, and if you want to protest to them by explaining to them as to why your answer is better than their chosen answer. Keep me updated of what you score on the exam if possible.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:35 AM

There will be 80 questions on the exam, and you have to score 70% correctly in order to pass. Keep in mind, you want to score as high as possible because it will make you to be on the top list. Thus, when they come to seeking for candidates to fill positions, you will be consider first.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:40 AM

You are the best.

Now someone answer his question immediately!

Old 07-14-2014, 11:48 AM

Hahaha...thank you for that support. I did found some information, and I will share it here.

The way how it works as follow. After taking the exam, the scores will be on a eligible list after the protest event is done. The list will be base on the highest score down to the lowest score, which is the 70% of correct answers. When the city agents are seeking candidate to fulfill the staff analyst position, the list will be provided to them, and they will schedule interview base on that list. Each agent will pick 3 candidate to interview, and the best one out of the 3 will be select for the position. At this time, there's no estimated time of when they will start looking g for candidate, but the waiting time is at least a month or two. The way how I came up with the one or two month is base on all the info I already know, which is the protest time period. On top of that, they need time to sort these score in orders.

Hope that will give you a better insight of what you expect after the exam.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:55 AM

Yes that helps. Thanks for everything

Old 07-20-2014, 01:35 PM

29 posts, read 210,054 times

Last edited by Muzic062014; 07-20-2014 at 01:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or