Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:09 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,925,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
white people should just keep it on the low in the ghetto like they used to do, instead of coming in droves like a plague and driving up the price of real estate.
Sooner or later all of Brooklyn and Queens will be expensive like Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 12:43 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,805,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
there goes the neighborhood.......or is it? 1/2 of east new york is the neimiah townhouses that were built to fill in vacant lots and I think a good portion of locals own those buildings......and im not sure if architechture loving hipsters would find those rowhouses interesting......new lots ave is relatively fair game but theres alot of cheap townhouses (to infill vacant lots) that hipsters might not think are architecturally appealing......the east and southern edges of the neighborhood may have some abandoned warehouses that hipsters love but theyre far from the the train and the rest of the housing is project buildings....

gentrification in some form will hit but I dont think itll be a swift conquest like williamsburg,fort greene and 1/2 of bed stuy was....heck I expect the rest of bed stuy and bushwick (the still hood mostly non white sides) to fully gentrify first before east new york becomes the new "nabe".....
I think you're right about this. Basically upper middle class people now find it more much convenient to live closer to work (middle class people too). That is driving gentrification. The poor people will eventually in much greater numbers be living in Long Island, Westchester (or other lower Hudson Valley places) or Jersey.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:44 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,805,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
This is already true of Western and Central Brooklyn and Queens.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:01 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post

please.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:56 PM

286 posts, read 351,808 times
another nudge for finalizing that rezoning. Yes "Affordable Housing" what a joke.

Arlington Village Brooklyn NY | Bluestone Group
Arlington Village Brooklyn NY | Bluestone Group

Old 03-24-2015, 08:17 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,242,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
This is already true of Western and Central Brooklyn and Queens.
No it is not. Maybe its gotten much more expensive, but still nowhere near Manhattan levels. I live in Central Queens, and since I bought the prices have increased drastically. But it is still considered affordable by Manhattan standards.

As for ENY...we're still waiting patiently to see their turn. Hopefully one day all of the hood parts of Brooklyn and Queens gentrify.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
People act like gentrification is needed in order for the neighborhood to recover. Its really not. Crime is already low, and it would be without gentrification. Mom n' Pop restaurants from residents is much better than bagel shops and cafes.

Also, BK and Queens may as well be, considering how the working class still can't afford the prices.
Lol at crime is low. I bet you think the schools are great as well. And bagel shops? Gentrifiers don't open up bagel shops. The people that got pushed out during the white flight era opened up the bagel shops.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
lol at thinking crime is high. I understand wanting to feel like NYC has rough hoods, but lets be real here. It can be rough without having an outrageous crime rate.

The people who left (they weren't pushed out) during the white flight are entering their senior years, they aren't the ones coming back to the city. Its the gentrifiers.
One day you'll be able to enjoy the quality of life that others are fortunate to enjoy. Of course some will get pushed out by the process, but those that can stay will end up benefiting most. And yes, these rough hoods have more crime and worse schools than those not so rough hoods. Its all relative. We're not making comparisons to Detroit or Ferguson, but with that of nabes within our own city limits.

And yes, those seniors that left due to white flight have grandchildren who are now all grown up. When there grandparents flew away decades ago, they didn't necessarily sell their properties. Nevertheless, even if they did sell, their grandchildren are packing up their bags and moving back to Brooklyn to replace you. And in 10, 20 or 30 years from now, QOL will be better in Brooklyn because of it.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I am making the comparison to other cities, because some people need a wake up call (like you, it seems). Its necessary because without comparing it to other cities you can't see that progress can be made. Another thing, you live in Queens. IDK how long you've been there, but I don't feel like you can tell me about how the QOL around here is. You seem to think that a hip bar is a sign of a better QOL, but I disagree. I think inter-community progress is much better. It looks as though most will have to leave however, so I feel "the few" who stay isn't a relevant argument.

What's the purpose of improving the QOL if the people who suffered from a lower QOL aren't even there anymore? That's not progress, its just shifting the residents. What's more important: Helping the people or making the city look different?
Just last week a guy from Bushwick got murdered by a guy from Bed-Stuy in my neighborhood. Just last weekend a guy from ENY got murdered by some unknown assailant (suspect also from ENY) in my parents neighborhood. So if Brooklynites are killing each other on my quiet suburb-like Queens streets, can't imagine what actually goes down on the other side of the boro border. Also I'd rather sit next to some harmless hipster on the L train than some project chick.

You can't help everyone. At some point people need to take responsibility for themselves and move on. They have no more of a right to live here than anyone else. And its not like NYC is known to be some cushy place with no competition. People need to wake up and get with the program, or bon voyage.

And who cares about other cities. Why should they set the bar? Maybe our ghetto trash can move there and make those cities better. I'd expect NYC to be better now and to advance faster going forward. If other cities can't keep up that's their issue.

Last edited by ShirlMastic Beach; 03-25-2015 at 11:39 AM..

Old 03-25-2015, 11:54 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,363,403 times
Where is that? Pitkin Avenue? Pennsylvania?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City