Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:28 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestbronx View Post
This city was not designed to appropriately handle methods of travel outside driving. Notice how much room is dedicated to it. This situation is not fair to the vast majority not in personal automobiles. Rule breaking is a reaction to this set up. NYC could use much more pedestrianization, mid block crossings, bicycle infrastructure, etc.

BTW, the speed limit was recently signed into a law as 25 MPH. Expect signage changes and cameras to start ticketing at 36 MPH.
Not everyone likes to take smelly buses filled with ghetto people and crying babies who crap themselves and make the whole bus stink, or overcrowded trains filled with beggers and gang members. Btw lowering the speed limit also affects buses, but we have Bill Dedumbass to thank for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 11:48 PM

10 posts, read 9,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Not everyone likes to take smelly buses filled with ghetto people and crying babies who crap themselves and make the whole bus stink, or overcrowded trains filled with beggers and gang members. Btw lowering the speed limit also affects buses, but we have Bill Dedumbass to thank for that.
Not really. Lowering the speed limit doesn't affect travel time because you're not going from point A to point B at the same pace non-stop (traffic control devices for example). What it does improve is reaction time when it comes to unexpected obstacles on the street. In an urban area, vehicles should travel slowly unless grade separate. The biggest problem are speed demons flying between red lights and stop signs.

The rest of what you say is stereotyping. I have a car yet typically use mass transit because it's usually faster and more convenient to where I am going (I bike too when possible). The vast majority of my subway and rides are pretty uneventful. Being in a car does not make you immune to the toxic smells of the road or unpleasant curb side trash either. Road rage is much more common than gang intimidation, I constantly have beggers knock on my window and I have no children (but I do have heaphones).

Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,669,806 times
There are reckless drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians. The reality is a lot of streets are just not designed for both cars and bicycles to operate safely side by side but no one is willing to admit that, especially people who try to push for more bicycles.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
There are reckless drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians. The reality is a lot of streets are just not designed for both cars and bicycles to operate safely side by side but no one is willing to admit that, especially people who try to push for more bicycles.
Cars & bikes would be fine without the pedestrians. The pedestrians are used to hogging the margins for themselves but that's where the bicycles travel. If people stayed on the corner instead of the parking lane to wait for the light that would prevent half of all the altercations between bikes & cars/people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City