Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:47 PM

191 posts, read 220,492 times

Advertisements

more than good salary, that's some serious dough to live comfortably even on manhattan; not an extravagant lifestyle but better than average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 10:15 PM

13 posts, read 17,025 times
It's really too early to speculate about the things you'll want in the future. I know a lot of people who entered college fully intending to do a certain thing but then discovered a passion for something else. It can be hard to make plans that are too tightly wound because deviating from that plan is going to cause a lot of anxiety, just keep an open mind and work hard. I know it's not my place to have you doubt the career path you've chosen, but it's just some food for thought. If you're absolutely 100% sure that everything is going to pan out then power to you! If you're already in medical school or doing your residency then completely ignore what I just said.

As for the income, as others have said before me, $237,000 will give you a comfortable existence but nothing extravagant. That's a pretty high income and it would provide for a very, very comfortable life elsewhere but if your heart is set on Manhattan then careful budgeting and financial responsibility can secure you a comfortable life.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:45 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycman9 View Post
more than good salary, that's some serious dough to live comfortably even on manhattan; not an extravagant lifestyle but better than average.
You can live fine on $237,000 alone in the city and also attract plenty of girls earning 50-80K who would love a partner

Old 07-14-2014, 09:53 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
I don't know how old you are but I think you are thinking a bit too far ahead. If you want a career in medicine, you should have a passion for it instead of just wanting a salary that would support a specific lifestyle. There are some doctors who think like this but they make for the worst doctors.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:08 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
I don't know if its' good for Manhattan or not but it certainly would be good for me!!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:26 PM

44 posts, read 72,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukerbacher23 View Post
Single, with no kids. Yes, the Greenwich Vilage, and those figures are for a psychiatrist who has already been through school and has a job. I know a student doesn't make that much money.

I don't think psychiatrist can make over 150k. sure someone did, but not for average. dont be too optimistic, bad economy and politics now

Old 07-22-2014, 04:38 AM

7 posts, read 14,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2albiQalbi View Post
It's really too early to speculate about the things you'll want in the future. I know a lot of people who entered college fully intending to do a certain thing but then discovered a passion for something else. It can be hard to make plans that are too tightly wound because deviating from that plan is going to cause a lot of anxiety, just keep an open mind and work hard. I know it's not my place to have you doubt the career path you've chosen, but it's just some food for thought. If you're absolutely 100% sure that everything is going to pan out then power to you! If you're already in medical school or doing your residency then completely ignore what I just said.

As for the income, as others have said before me, $237,000 will give you a comfortable existence but nothing extravagant. That's a pretty high income and it would provide for a very, very comfortable life elsewhere but if your heart is set on Manhattan then careful budgeting and financial responsibility can secure you a comfortable life.

Much of the money will be taxed, if the person doesn't have significant deductions.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:52 AM

120 posts, read 203,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by August2020 View Post
Much of the money will be taxed, if the person doesn't have significant deductions.
That salary will fall under the alternative minimum tax. Deductions will be few and far between.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 AM

102 posts, read 142,544 times
anything over 75k is fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: