Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:36 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times

Advertisements

Be aware that the main campus of Columbia is at 116 th on the # 1 while the medical school is two miles north at the 168th St stop. If you want to see the med school, which is in Washington Heights, you should take the opportunity to see the Hispanic museum which is indeed a hidden gem. But the area around the med school and hospital itself isn't much at all-- just a working class immigrant (Dominican) neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 09:44 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
You might enjoy this thread about aboveground trains in NYC. The problem is that if you decide to spend most of your day seeing NY from the aboveground trains, it will take you the majority of the day. Aboveground trains

Old 07-13-2014, 03:55 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I agree with that! With SEPTA, you can buy an Independence Pass for $12. For just $12, the purchaser is able to use all five modes (commuter rail, subway, buses, trolleys, and trolley buses) of SEPTA all across the Philadelphia area. Sometimes, I buy the pass and take routes that I have never explored before!

For me, I like history, strolling around, and seeing new sites. Seeing some of NYC's museums would be of great interest to me. I would also like to walk down 5th Avenue since I learned about the history of it last semester in college. Furthermore, I am a HUGE railfan! If there is anything in New York concerning rail history, then I would definitely like to go there! For strolling around, I might head to Central Park or even a walk down 7th Avenue. I might have a girl with me, so nice places to stroll around would be great for me! Finally, I just remembered that I have never been to Wall Street before. Since I will definitely go during the week, I will try to see Wall Street. I also want to walk around Columbia University's campus as I am interested in attending their medical school!

Thanks for your post! I will definitely look into your suggestions.
Even $12 for SEPTA seems like a lot. When we last had day passes, I think they were $7.50, and even that was overpriced. A good day-pass, in my opinion, should be 2 1/2 times the price of a bus fare.

It sounds to me as though you should definitely buy a couple of guidebooks, since you have some broad interests. I think your GF would also love the Cloisters. If you like museums, start with the obvious biggies like the Met, and then eventually work your way down to the smaller ones, like the Frick. I'm not that familiar with Columbia, but I once stumbled on what I guess is their big quadrangle, and it was one of the most stupendous glimpses of academia that I've ever seen.

I see someone mentioned the transit museum, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are some kind of walking tours of Grand Central. Also, this may sound silly, but there's some kind of train hobby shop on West 44th - you can hear the bell clanging as you walk by - and I wonder if they'd have suggestions for you (212-575-0155 ).

Hey, were you aware of this?

List of railway museums - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: