Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:16 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,034,840 times

Advertisements

I recommended this once before to someone else - you might enjoy reading "the hunt" articles in the NY Times. Take it with a grain of salt because the articles may be overly dramatic, but it's interesting to follow real people who have gone thru apartment searches. Make sure only to read ones that were published in the past year so you can get accurate prices. You will have to ignore the ones where people are buying; I'm not sure any way to search just for the people looking to rent.
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/classi...es&match=exact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 11:53 PM

706 posts, read 3,755,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodathunkit View Post
I am a 23 yr old and will be moving to NYC in about 6 months. I currently make about $55K a year. I would really appreciate any input as to the best place to live for the money. I am looking to spend less than $1300 a month in rent and would like to live in Manhattan. Any ideas on locations? It seems the upper east side might be ideal.

Also, I am trying to put together an accurate budget. I have listed the numbers I project now per month. If you have any suggestions for changes please let me know. Just as a side note - I don't drink so I don't need to plan for alcohol in the budget.

Thanks everyone!

Expenses....................................Per Month
Rent.............................................. $1300.00
Renters Insurance...........................need this?
Cable.........................................incl uded in rent?
Electricity...................................incl uded in rent?
Utilities.......................................in cluded in rent?
Transportation (Subway).....................$ 76.00
Grocery/Food....................................$500.00
Cell Phone..........................................$40 .00
Entertainment....................................$ 150.00
Other............................................. ...$ 50.00
TOTAL..........................................$2,116.00

Electric, cable will most likely be on you.

I assume your cable will be basic.

You may pay your own gas as well.

Cell phone - I think the lowest price (and the worst service) perhaps T-Mobile is higher than that with taxes and other fees.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:15 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,863,346 times
What about medical and dental expenses? They're not insignificant here. And if you do go to a hospital emergency room, you'll get a bill.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:00 PM

19 posts, read 66,511 times
Default Best bets

on $1300 a month, the only place in manhattan that costs that is Washington Heights, and Inwood which at the Northern Tip of Manhattan for a 1 bedroom. These areas are not exactly desirable, and they are predominantly consisting of immigrants from the Dominican Republic. Your best bet is Astoria, Queens which is only half hour from the city. Another good place if you're artsy is Williamsburg Brooklyn which is also half hour from the city. Cable is usually about $120 per month and it's not included. Most places gas & electric are not included unless it's in a private home. But if it's in a private home, most likely you'll be living in an illegal basement apartment with little head room, looking out the window at feet and shoes all day. Also susceptible to flooding.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,238,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodathunkit View Post
... Does anyone here live in manhattan under this type of financial budget? ...
As I have noted on other threads, my husband and I lived on that type of budget for a year. It was tight, but we were able to do it.

You can definitely find a studio for less than 2k in Manhattan. My husband and I live in huge one-bedroom in Washington Heights and pay less than $1400. The A train is literally on my corner. It takes me 17 minutes to meet my partner at Columbus Circle to go running in Central Park. Although, a single friend of mine hated being so far from nightlife when he lived up here. I would not recommend it if you plan on spending a lot of time at the bars of the Lower East Side or Williamsburg. You can not get there from here.

In order to make it on your budget, I would recommend cutting out cable. (All the good shows come out of DVD anyway.) You can also save a ton by taking your lunch to work every day. (I agree that $500 is a lot for food for one person - even counting cleaning supplies and other items, it still seems like a lot.)

For someone new to the city, I would recommend moving into a share until you get your bearings. Once you get a routine and start socializing, you can figure out where you would like to live. Also, the more people you meet, the better chance you'll have of landing one of those legendary NYC cheap apts.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:25 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,116,008 times
I've lived in Manhattan for 20+ years and I can honestly tell you that although it's possible to live there with a 55K salary you will have to make compromises because everything is more expensive. Assuming you can find a place in a decent area of Manhattan for the desired $1300 rent, you're spending nearly half your paycheck on rent alone. You won't be able to save much and you'll have to budget yourself cautiously.

If you're hearing stories about young folks who can afford to live on the kind of salary you mentioned, it's most likely because of several reasons. One of which my sister is taking advantage of:

1. live with your parents or relatives
2. share an apt. with roommates
3. live in a not-so-desirable small apt. far from a station
4. live in a rent-controlled apt.
5. inherited money or apt.

My advise is not to get fixated on living in Manhattan and look in other boroughs so you can take advantage of all the amenities that NYC has to offer w/o the ridiculous price tag.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-09-2008, 05:27 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,078,429 times
Sorry. I was hoping it would make finding info easier since everyday there are so many posters asking the same question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City