Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 12:16 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd add Lakeview, a chunk of west Freeport and the Belmont Park area of West Babylon to the first part of the post. I think there is an area of Westbury as well.

Some do move to other communities that are mostly White, but may have a long time and at least notable Black population like Rockville Centre, West Hempstead, Deer Park, etc. Some even go to places like the Roslyn or Great Neck areas too.
Lakeview's funny, some blocks of it can be kinda rough while some could be nice. I still think its a good value for Nassau but i'm personally not a huge fan of it. As for Rockville Centre, most of the black ppl in the village of Rockville Centre itself live in the public housing complex.

I know about the black part of Babylon that you're talking about. I really like that neighborhood and it's generally a good looking area. My cousin and her husband bought a home over there a couple years ago and they're overall satisfied. The only thing that would be hard to stomach over there is the fact that it's so close to Wyandanch.

You should see what they're doing in North Amityville too. There's a certain part of it where they just built a ton of spacious large-sized luxury homes. It reminds me of the new luxury subdivisions that you see in Maryland or other parts of the country. Very rare for Long Island and I like the fact that North Amityville is stepping up.

Don't know about Westbury or Freeport.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 07-19-2014 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 03:26 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Pretty much the same except:

1. More Hispanics: I definitely agree that the Hispanic presence will increase dramatically in this timeframe. I actually already see a lot more Hispanics in Jamaica, South Jamaica and Springfield Gardens. A sizable chunk of blacks are moving down south and somebody has to buy their homes. I'm actually surprised that SE Queens isn't already largely hispanic since MOST black neighborhoods in the NYC area have had massive gains in their hispanic populace within the last 20/yrs.

2. More Working Class: A lot of the new black middle class&upper middle class who do wish to stay in the NYC region are [have been] moving out to various parts of LI for better public schools, more amenities and even larger homes, that unfortunately SE Queens can't provide.

3. Jamaica Itself Will Improve&Gentrify: That's b/c this is pretty much the only convenient neighborhood of the area. Plus it has very cheap rents, diversity to make newcomers feel more welcome as well as a good commute to Manhattan&JFK job centers.

However, I DO NOT believe SE Queens will become a dumping ground for poor ppl pushed out of hip areas BECAUSE SE Queens has a high homeownership rate. Plus, there aren't a lot of rentals available in SE Queens and poor ppl wouldn't be attracted to the area since it's not that walkable and too car dependant. IF ANYONE needs to watch out for even more poor ppl moving it, it would be Newark/East Orange/Orange/Irvington, Paterson, Union City since these are affordable high-rental areas with good public transit close to NYC.

Also housing poor people in 2-3 family buildings is not cost efficient. Areas with large tenement/apartment buildings will fit that (Rochdale being a distinct destination) will be more suitable. Most of SE Queens doesn't fit the bill.

SE Queens will consist less of the doctors and accountants, and more of the MTA workers and nurses. People who need to be in the city, and who are probably happy with the network of Catholic and other private schools in the area.

There will be more renters, but it will be of the lower middle/upper working class types who are priced out of other areas, but who don't want to live in a ghetto. They will put up with the long commute as indeed people living here have always done.

One potentially transformative factor might be Long Island "empty nesters" fleeing that area's high property taxes, and no longer having school age kids, will not care about the less than stellar schools.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:28 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,537,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I was referring just to Richmond Hill, excluding South Richmond Hill, which is pretty much all South Asian or Indo-Caribbean at this point. But around Jamaica ave in Richmond Hill I imagine is still mostly Hispanic, but could be wrong.

Many Indo Caribbean people are also moving into SE Queens. They will be part of the pool of buyers as the more long term black residents leave.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:52 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
I believe those areas mentioned by the OP are prone to flooding?

Old 07-19-2014, 07:09 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I believe those areas mentioned by the OP are prone to flooding?
Maybe closer to the bay and airport, but Cambria Heights and St Albans?

Old 07-19-2014, 08:05 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
They will put up with the long commute as indeed people living here have always done.
A good percentage of residents in SE Queens work in Long Island as well as food shop, obtain medical services, etc...in LI minus the high tax burden.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:46 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Also housing poor people in 2-3 family buildings is not cost efficient. Areas with large tenement/apartment buildings will fit that (Rochdale being a distinct destination) will be more suitable. Most of SE Queens doesn't fit the bill.

SE Queens will consist less of the doctors and accountants, and more of the MTA workers and nurses. People who need to be in the city, and who are probably happy with the network of Catholic and other private schools in the area.

There will be more renters, but it will be of the lower middle/upper working class types who are priced out of other areas, but who don't want to live in a ghetto. They will put up with the long commute as indeed people living here have always done.

One potentially transformative factor might be Long Island "empty nesters" fleeing that area's high property taxes, and no longer having school age kids, will not care about the less than stellar schools.
It's never been the higher professional class of doctors and lawyers, etc.
Lots of teachers, nurses, transit workers, cops, firemen, and the like. Good paying, secure civil service jobs back in the day.

One change I have noticed are more female headed families.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:10 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,160 times
More Hispanics and Asians would be one thing I'd think will happen. I'd also be careful about assuming a neighborhood's housing stock will somehow bring immunity from becoming hood. The NE Bronx has a very similar built enviorment to SE Queens and it's going downhill fast (formerly middle class Black area turning into welfare dumping ground), Ditto East Flatbush and even some parts of Newark, NJ. There are plenty of ghettos consisting of single family homes (Detroit actually, is majority SFH as are some of the worst parts of Chicago and LA).

Having said that, there's simply too much immigration into Queens to really see such a thing happen. Some fresh-off-the-boat group will buy up those homes since Queens is considered "safe" from a crime prespective as opposed to the Bronx which is known even overseas as scary...

Old 07-21-2014, 07:42 AM

So do you all think purchasing a home for investment purposes would be beneficial? There are still a number of foreclosure deals out there. These neighborhoods were hit hard by predatory lenders.

I would focus on Laurelton, near the LIRR station, to give me a quick transportation alternative to the bus/subway.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
More Hispanics and Asians would be one thing I'd think will happen. I'd also be careful about assuming a neighborhood's housing stock will somehow bring immunity from becoming hood. The NE Bronx has a very similar built enviorment to SE Queens and it's going downhill fast (formerly middle class Black area turning into welfare dumping ground), Ditto East Flatbush and even some parts of Newark, NJ. There are plenty of ghettos consisting of single family homes (Detroit actually, is majority SFH as are some of the worst parts of Chicago and LA).

Having said that, there's simply too much immigration into Queens to really see such a thing happen. Some fresh-off-the-boat group will buy up those homes since Queens is considered "safe" from a crime prespective as opposed to the Bronx which is known even overseas as scary...
Do you have any sources that discuss thee changes in NE Bronx and E. Flatbush. I've always suspected that poor people are going there but I've never seen it in print.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City