Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 03:11 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times

Advertisements

(Specifically Cambria Heights, Laurelton, Rosedale, Springfield Gardens and St. Albans) http://www.city-data.com/zips/11413.html

Members of my family owned homes in these neighborhoods (except Rosedale, which was still segregated) from the 1950s - present. What was once a destination for ambitious black American and some West Indian families is no longer. Since the crack epidemic of the 80s, many families abandoned their comfortable neighborhoods for the suburbs, Georgia, North Carolina, and Florida.

Current residents may be new homeowners with traditional families (husband, wife, kids), non-traditional arrangements, such as children living in parents' houses with or without spouse/ children. There are non-familial rental situations as well since people may be buying foreclosures and speculating where the neighborhood will go while collecting rent.
In thinking about what SE Queens will look like in 10 years, I look at certain indicators that make me concerned.

1) These neighborhoods are the antithesis of growth happening in Central and Western Queens, and Brooklyn.

2) School registers are low and underutilized, leading to closures and co-locations at all grade levels. School ratings are not strong at all.

3) There seem to be few outlets for teenagers and young adults which could lead to an increase in crime. As a matter of fact, there have been a number of backyard BBQ shootouts for the past few summers.

3) Nothing is being done to improve transportation and it is at least a 30 minute bus ride from these neighborhoods to the subway in Jamaica, and another 45 minute or more ride to any destination in Manhattan.

4) No large companies are setting up shop in these neighborhoods -- not even chain restaurants, which surprises me. I think something like Dallas BBQ or Red Lobster or Applebees would be a slam dunk.

Now, if more Manhattan-based employers set up in Jamaica Center, I think these neighborhoods could attract families again with the promise of shorter commutes.

Hispanic families looking for more space are beginning to move into these areas.

I'm hoping things will improve in SE Queens. My experiences growing up there were very positive.

But what concerns me is that SE Queens may become a dumping group for people displaced from neighborhoods in Eastern Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan that are too expensive. In Chicago, the city gave people Section 8 vouchers to rent houses in the far south suburbs. What were once nice, middle class black neighborhoods have become some of the worst areas in the city.

What do you think SE Queens will look like in 10 years?

Last edited by queensgrl; 07-16-2014 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 04:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Welcome Back!

Old 07-16-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Welcome Back!
Thanks! I'm living in NY & Florida these days. Not a lot of time to write.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:59 PM

AFTERTHOUGHT: People displaced from Manhattan and Brooklyn will likely move to Far Rockaway, also, which shares a Congressional district with this part of SE Queens.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:48 PM

someone please comment :-)

Old 07-16-2014, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,807 times
I dont see much change happening there..it seems young black couples are skipping SE Queens and going into valley stream and other areas of Nassau.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:37 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
But what concerns me is that SE Queens may become a dumping group for people displaced from neighborhoods in Eastern Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan that are too expensive. In Chicago, the city gave people Section 8 vouchers to rent houses in the far south suburbs. What were once nice, middle class black neighborhoods have become some of the worst areas in the city.
I doubt that will happen.....those neighborhoods have high homeownership rate.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-16-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I doubt that will happen.....those neighborhoods have high homeownership rate.
It's shifting more to renters than it was in the past. Owners have moved away and are renting to family members, and owners are aging and moving out, and the families rent the houses to strangers.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrocklawyer View Post
I dont see much change happening there..it seems young black couples are skipping SE Queens and going into valley stream and other areas of Nassau.
So you think they will continue to go into Nassau? How come?

Old 07-16-2014, 08:51 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Pretty much the same except:

1. More Hispanics: I definitely agree that the Hispanic presence will increase dramatically in this timeframe. I actually already see a lot more Hispanics in Jamaica, South Jamaica and Springfield Gardens. A sizable chunk of blacks are moving down south and somebody has to buy their homes. I'm actually surprised that SE Queens isn't already largely hispanic since MOST black neighborhoods in the NYC area have had massive gains in their hispanic populace within the last 20/yrs.

2. More Working Class: A lot of the new black middle class&upper middle class who do wish to stay in the NYC region are [have been] moving out to various parts of LI for better public schools, more amenities and even larger homes, that unfortunately SE Queens can't provide.

3. Jamaica Itself Will Improve&Gentrify: That's b/c this is pretty much the only convenient neighborhood of the area. Plus it has very cheap rents, diversity to make newcomers feel more welcome as well as a good commute to Manhattan&JFK job centers.

However, I DO NOT believe SE Queens will become a dumping ground for poor ppl pushed out of hip areas BECAUSE SE Queens has a high homeownership rate. Plus, there aren't a lot of rentals available in SE Queens and poor ppl wouldn't be attracted to the area since it's not that walkable and too car dependant. IF ANYONE needs to watch out for even more poor ppl moving it, it would be Newark/East Orange/Orange/Irvington, Paterson, Union City since these are affordable high-rental areas with good public transit close to NYC.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 07-16-2014 at 09:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City