Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 12:26 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I am based here now because I had deep familial roots and employment over the course of several years. Now, I'm not so excited about living here anymore. Family is gone and I can base my work from anywhere. For the past 4 months I was living in Florida but it's not for me. Still searching.

Why do you live here?

I guess NYC is an ideal place for pan handlers because of the human density which makes it possible to walk around to hit enough givers without the need of a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 01:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I really like greenpoint. I wanted to live more in greenpoint propper but I found the commute using the G train to be annoying.

I am excited to explore my new area. I have a bunch of places written down to try off of various train stops.
You've been here all this time and never actually hung out in Williamsburg?

Old 07-17-2014, 02:04 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
You've been here all this time and never actually hung out in Williamsburg?
I've hung out in williamsburg, but I've always lived in Manhattan. So if I wanted to do something quick or run out for soemthing it was always in manhattan. I am looking forward to having my base be in brooklyn as apposed to traveling there.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:18 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheem_nyc View Post
Clearly she been watching a lot of Hollywood movies/sitcom that was New York City based and assume the life style is similar to real life. my assumptions always come to that, when people from the Midwest think about moving to NYC. I know these group of hipsters from the Midwest, who chose to move to Bedstuy Brooklyn because they wanted to get a dose of rap culture.
Lol @ "a dose of rap culture"...my mind immeadeatly went to the time when I caught the clap.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post

On a side note, my friend, also from Ohio, moved here because of industry specific work. She works in TV.
Many people move here for that reason and many more stay for the same reason - could not get work in other places. Quite literally.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:08 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
I've hung out in williamsburg, but I've always lived in Manhattan. So if I wanted to do something quick or run out for soemthing it was always in manhattan. I am looking forward to having my base be in brooklyn as apposed to traveling there.
It's cool. The area around the Morgan L is worth a look too. The area around Jefferson L is also fun...possibly even better, but that's technically Bushwick once you cross Flushing Ave.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:23 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Why do you live here?
1) Family. I love them and they provide much support.

2) Employment. Sure, I could find a job anywhere else in the country, but in most other cities there is much less competition within the same industries. So you are more likely to be tied to a single employee than you would be in NYC.

3) I like the big city interactions, at both microeconomic and sociological viewpoints.

4) Daily amenities. I have all I need within a few block radius.

5) Transportation. I hate highways and I like the fact that I can travel pretty much anywhere that I need to go by either car, train/bus, bike or even walk.

7) Eating various foods, visiting multiple parks/gardens/zoos, and other recreational activities. Do you really know of another city that offers more?

6) I have no complaints with where and how I live. I actually find it to fit my families needs and wants perfectly. Have not been anywhere else in this country that would be able to provide my family with a better life than what we have here.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:15 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Just put in an application on a great apartment in Williamsburg. So excited to be a brooklyn resident!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2po...layer_embedded

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
so many better places to live in Brooklyn than "over priced" "under spaced" apartments in Williamsburg...................................... ..

where abouts?
I agree with this. But then again cheaper and better parts of Brooklyn might not appeal to the Op's taste.

Quote:
north side, so williamsburg/greenpoint boarder. Getting a pretty good deal too.

Give us the details?

Quote:
what are you coming here to do? i always wonder what the attraction is. i can't make sense of it since having grown up here, leaving here was the goal of many people. now everyone wants to come. it's overpriced, jobs are not plentiful. all i can imagine is coming here for a couple of years -- sort of a post-college experiment -- where you live with friends and have fun before settling down into (for lack of a better word) "real" life. Or, is real life for you and your peer endless experimentation with work and enjoyment? how do you afford it?
She already lives in NYC already and works here too, I guess that Williamsburg probably appeals to her taste regardless of what it costs. Overall I do agree with you and your post is very valid. Just the other day a family friend who is also a young adult college educated, career job and so forth told me she is moving to Sunset Park Brooklyn. I asked her why would you want to leave Parkchester for Sunset Park Brooklyn, she could not give me an exact reason, but just that Brooklyn seemed cool and Parkchester did not fit her needs and how Parkchester is bit more family oriented. I think Brooklyn is good for people who are young, with a basic college education, single and childless, and career or job focused regardless if your from NYC, out of State or from overseas. At the end of the day, she wanted to be with people like herself, young, single college educated, career focused and so forth, which can give her more options in networking jobs, as well as dating. Me personally I would never move to Brooklyn, I'm only 30 minutes away by car and subway on a good day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Wait. Is this a serious question? Why people come to a city that is world renowned, has exiting night life, great restaurants, great cultural institutions and is a hub for several high paying or glamorous industries... Yeah I cant imagine why people would move here

On a side note, my friend, also from Ohio, moved here because of industry specific work. She works in TV.
Ohio has nothing going for itself since the Drew Carrie show came off and when Lebron James left Cleveland for Miami. Ohio is one of those states where it does not have much industry thanks to decline of industrlization and conversion of family farms itno corporate farms. Also the decline of industrial sector lead to the decline of professional sector jobs which feeds off of industrial sector. I know three people from Ohio and known New Yorkers who visited Ohio and its not a great state economic wise and career rise. For those who are young in Ohio and looking for a future or oppurtunities their really isn't much there. Maybe things can change now for Ohio since Lebron James is back in Cleveland. I'm sure Lebron James will get a standing ovation and cheers while playing at the Brooklyn's Barclays Center!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
1) Family. I love them and they provide much support.

2) Employment. Sure, I could find a job anywhere else in the country, but in most other cities there is much less competition within the same industries. So you are more likely to be tied to a single employee than you would be in NYC.

3) I like the big city interactions, at both microeconomic and sociological viewpoints.

4) Daily amenities. I have all I need within a few block radius.

5) Transportation. I hate highways and I like the fact that I can travel pretty much anywhere that I need to go by either car, train/bus, bike or even walk.

7) Eating various foods, visiting multiple parks/gardens/zoos, and other recreational activities. Do you really know of another city that offers more?

6) I have no complaints with where and how I live. I actually find it to fit my families needs and wants perfectly. Have not been anywhere else in this country that would be able to provide my family with a better life than what we have here.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-18-2014 at 03:28 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 04:40 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
It is amazing that when someone is happy that the first reaction is to question it. I personally am impressed by Williamsburg. No other outerboro nabe has been able to develop and grow the way that it has.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It is amazing that when someone is happy that the first reaction is to question it. I personally am impressed by Williamsburg. No other outerboro nabe has been able to develop and grow the way that it has.
To me Williamsburg is nothing more than a new version of the East Village, well what it used to be a generation ago. I gotta say Williamsburg is pretty cool! Great to visit, but cant afford to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City