Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 01:09 PM

25 posts, read 47,466 times

Advertisements

I have a couple questions from people that live in New York City or has done modeling. My daughter is wanting to go to New York in August for open casting calls , I don't know anything about new York or modeling and I've been trying to do my homework but not sure whats real and whats fake.
My daughter is 18 years old and is 5'8 and weighs 93 pounds (which is not by choice ) she eats more than a 300 pound man so please don't mention anything negative. If anyone can help me as where would be the best hotel to stay that's not alot of money and what modeling agencies to go to for open casting call that would be awesome. . We are doing a benefit car wash to raise money for my daughter to go . Cause all I want to do is make her dream come true . If she doesn't make it to be a model that's ok too. She is in college full time so she will always be on the right track
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 01:18 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,939 times
I work in fashion and I have to say 5'8" is a little short for runway/high fashion. Most of those girls are in the 5'9"-6" range, unless she had a really compelling/unique face. Not a pretty face, a unique face.

Most modeling agencies let you submit images online and if they like you they will call you.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:28 PM

25 posts, read 47,466 times
Thank you for your response back . Can you name some companies I can send her pictures too.

I have been reading they like 5'9 But I figured its worth a try . If I could post a picture of her I would but I don't know how lol

Old 07-17-2014, 04:17 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Assuming you are speaking of legitimate top agencies, just Google "new york modeling agencies open calls" and you will find information from all the main ones in NYC (Ford, Next, Elite, etc...)

Agree with previous post that anything below 5'9" is too short for most forms of major modeling. As for looks they are in the eye of the beholder. There are girls and men modeling today for major money that do not fit the historical idea of beauty.

Under *NO* circumstances should you sign up with or even bother with anyone claiming to be modeling agency that wants funds for "photos" and so forth. If a legitimate agency believes there is *something* to a person they will arrange for photos on their own dime.

Needless to say hundreds if not thousands of young men and women come to NYC in hopes of being a "model". Most get now where near but also frequently fall victim to all sorts of exploitation and abuse from financial to sexual.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:58 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
I agree. 5'8 is too short. Also, my concern is that if money is already tight, I would just guide her to follow her dreams near home...maybe local fashions shows or catalog? Idk.

Hotels in NYC are very expensive & casting calls = rejection one after the other.
Sorry to rain on your parade....I would hate to see you out all that money especially where you are holding a fundraiser just to come.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:45 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,914 times

Old 07-21-2014, 05:49 PM

298 posts, read 706,856 times
Give Terry Richardson a call!

Is Terry Richardson an Artist or a Predator? - The Cut

He loves helping young girls get started in modeling.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:04 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,747,285 times
Hmmm, that couch looks vaguely familiar.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:04 AM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
1. Ford, Wilhelmina, and Elite are the three that come to mind.

2. If you don't readily have money to come to NYC, I'd call them and see if maybe they can give you a preliminary opinion based on photographs.

3. Sorry to ask, but are you sure she's all right at that weight? That's so low that it would scare me, whether it's deliberate or not.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:32 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,265,553 times
Ford Models Application Form
Ford Models

It's been many moons since I was in that world. Try the above link for Ford which you can do from home. They also give some cursory advice regarding some of the pitfalls you may find of people trying to take advantage, and there are many. There are other locations such as Chicago, Miami, and Toronto which may be less stressful. Are you able to come with her when she comes?
I stayed in a women's hotel on E 60th street called the Barbizon when I first moved there which is where a lot of girls lived. It's condos now I believe. Here is a link to several places in a good area in Manhattan with reviews and prices.

Google
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: