Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:53 AM

493 posts, read 512,038 times

Advertisements

They can not evict you but you should let him know that you wont be able to make this months payment. Also pay them what you have by mail and stop paying your rent automatically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 12:27 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
He screams loudly: DO YOU HAVE A CREDIT CARD?

Old 07-21-2014, 01:38 PM

138 posts, read 208,104 times
Just give your landlord a call, explain the situation, and see what s/he says. It's better to let your landlord know as far in advance if there's an issue. Chances are, if you've paid your rent on time in the past, they'll be understanding this one time. But I agree with everyone else here, that you should exhaust ALL other avenues before you make a late rent payment.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:42 PM

424 posts, read 974,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by versicle View Post
Just give your landlord a call, explain the situation, and see what s/he says. It's better to let your landlord know as far in advance if there's an issue. Chances are, if you've paid your rent on time in the past, they'll be understanding this one time. But I agree with everyone else here, that you should exhaust ALL other avenues before you make a late rent payment.
Agree, let your landlord know ahead of time while you still have a week or so before Aug 1st that you're going to be late. I know landlords like to have the funds clearing by the 1st day of the month so it's actually in their bank account. That way you know ahead of time what they think of being late with rent plus it's the right thing to do instead of keeping them in the dark about your situation.

When I found myself in a similar situation wringing my hands and biting my nails when I was going through a tough time (thankfully only 2 times with different landlords) they were both very understanding due to the economy and whatnot. They both basically let me do a partial payment and would wait for the rest with the tone of as "long as I get the rent" Though, maybe I was just lucky since I always rent directly from the landlord or building owner; I don't deal with property management companies or brokers.

It's obvious but you should never write a check if you're not sure the funds will be there in your bank account if you're waiting on an electronic transfer; if your check bounces you're looking at potential charges/ fines/ penalties from your bank, your landlord may get in trouble too with their bank and other not fun legal consequences can happen.

In short: tell them this week (the earlier the better) or borrow the money you need from someone, use your credit card if you feel uncomfortable telling them about your financial situation.

Last edited by ehanson; 07-21-2014 at 03:39 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 03:17 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
i was in that situation a long time ago i always took out a money order when my funds were tight.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:16 PM

298 posts, read 707,110 times
A lot of scaremongering here. I know a couple people that live in a big doorman building downtown... They are regularly weeks late with the rent. But guess what - they got a renewal offer.

They're not poor though, just irresponsible.

Get creative: one time I had an ex-girlfriend contact me out of the blue and offer to sleep with me if I helped her make rent.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:45 PM

28 posts, read 33,776 times
haha..that last one is funny!

For everyone who was writing about checks. I would never write a check and then bounce it, but since this landlord only accepts electronic checks (monthly withdrawal), it's not like I can delay the check in the mail. I guess best bet is to let them know in advance.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:24 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Close the account. Tell them you have problem with the bank and will be sending them manual check for the next payment. USPS is notorious for losing mail btw. So in case the first one get "lost", you can send them the 2nd one 30 days later.

Keep in mind check is in the mail only work once or twice. After that, there is no credibility left.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 AM

102 posts, read 142,602 times
it should be alright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: