Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,009 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've been looking into some of the brownstones and town houses in the area and I was wondering if any one has had experience in the area. I've heard lots of mixed reviews of the area. Some good, some not so good.

I'm white, male, late 20's and work in midtown.

I'm primarily concerned about the safety of the area. If I go out on weekends I'll be using primarily the 1 train at 145th and possibly the B-D line in the area as well. I went out to visit the area during the day on a weekend and I spent sometime walking around and visiting a few of the "bars around midnight.

I didn't find it particularly endearing. Lots of people going about their business, but seemed like there were some shady deals going on and I got a few looks. At night, I spotted a few groups of guys sitting out on the corners, but otherwise, it was alright. I did feel the need to exercise a bit more caution than normal though.

I've lived between park slope and sunset park for a bit and I found that area ok. If anyone else could shed some light on this part of manhattan, I'd appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 01:43 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Seedy, there are shootings, a lot of new restaurants opened and some are good. More will come is my guess.

B/D area not nearly as good.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:56 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
A friend of an in-law likes it. He's got a 1 bedroom for less than $1K and has been there nearly 10 years.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:27 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,713 times
Its not for everyone. Ive put people up there who like the size and price of their apts BUT dont hang out in the area at all. If you're ok with that then go for it. Be a bit cautious as it is still a bit rough and since you would stick out a bit more might get more glances than normal.

Some people must have everything outside their door step or their life will be in chaos, if you're one of those then i suggest dont go there.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:40 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Do a search and read other threads on Hamilton Heights you will see everything you need to know good and bad.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:58 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpnyoyo View Post
Hi all, I've been looking into some of the brownstones and town houses in the area and I was wondering if any one has had experience in the area. I've heard lots of mixed reviews of the area. Some good, some not so good.

I'm white, male, late 20's and work in midtown.

I'm primarily concerned about the safety of the area. If I go out on weekends I'll be using primarily the 1 train at 145th and possibly the B-D line in the area as well. I went out to visit the area during the day on a weekend and I spent sometime walking around and visiting a few of the "bars around midnight.

I didn't find it particularly endearing. Lots of people going about their business, but seemed like there were some shady deals going on and I got a few looks. At night, I spotted a few groups of guys sitting out on the corners, but otherwise, it was alright. I did feel the need to exercise a bit more caution than normal though.

I've lived between park slope and sunset park for a bit and I found that area ok. If anyone else could shed some light on this part of manhattan, I'd appreciate.
Hi there.

I moved to Hamilton Heights just east of where you speak about 11 years ago. I'm a white male around your age.

In the 80's and early 90's we wouldn't be caught dead around here (we would probably be dead, LOL). Even when I moved here, I'd get funny looks or people saying things to me like "Welcome to the neighborhood", etc. There were literally 10 barbershops on every block, LOL.

But these days, especially over the past 2 years, the area has changed big time. Lots of bars and good places to eat have opened. We have a new sushi spot on Broadway and 142nd, we have the Grange Bar and Eatery on 141st and Amsterdam, and Harlem Public over near 150th and Broadway. Manhattanville Coffee over on Edgecomb and 141st, the list goes on and more are opening every month. Noone looks at me funny any more as there are plenty of "white people". Many of the blacks I know that have been here forever and either own or are rent controlled love it. They are waiting to sell or get a buy out offer and make bank. Or just stick around for the positive changes.

Are you looking to buy or rent? If buy, you should do it! I'm in the middle of buying my place via a co-op conversion. The estimated value of my apartment has already gone up 30% over the price I'm paying. Hamilton Heights property values went up more than any other micro neighborhood in the city last year. The architecture is beautiful and we are well outside the flood zones. Might not be good for our property taxes, but it is darn good for resale.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: