Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:46 AM

114 posts, read 276,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I have a lot of rich indian friends who live in expensive apartments. Do they not count as a minority?
I do not see a lot of Indians throughout the nice areas of Manhattan. Occasionally, I'll see a few, at most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 07:47 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,819,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheseca View Post
I do not see a lot of Asians or Middle Eastern people in the wealthy areas of Manhattan. I mostly see white people.
I went to see an apartment in union square at a huge condo building (someone was renting it out) and almost everyone in the lobby was japanese. The unit I looked at was owned by a Japanese business man who owned 12 other units in the building and rented them out for money. He lives in Japan.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:47 AM

8,654 posts, read 11,030,529 times
Cheseca do seem bitter..... that is life.

Personally I've met a garden variety of people who live in luxury or ultra luxury places in manhattan. NYC do attract some of the brightest & successful people in the world.

-yes. trust fund young adults do exist.
-young technology, media, fashion millionaires do exist in nyc. I personally met a few internet millionaires in NY... they dress like any normal person in nyc except they do have really nice homes.
-some people have baby faces....For example, I know this girl in her late 30s who can pass up as early 20s banking close to 7 figures for a major investment firm. Quite a handful are partners in well known firms who look quite young....I even once joked if he/she started working at 10 after it was mention that person worked with the firm for 20 yrs. lol.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:49 AM

993 posts, read 1,380,572 times
Quote:
I am in serious need of new friends who want more out of life.
There ya go. Now ask yourself whether this city provides enough mobility that you can work on this piece without a matching address.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:54 AM

48 posts, read 92,286 times
If her parents won't help Cheseca she's pretty much doomed to a sub-standard level of living on NYC where she'll be banished into a zombie walking neighborhood where all she'll be able to subsist on are quarter waters and zebra cakes at the local bodega.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I do not have any friends who are interested in living in the good areas of Manhattan. Most of them are content with residing in a working class, unsafe neighborhood. I am in serious need of new friends who want more out of life.
you do sound bitter. Perhaps these new friends don't want to be friends with you. At the end of the day when you look in the mirror, you will still be you.....not the size of your bank account or the prestigious address.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,612,196 times
I've met all the types discussed above...bankers making $100k+ out of college, trust funders, kids living three to a "converted" 1 bedroom apartment (which I can't imagine is worth it). Why worry about what other people are doing, though? With $35k, look for a $700-$800 room in a good neighborhood in Brooklyn, Queens or upper Manhattan. Some people here will tell you it can't be done, but it can, with some effort.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:10 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,071,619 times
Quote:
How can so many young whites afford to pay such high rents in Manhattan? I'm a recent college grad and I'd love to reside in an area with plenty of nice amenities and restaurants, preferably around the Columbus circle area, but I rarely see any blacks renting in such nice areas of NYC.

I have thought about this issue and I've arrived at the following assumptions:

1. A relative is financing their apartment
2. They are rooming with multiple people, or
3. They inherited trust fund money

I make 35K a year and I'd love to find good roommates, but a number of my friends are from working class backgrounds and have no interest in residing in the areas that I'd like to live in. As a young woman, I am interested in living in a better area for a number of reasons. I'm 23 and I believe it would be easier to meet the right type of guy in the better areas of Manhattan as opposed to the Bronx. My lease will be up in another month and I know that I need to make a major change. I'm so sick of the crime, and overall gloomy environment of my current living situation. My apartment is nice, but it's in an economically depressed neighborhood with plenty of shady characters and blue collar, low income and uneducated guys.

Any advice?
If this weren't a race-baiting troll thread, then you'd take the word "white" out altogether. What difference does it make to you if the person living the good life in Manhattan is white or some other color? The fact is other people are still living the life you apparently want to live, and if this were not a troll thread, you should be wondering why young PEOPLE (of any color) can afford to live in a nice area.

Perhaps you should spend more time figuring out how to increase your income instead of dreaming up ways to race bait.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If this weren't a race-baiting troll thread, then you'd take the word "white" out altogether. What difference does it make to you if the person living the good life in Manhattan is white or some other color? The fact is other people are still living the life you apparently want to live, and if this were not a troll thread, you should be wondering why young PEOPLE (of any color) can afford to live in a nice area.

Perhaps you should spend more time figuring out how to increase your income instead of dreaming up ways to race bait.
good point. I don't get why some people are seem obsessed with white people at some areas....or other threads saying why Asians are all in specialize high school. Yes, there are some demographic trends but there is a fine line about this bitterness signal towards a group.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:22 AM

114 posts, read 276,188 times
[quote=HyperVigilent;35756507]Public health/environmental studies is a notoriously low paying field, starting out and long-term on target earnings (with a few exceptions), so I don't know what you were expecting starting out.

I chose my major based on my overall interests and passion. Although I do not make a lot of money at this time, I am happy with my decision to major in public health/environmental studies. I can't imagine spending a significant amount of time studying an area that I have little to no interest in, but I wouldn't have any issue with the guy in my life working in investment banking. After all, sometimes, opposites attract.

As far as my personal experience goes, most newly graduated professional people I've known with the exception of maybe two people did it on their own. Two had their parents pay for everything until they got a higher paying job and settled in and the others payed their own way. The ones who payed their own way all started with roommates, but of course they did get a little 'help' from their parents, their parents co-signed on their leases, but this doesn't mean their parents are 'rich'. Not sure if you're parents are willing to do this but this might hold you back big-time.

Unfortunately, my family cannot assist me. My credit score is far better than theirs!

I will ensure that my future children are blessed with a great dad/father who can afford to support them in every way possible. I do not want my future children to grapple with the issues that I've personally experienced.

On a side note, why would you want to live around people that aren't like you anyway; young professionals WITH 'wealthy' parents? Why would that make you happy? What do you have in common besides graduating from college? As far as building your network, in 'public health/environmental studies' find a community that caters to that instead of looking for a 'cool nabe' in Manhattan.

What exactly do I have in common with poor/unemployed persons from the Bronx?

I want to live in a good neighborhood, with plenty of amenities. I realize that it won't be easy, but I firmly believe that you ultimately get whatever you strive for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City