Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:55 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,439,885 times

Advertisements

Based on your description, you should take a hard look at Bushwick. Bushwick has its cons for sure, but it has a lot going for it. Take a trip, if you can, over to the Jefferson St or Dekalb Ave L train stops in Bushwick. Within the past couple of years, there's been a huge wave of artsy, college, and creative type people moving out there. You can find a 2 bedroom--I'm told by my rental department--out there (non railroad-style) for $1500 per month. You have to look for the best bargain of course. Now, your commute to Brooklyn College from there may be a bit difficult, since you'd most likely have to take the L to the G train, or maybe you could take the M train at Myrtle/Wycoff a few blocks away? Not 100% sure of which trains intersect Brooklyn College the most efficiently.
Anyway, some of the cons of Bushwick is that it still is a neighborhood in transition--meaning there are some streets with lots of criminal activity potential--while other streets are super safe. You just have to use common sense--as in all of NYC.
There's some cool underground clubs, bars, and such all over Bushwick--it's becoming a very "it" neighborhood. Who would have thought??
Let me tell you--10 years ago, Bushwick was nothing but a rat-infested, drug-ridden, forgotten "ghetto" of a neighborhood. People from the neighborhood who had left in the '80s and '90s and go back today--are STUNNED at the progress. It's wacky. Check out this website: http://www.upfromflames.com . It will give you some Bushwick history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 11,937 times
Have you thought of Greenpoint? It's right next to Williamsburg. I heard it's more artsy.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
the mta has a trip planner feature which will calculate your train time on for you. I am not sure it calculates waiting for a train; you'll have to check.

I think this would be really helpful for you to look at - or at least take a look at the subway map on mta.info to figure out the train lines -which are VERY important when deciphering where to live.

i honestly think Bushwick to Bklyn college every day would be hellish.

it's possible that greenpoint would be ok if you could take the G through brooklyn to the line that goes to your school - but the G is notorious for slow and spotty service.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:29 PM

191 posts, read 900,832 times
the only trains around BC are the 2/5 which are across the street and the Q train (avenue H station) which is a 10-15 minute walk depending on how slow or fast you are and which entrance you use..
Lots of people of all colors take the Q train, as i live on ave H and see them every morning and night. The walk is no biggie in winter, but it can be a lil daunting for the non brown/blacks on a warm evening. Normally theres just loud kids acting the fool on every corner, but it doesnt take much for a loud pack of kids to turn into something else. Most of the kids are lil wanna be's that are harmless, but sometimes they act up. Theres always a cop at the station from 4pm till about 10pm
For the most part tho the rents are pretty decent, the area isnt too bad, theres no clubs or "hipness" in the area to speak of, but you CAN get to almost anywhere in nyc in hour or less.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:47 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
Out of curiosity, where are you moving from & how did you wind up with BC? I went there in the mid 80's and it is a very good scholl, particularly for a city school. Most of the areas you mentioned are decent but let me throw out the area around Eastern Pkwy east of Grand Army Plaza. Close to the #2 line and centralized to Manhattan, Downtown Bklyn & not far from Williamsburg. But please remember, like any of these locations mentioned, you have to keep your wits about you. And if travelling late at night (and after a few cocktails) splurge for a taxi, it will be worth it not to take the risk.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:44 PM

7 posts, read 60,170 times
I'm from Kansas City, Missouri. I was going to the University of Arizona for film, but realized that after visiting friends in NY and it being the #1 place for independent film that I should really study there. I looked at NYU, SVA, Pratt, but I really like CUNY Brooklyn's film faculty and think their film school is going to be one of the better ones in the nation soon.

Anyway! What else can you tell me about Eastern Pkwy east of Grand Army Plaza?

Old 12-21-2007, 07:04 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
eastern parkway east of grand army plaza is called prospect heights. the neighborhood is out of your price range. there are cheaper areas of prospect heights, but they have more crime and are very isolated so its not a good place to walk at night. i'm specifically talking about the area of prospect heights centered on classon avenue north of st. john's place. your best bet may be along washington avenue south of eastern parkway, but that area has more crime as well. take a walk around there and talk to the supers in the building to see if any apartments are available. thats the only way you'll get something cheap because even on washington avenue they're raising rents.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:40 PM

Can anyone give me more information on Caroll gardens/Boerum Hill? The Bergen St. subway being a straight shot to Brooklyn College seems pretty awesome, i'd like to hear more about the area. Thanks!

Old 12-25-2007, 02:15 PM

bump! anybody have more info?

Old 12-26-2007, 12:50 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
who told u that bergen street (F & G train, boerum hill) is a straight shot to brooklyn college? dont waste people's time on here....get your stuff together and have a concise idea of what u want to do.

bergen street (2 and 3 train) is once again out of your price range thats park slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: