Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:35 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
The World is heartless, not just me. I did not create homelessness, so lets not get ahead of yourself.

The rest of your rant has nothing to do with what I said earlier. So back off with that nonsense as well.

People save all their pennies to buy a home. They will fight against a homeless center opening up in their nabe. Especially one that does not share plans with the community ahead of time, a community that they are supposedly going to benefit and support. I've lived across the street from an outpatient house in the past. Not necessarily the residents, but their visitors could get nasty. On one instance a cop shot a resident for waiving a knife at them.
It has everything to do with what you said, many of those people in Elmhurst need social services as well. Regardless of whether some people saved all their pennies to buy a home, Elmhurst isn't and never will be an exclusive neighborhood!

The city could have worked with the neighborhood in advance, but whatever, it's there now and yes, it needs to be there as Western Queens needs more services like this for the destitute population it has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 10:46 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
More proof that Queens is becoming a dump.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:04 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It has everything to do with what you said, many of those people in Elmhurst need social services as well. Regardless of whether some people saved all their pennies to buy a home, Elmhurst isn't and never will be an exclusive neighborhood!

The city could have worked with the neighborhood in advance, but whatever, it's there now and yes, it needs to be there as Western Queens needs more services like this for the destitute population it has.
I was not talking about the social services. I was talking about infrastructure to serve the local residents (including the poor and homeless).

Its not the city that should have worked with the nabe in advance, but the actual organization that will be operating the facilities. Development of these type facilities need to be discussed with the community in advance so that all types of QOL issues can be addressed from more seats for schooling and more low-level jobs for those that are trying to get back on their feet. Everything was done in secret.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:06 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And a good chunk of them are from here.
they should ALL be from here to get the services here

Old 07-25-2014, 11:49 AM

260 posts, read 433,973 times
Why not keep the homeless in areas that are already have concentrations of poverty and crime. Jamaica is one of the few neighborhoods in Queens that would fit.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:24 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
Why not keep the homeless in areas that are already have concentrations of poverty and crime. Jamaica is one of the few neighborhoods in Queens that would fit.
They should be located within central business districts. Manhattan, Downtown Brooklyn, Jamaica Center, Downtown Flushing, etc...

Old 07-25-2014, 12:35 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Quote:
They should be located within central business districts. Manhattan, Downtown Brooklyn, Jamaica Center, Downtown Flushing, etc...
Exactly.

The one that is suppose to be in Glendale is surrounded almost entirely by middle class homes. No trains, and very few bus lines run through here [ I live here ]. The only businesses you have here are a few delis and pizzerias, and Atlas Park [which is very upscale even for Glendale].

Old 07-25-2014, 12:49 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Quote:
Or rapidly gentrifying/gentrified areas like LIC, Williamsburg, Park Slope (have de Blasio put his money where his mouth is). Aren't those people looking for the real New York experience anyway. This would also help to keep the areas diversified. Instead of 80/20's make them 70/20/10. I'm sure it'll help to keep rents under control as well. Isn't that why he was voted in anyway to fight high rents, gentrification, and screw the rich. Why isn't he stopping this attack on middle class neighborhoods.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:59 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
If I'm not mistaken, the city has a legal obligation to house the homeless, but they need to be spread out throught the city. It's crazy that there isn't type of legislation about this already. To concentrate them in several neighborhoods, or only in low-income neighborhoods is criminal. If Elmhurst already has one, then it's enough. Spread them around -- it's only fair.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:03 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the city has a legal obligation to house the homeless
due to do-gooder protesters & activist judges
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City