U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-15-2016, 09:52 AM
 
44 posts, read 50,267 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Thanks, Incog79. Good luck with the process!

I have printed out all the studio floor plans, and I was wondering what lines you were shown. It looks like the E lines are non-balcony and there are some D lines that are both balcony or non, depending on the building. Were you shown any balcony apartments even though you didn't specifically request one? I'm still wondering how that works.

I have asked this question of others who have seen studios, but what is your impression of the size? I saw a video of 15E on youtube, and it seemed small (not that I'm complaining, just curious). I calculated the square footage by the scale on the floor plans, but I can't really visualize spatially as well as others, so any comments would be helpful.

hkcg
Thanks! Between our two visits we saw three different apartment types, none with balconies:

- E line in (I think) a single-core building, a 2-room unit that was too small for two people (no eat-in kitchen, no foyer area, no terrace)

- E line in a double-core building, a 2.5-room unit with an eat-in kitchen and small open area near the bathroom and closets. I believe this is the most common 2.5-room studio.

- 19th floor apartment D in a double-core building, a 2.5-room unit similar to the E line on lower floors, but there is a second door in the kitchen opening into the living room, and the living room is longer in one dimension and shorter in the other. This one felt slightly larger to us than the regular 2.5-room apartments; I think the longer living room, and the fact that less of the space is taken up by a hallway helps.

They are all small for two people, but certainly doable at least until you can move into a 1-br. The open area by the bathroom/closets is probably big enough for a small desk or a crib, but not a bed. We will look into getting a murphy/wall bed to give us more space.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2016, 07:04 AM
 
93 posts, read 104,245 times
Reputation: 20
Does anyone know the answer to this: I'm thinking of putting my application on hold, when I decide to take it off hold will I go right back where I was originally? or do I go to the end of the list? I sent a letter to pennsouth back in March with this and other questions but have not yet rec'd a response. I called the office and was told they rec'd "tons" of letters and are getting to them as best they can. Appreciate any info.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 06:41 AM
 
129 posts, read 169,361 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktothe8 View Post
We got our first letter last month, but were very low on the list. Did you get an apartment as #7?
Hi ktothe8,

If you don't mind answering, when you say, "very low on the list", do you mean between 340 and 400 on the online waitlist, or below 50 on the lottery list (the first letter they sent us)? It seems that those are the people being called. As someone else pointed out, anyone with a lower number who doesn't respond has probably moved, isn't interested anymore, or can't get the financing.

Good luck with everything! I hope you get the apartment you want.

hkcg
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 07:59 AM
 
129 posts, read 169,361 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incog79 View Post
Thanks! Between our two visits we saw three different apartment types, none with balconies:

- E line in (I think) a single-core building, a 2-room unit that was too small for two people (no eat-in kitchen, no foyer area, no terrace)

- E line in a double-core building, a 2.5-room unit with an eat-in kitchen and small open area near the bathroom and closets. I believe this is the most common 2.5-room studio.

- 19th floor apartment D in a double-core building, a 2.5-room unit similar to the E line on lower floors, but there is a second door in the kitchen opening into the living room, and the living room is longer in one dimension and shorter in the other. This one felt slightly larger to us than the regular 2.5-room apartments; I think the longer living room, and the fact that less of the space is taken up by a hallway helps.

They are all small for two people, but certainly doable at least until you can move into a 1-br. The open area by the bathroom/closets is probably big enough for a small desk or a crib, but not a bed. We will look into getting a murphy/wall bed to give us more space.
Thanks so much for the descriptions, Incog79! This helps a lot. And I too have already made plans for a 1 bdrm. The second my 3 years is up, I'll be putting my name on the list for a 1 bdrm with a balcony! I guess I'm getting waaay ahead of myself, but that's the plan.

Thanks again!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2016, 06:10 AM
 
129 posts, read 169,361 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeel77 View Post
Does anyone know the answer to this: I'm thinking of putting my application on hold, when I decide to take it off hold will I go right back where I was originally? or do I go to the end of the list? I sent a letter to pennsouth back in March with this and other questions but have not yet rec'd a response. I called the office and was told they rec'd "tons" of letters and are getting to them as best they can. Appreciate any info.
On the External Waiting List FAQ on the Penn South site, it says, " In June of 2005, the housing company re-activated all those applicants who had been on "freeze" for 5 years or longer. These people were automatically reinstated on the waiting lists in their original order. Therefore, those applicants added in later years will fall back on the list as applicants are reactivated."

So it seems that you would not lose your place in line.

I hope you hear from them soon!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 07:09 AM
 
93 posts, read 104,245 times
Reputation: 20
Thanks for that info hkcg.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2016, 08:43 AM
 
88 posts, read 181,077 times
Reputation: 14
Just curious for those who live in Penn South already: are there some little kids living there, like age 10 and under? Are there elliptical machines in the Penn South exercise room? How long is the waiting list for the following: ceramics room, community garden, parking lot? Thanks for any answers! And boy oh boy do I wish they would update that list again soon.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2016, 12:09 PM
 
23 posts, read 33,410 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybloom View Post
Just curious for those who live in Penn South already: are there some little kids living there, like age 10 and under? Are there elliptical machines in the Penn South exercise room? How long is the waiting list for the following: ceramics room, community garden, parking lot? Thanks for any answers! And boy oh boy do I wish they would update that list again soon.
I can only answer the first question, since I havenít really taken advantage of any of the other amenities. There do seem to be a lot of kids moving into the apartments due to the fact that a younger families are tending to be replacing a lot of the elderly cooperators, some of whom have been living there since the buildings first opened. I suspect that more families with kids will continue to move in as many of the apartments from the most recent lottery get filled.

After you sign the papers, you'll get to meet with a very nice guy named Mario for an orientation. He'll walk you though many of the amenities and which forms to fill out for the waitlist and will even hand them in for you.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2016, 08:00 AM
 
129 posts, read 169,361 times
Reputation: 23
I just checked the list, and it hasn't moved yet. It's been six months, so I hope it's because so many people are moving in the summer. This is the longest they've gone without updating, so hopefully we'll see an update soon!

Hope you're all enjoying your summer!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 08:02 AM
 
129 posts, read 169,361 times
Reputation: 23
Hi,

Does anyone know if you can apply for and be on more than one wait list for affordable housing? There is a rental called West End Towers that has a lottery open until August 31st, and the income requirements are a little higher than you usually see in these ads.

I appreciate any information!

Thanks,

hkcg
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top