Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 05:23 AM

16 posts, read 33,073 times

Advertisements

Alright, so long story short. I van dwell. If you don't know what that is just google "van dwelling" and you should get some articles to read. Anyway, I've been living in Brooklyn for a few months and finally made some friends to hangout with. The problem is, I don't want to spend a bunch of money on gas for just hanging out. So I have my foldable bike to use (2012 Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike *totally recommend by the way*) to get around town. Since this is the first time I'll be away from my car, I want to leave it under the BQE. The parking is usually good (I always see spots open) and it's free. I haven't been messed with while parking and sleeping on other streets, but I have been eyeballed by some pretty shady characters and I figure the area is okay to park in since so many people DO park there. So I guess my main question is, would parking my car under the BQE for more than 7-8 hours be an okay thing to do? And If not, do you have any recommendations? Thanks in advance, I tend to forget when I post threads. Will get back to you...I think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 11:35 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,849,840 times
There was the wonderful episode on KING OF QUEENS where they wanted to get rid of the Duchenberg for insurance and of course everyone was in agreement that the easiest way for the car to be stolen or dismantled for parts was to park it under the BQE.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:11 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,871,664 times
One of my friends in Greenpoint parked his car one night under the BQE and the next morning found his window broken and his radio missing.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 PM

510 posts, read 1,438,486 times
Depends where under the BQE.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:03 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,248,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
Depends where under the BQE.
Not really. Anywhere under the BQE at night can be rather desolate. Even above the BQE where the highway is below street level. For example, in Williamsburg around S3rd to S5th street, you always see the broken glass around the BQE. Go a block away from the BQE, you rarely see glass.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:01 AM

16 posts, read 33,073 times
Nah man, I'm not talking about by 53rd. I'm talking about by Old Fulton. By the Manhattan bridge mostly. I'd rather be living in Manhattan, but we all know that story. Or at least I think you guys do.

Last edited by shawnisbeast1; 07-31-2014 at 08:17 AM..

Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 AM

782 posts, read 851,693 times
Well theres a huge costco on one of the 30s streets, and once your in the 50s, you're in the part of Sunset Park that neighbors Bay Ridge. I say if your leaving your car in that stretch during at any time other than overnight, its totally fine.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:38 AM

30 posts, read 60,983 times
I wouldn't leave it there after dark. During the day it would be fine.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:43 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,248,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnisbeast1 View Post
Nah man, I'm not talking about by 53rd. I'm talking about by Old Fulton. By the Manhattan bridge mostly. I'd rather be living in Manhattan, but we all know that story. Or at least I think you guys do.
Same thing. I avoid parking for too long right by the BQE in general.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:06 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,609,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnisbeast1 View Post
Alright, so long story short. I van dwell. If you don't know what that is just google "van dwelling" and you should get some articles to read. Anyway, I've been living in Brooklyn for a few months and finally made some friends to hangout with. The problem is, I don't want to spend a bunch of money on gas for just hanging out. So I have my foldable bike to use (2012 Dahon Speed Uno Folding Bike *totally recommend by the way*) to get around town. Since this is the first time I'll be away from my car, I want to leave it under the BQE. The parking is usually good (I always see spots open) and it's free. I haven't been messed with while parking and sleeping on other streets, but I have been eyeballed by some pretty shady characters and I figure the area is okay to park in since so many people DO park there. So I guess my main question is, would parking my car under the BQE for more than 7-8 hours be an okay thing to do? And If not, do you have any recommendations? Thanks in advance, I tend to forget when I post threads. Will get back to you...I think...
City-data, where like-minded people find eachother.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haarlem Venison View Post
Yep, sleeping in van under BQE. It's just that I see many tow trucks speeding around down there in the early AM, so am worried of some arbitrary guidelines that would permit them to tow "abandoned" vehicles, or something like that.

The shade provided by the expressway overhead is better than nothing, but realistically I need to find cooler summer quarters that I can rely on. I'm getting my real estate license now, and will start work immediately after, so need to be at the top of my game in terms of being well rested.

It is fairly shady, but not as bad as it could be. Have already been homosexually propositioned by an Orthodox Jew, although that's par for the course.

Bushwick/Williamsburg just because it's a happening area, and it's where I've lived in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City