Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 06:01 AM

55 posts, read 149,529 times

Advertisements

Are we required to report our medical history during the hiring process? I had surgery on my shoulder and received acupuncture physical therapy on my back for a car accident in 2010. I've read posts from some of guys who said don't mention anything and others who say if they find out about it later on and you didn't report it, you could be fired.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:40 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,960,032 times
Ok here's the deal, you are supposed to disclose it during the medical testing, however if you disclose something like surgery on your back shoulders hips etc, your going to be medically disqualified and have no chance. Or you could not disclose it , get hired and hope it never comes back to bite you in the ass. If you do go with honesty and your medically dq'd , you could appeal and if you win be reinstated to the hiring list, that process takes a long time . And trust me you want to get on sooner than later, this whole job goes by seniority. I tell guys to leave anything they don't need to know out, I told them I broke my hand once when u was a kid and I almost had a problem from that, the choice is yours. I would just focus on getting a perfect score on the test for now, worry about this when the time comes. Good luck

Old 10-01-2014, 12:56 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,168,971 times
Lots of people take these civil service exams but Remember

1.)When they call people, not everyone shows up so that eliminates a few people right there(several year wait can do this).
2.) Many people might dont pass the medicals
3.)Alot of people have criminal records and fail the background check thus disqualifying

Old 10-01-2014, 03:34 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,960,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Lots of people take these civil service exams but Remember

1.)When they call people, not everyone shows up so that eliminates a few people right there(several year wait can do this).
2.) Many people might dont pass the medicals
3.)Alot of people have criminal records and fail the background check thus disqualifying
The ratio is usually about 2-3 people get passed for one reason of another to hire 1 body. So a class of 100 people could take 300 candidates. Just to clarify a criminal background including felony does NOT disqualify you from working for DSNY. as long as you have no pending cases you'll be fine.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:52 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,383,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrain24 View Post
Are we required to report our medical history during the hiring process? I had surgery on my shoulder and received acupuncture physical therapy on my back for a car accident in 2010. I've read posts from some of guys who said don't mention anything and others who say if they find out about it later on and you didn't report it, you could be fired.

Keep it to yo damn self

Old 10-01-2014, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 20,766 times
Can anyone give me some information about what the physical exam entails?

Also what type of questions the academic test asks? Any practice tests out there?

I'm looking for any information to better my chance to be one of NY's strongest. Any help would be much appreciated! I don't know anything about the hiring process.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 10,302 times
I applied and recieved a payment confirmation but the site stopped working after that. I checked to see if I technically applied and it said I applied. I also applied for the court officer exam and they had asked for my work history. How do I know if I have to do the same for the NYS sanitation application or was the payment the only part that needed to be done?

Old 10-01-2014, 08:46 PM

576 posts, read 1,543,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDDoni View Post
I applied and recieved a payment confirmation but the site stopped working after that. I checked to see if I technically applied and it said I applied. I also applied for the court officer exam and they had asked for my work history. How do I know if I have to do the same for the NYS sanitation application or was the payment the only part that needed to be done?
Payment is all that is needed to be done. You'll hear from them when you're going to take the test. Feb 2015

Old 10-01-2014, 09:12 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,332,477 times
I thought they were going to do a lottery to see who can actually sit down to take the exam??

Anyways, i'll apply tomorrow, i'm hoping the MTA schedules a conductor exam because i'm more interested in transit, but i;ll give this a shot.

Unfortunately I think my chances with this are slim to none.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:17 PM

154 posts, read 230,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtklol View Post
Can anyone give me some information about what the physical exam entails?

Also what type of questions the academic test asks? Any practice tests out there?

I'm looking for any information to better my chance to be one of NY's strongest. Any help would be much appreciated! I don't know anything about the hiring process.
The physical is a joke . Anybody with a pulse can pretty much pass. As far as the written you really can't study for it. If it's like all the other city test then it's basically 7th grade reading comprehension. You read a paragraph and then they give you multiple choice questions on what you just read. Very easy questions.you don't need to know anything about dsny. But what gets most people is they give a lot of questions and towards the end of the test you get tired or careless and rush questions and miss key words . My best advice when you take the test is take your time , read everything carefully and if you start getting exhausted , take a few minutes rest and continue . Every question is extremely important . Every question wrong can mean the difference of thousands of people ahead of you. Good luck

Last edited by dsny012185; 10-01-2014 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City