Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 5,965 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I moved into a rent stabilized 1br apt last year. When I did I signed a 1year lease. My LL sent me a lease renewal form outlining the rent increase for a 1yr vs 2yr lease. I didn't sign it right away bc I wasn't sure if I was going to move or stay in my apt but if I did stay I would choose the 1yr lease.

Anyways, time passed, I misplaced the renewal form and I never sent it back to my LL. I do remember the form stating that my lease would be renewed under the same terms if I didn't send the form back. So I assumed that when I got my rent slip in August my rent payment would be for the amount quoted for the 1yr rent increase. I came home last night and see that the LL is charging me the 2yr increase. How is that possible when I initially had a 1yr lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 11:05 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,319 times
probably because you did not read the fine print and "misplaced the renewal form" enjoy your place for the next 2 years. Next time be a little more careful with your new lease.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:14 AM

Thanks bilmin. Enjoy the rest of your life being a prick!

Old 08-02-2014, 11:26 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barelysurvivinginnyc View Post
Hello everyone,

I moved into a rent stabilized 1br apt last year. When I did I signed a 1year lease. My LL sent me a lease renewal form outlining the rent increase for a 1yr vs 2yr lease. I didn't sign it right away bc I wasn't sure if I was going to move or stay in my apt but if I did stay I would choose the 1yr lease.

Anyways, time passed, I misplaced the renewal form and I never sent it back to my LL. I do remember the form stating that my lease would be renewed under the same terms if I didn't send the form back. So I assumed that when I got my rent slip in August my rent payment would be for the amount quoted for the 1yr rent increase. I came home last night and see that the LL is charging me the 2yr increase. How is that possible when I initially had a 1yr lease?
Why don't you call him and ASK him?

No one on CD knows, except your landlord, but you should have sent in the renewal. You're dealing with shady New York City landlords. They are not "nice" people and will take advantage of tenants who they view as weak.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:37 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

He is signing you up for the higher rate, currently in effect. The increase rate drops October 1st, I think. Many stabilized tenants whose leases needed renewal before the new rate goes into effect elected one-year leases for that reason. The next will be at the lower increase rate, and it would be smart to do a two-year lease then.

It is important to be diligent with leases.

Why bother to ask the landlord ? Does anyone here ever ask the landlords anything ? You could call DHCR and see what they say. A challenge is the fact that you have 90 days to send the lease back once you received it - plenty of time. Could be 60 ? but still.

You should look this up. The landlord is obligated to send you a renewal 90 days before expiration. You might have maneuvering space if this did not happen, and/or if your own time frame has not yet passed. They cannot put new terms into effect before they can legally go into effect.

Met Council might also have answers although they are dealing with bigger problems than this.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why don't you call him and ASK him?

No one on CD knows, except your landlord, but you should have sent in the renewal. You're dealing with shady New York City landlords. They are not "nice" people and will take advantage of tenants who they view as weak.
I'm going to call on Monday. I didn't get in until late last night and today is Saturday so the office is closed.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:46 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
I'm going to call on Monday. I didn't get in until late last night and today is Saturday so the office is closed.
Hint - nobody with NEW YORK regulation experience, even as a tenant, would necessarily tell you to call the landlord as an immediate solution. Sadly this just tips your hand, so to speak, always a disadvantage.

You should find out your actual position before calling the landlord.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:57 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Oh,
You're gonna pay more but not too much more. Too bad your lease didn't expire in October.

Quote:

For leases beginning between October 1, 2013, through September 30, 2014, the

rent increase for rent stabilized apartment and lofts is:
  • 1-year lease: 4%
  • 2-year lease: 7.75%
For leases beginning between October 1, 2014,
through September 30, 2015, the rent increase for rent stabilized apartments and

lofts is:
  • 1-year lease: 1%
  • 2-year lease: 2.75%
Perhaps you should not be too upset because your landlord had the option to begin evictions proceedings against you.

If you want to read the standard renewal form and instructions it's a .pdf at
List of Rent Administration Forms

Scroll way down to RTP-8
(You will not find automatic renewal at the same rent term...just some talk about you ared entitled to get the same renewal choice RIGHT every year, a subtle difference.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-02-2014 at 12:15 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 12:13 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
I still always recount how my rent went up
25% one year
26% the next year.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:16 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I still always recount how my rent went up
25% one year
26% the next year.

Why did you stay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: