Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 07:48 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
Tokyo's under $10 food options aren't limited to "vending machines" and "instant ramen". You are talking out of your a$$ and the same $7 udon and beef dinner for example would cost you $15+ in NYC.
That's true. There are quite a number of small restaurants that primarily cater to business men so if you're a lone female you may feel a bit uncomfortable that offer you a complete delicious meal that's under $10. The decor may not be all that great & spacious but it's clean and the service is decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Just came back from Japan yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
For one thing, Tokyo is real 24hr city not like NYC which is pseudo 24hrs. Real nightlife in Tokyo vs this govt controlled nightlife in NYC.
^This is laughable. Tokyo basically shuts down once subway/JR stops running at ~1 am.. The only businesses that are open at night are for drunk businessmen (Shinjuku etc), and some foreigners who have hotels within walking distance of a happening place (e.g. Roppongi). The rest of Japan is even worse, where the only places that are open at night are FamilyMart and Lawson...

Quote:
While it is crowded in Japan, avg Japanese are orderly and have better manners than Americans. Japan is just much higher standard of living than NYC.
This I agree with. Everything is much cleaner and orderly, and the quality of public services is much better.

Quote:
The quality of food is amazing compare to here, even Mcdonalds in Japan is better than here. It's amazing people not so much fat people there with the abundance of delectable foods. Probably because just about everyone has to walk unlike lazy Americans must drive.
This I completely disagree with. The quality of food is amazing only if you're talking about vegetables and seafood products. Meat in Japan is either expensive (e.g. Kobe beef) or really bad quality. In an average Japanese supermarket (not touristy area) the meat is like twice as expensive compared to NY and its not fresh. The chicken skewers on the street have no chicken meat, just chicken skin...Ditto with duck, since Japanese do not eat duck meat, so for $30 you get 6 crackers with duck skin on it. KFC chicken in Japan is horrible. I paid $20 for a KFC in Japan, and it is hands down the worst I have ever tasted in my life. It tasted like half of my pieces were actually BOILED and not fried. The dairy products are horrible as well. Everything that has milk in it tastes of artificial milk and chemicals... from ice cream to mash potatoes. Cheese is awful, unless you buy really expensive cheese that came "from New York". Bacon is very good though, really good cuts and not as salty. The reason why people are smaller is because their diet obviously lacks meat and dairy products and contains a lot of vegetables and seafood. Oddly, while vegetables are of high quality, Japanese tomato sauce and tomato juice are very, very bad.

Quote:
Crime is low, unlike NYC where you constantly read people getting killed, mugged, beat up. In Japan, crime exists just not so common and very few hell hole places.
This is true. Crime is really low/almost non existent. However, we did witness a car chase in a bad area of Osaka (around Ebisucho station I believe) which was both really surprising and funny (going at like 30 mph, car stopping at red lights and signalling proper turns while being chased by the police... lmao)

Last edited by Gantz; 09-16-2014 at 09:49 AM..

Old 09-16-2014, 10:11 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Love everything except the food.....

Old 09-16-2014, 10:56 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
I went to Tokyo a few years ago. The trip there was so long and when I got there the weather was crappy. It rained everyday except for the last day I was there. I noticed that most of the people were wearing facial masks. People were a lot more polite. Cars stopped for you when you were crossing the street and it was very clean.

I wish I could have stayed in Japan a bit longer. I would have loved to travel to other cities, especially Osaka.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:24 AM

40 posts, read 55,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Just came back from Japan yesterday.

^This is laughable. Tokyo basically shuts down once subway/JR stops running at ~1 am.. The only businesses that are open at night are for drunk businessmen (Shinjuku etc), and some foreigners who have hotels within walking distance of a happening place (e.g. Roppongi). The rest of Japan is even worse, where the only places that are open at night are FamilyMart and Lawson...

This I agree with. Everything is much cleaner and orderly, and the quality of public services is much better.

This I completely disagree with. The quality of food is amazing only if you're talking about vegetables and seafood products. Meat in Japan is either expensive (e.g. Kobe beef) or really bad quality. In an average Japanese supermarket (not touristy area) the meat is like twice as expensive compared to NY and its not fresh. The chicken skewers on the street have no chicken meat, just chicken skin...Ditto with duck, since Japanese do not eat duck meat, so for $30 you get 6 crackers with duck skin on it. KFC chicken in Japan is horrible. I paid $20 for a KFC in Japan, and it is hands down the worst I have ever tasted in my life. It tasted like half of my pieces were actually BOILED and not fried. The dairy products are horrible as well. Everything that has milk in it tastes of artificial milk and chemicals... from ice cream to mash potatoes. Cheese is awful, unless you buy really expensive cheese that came "from New York". Bacon is very good though, really good cuts and not as salty. The reason why people are smaller is because their diet obviously lacks meat and dairy products and contains a lot of vegetables and seafood. Oddly, while vegetables are of high quality, Japanese tomato sauce and tomato juice are very, very bad.

This is true. Crime is really low/almost non existent. However, we did witness a car chase in a bad area of Osaka (around Ebisucho station I believe) which was both really surprising and funny (going at like 30 mph, car stopping at red lights and signalling proper turns while being chased by the police... lmao)
why you eatin KFC in Japan?!!?!?!? Of course KFC would be terrible there! And cheese and tomato sauce... SMH

Old 09-17-2014, 07:49 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eudai View Post
why you eatin KFC in Japan?!!?!?!? Of course KFC would be terrible there! And cheese and tomato sauce... SMH
Why not? I was there for over 2 weeks and I tried as many foods as possible. I was traveling with my gf who already been to Japan, and we met up with our friends who live there, so I didn't just do touristy stuff (honestly half of the time tourists spend in Japan is figuring out how stuff works/where to go/ ask for directions, etc), so I got to cover a lot more ground compared to somebody who just came to Japan for the first time. I ate mostly at japanese places, but I also tried our chains in order to compare/contrast the differences. So out of American chains I tried KFC, McDonalds, Subway, Hooters, and TGI Fridays (don't know if I'm forgetting any). With that said food in Korea is so much better.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:53 PM

16 posts, read 33,574 times
Tokyo is like NYC (in terms of pricing), but better (in terms of quality).

People look presentable, and are much better educated than the zombies you see in NYC. Everything from hotels to food are either cheaper, or comparable in price, but much better quality.
You can't really eat a decent meal in NYC for under $60/pp. You can get an amazing meal for $40 or so in Tokyo.

For cheap eats even going to a NYC ramen shop to get a ramen, and appetizer is usually going to be like $35 with tax and tip. In Akihabara you're looking at less than $15. Here a good burger, fries and soda will also cost more, like $15. Check out something like freshness burger. Cheaper, tastier, and better quality I'm sure.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:33 PM

725 posts, read 804,916 times
On a social level, Tokyo is ethnically/racially homogenous so obviously people there will feel more comfortable with how things are. Most of the different groups in NYC whether white, black, Asian, jewish or Arab, Christian, atheist, vegan, etc hate how NYC operates because it's not their way and there are so many different groups with different perspectives and agendas. NYC is a mess on a city level. Individual neighborhoods whether riverdale or soho or whatever maybe be liked but not the whole city. NYC is a disaster because of how it is structured. In every other place you have a few cities/municipalities within a county. In NYC you have 5'counties in 1 city. Each county should ideally be independent and self govern and each county should have municipalities which self govern. It is ridiculous that I am forced to pay city tax to subsidize and pay for things many miles away in Brooklyn, queens or the central bronx that I never go to or enjoy.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:12 PM

275 posts, read 415,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
On a social level, Tokyo is ethnically/racially homogenous so obviously people there will feel more comfortable with how things are. Most of the different groups in NYC whether white, black, Asian, jewish or Arab, Christian, atheist, vegan, etc hate how NYC operates because it's not their way and there are so many different groups with different perspectives and agendas. NYC is a mess on a city level. Individual neighborhoods whether riverdale or soho or whatever maybe be liked but not the whole city. NYC is a disaster because of how it is structured. In every other place you have a few cities/municipalities within a county. In NYC you have 5'counties in 1 city. Each county should ideally be independent and self govern and each county should have municipalities which self govern. It is ridiculous that I am forced to pay city tax to subsidize and pay for things many miles away in Brooklyn, queens or the central bronx that I never go to or enjoy.
This is ridiculous. NYC is not a "disaster." It just sounds like you don't like liberal democracy or pluralism. Perhaps China is more to your liking?

Old 10-17-2014, 05:33 PM

275 posts, read 415,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmzandrew View Post
Tokyo is like NYC (in terms of pricing), but better (in terms of quality).

People look presentable, and are much better educated than the zombies you see in NYC. Everything from hotels to food are either cheaper, or comparable in price, but much better quality.
You can't really eat a decent meal in NYC for under $60/pp. You can get an amazing meal for $40 or so in Tokyo.

For cheap eats even going to a NYC ramen shop to get a ramen, and appetizer is usually going to be like $35 with tax and tip. In Akihabara you're looking at less than $15. Here a good burger, fries and soda will also cost more, like $15. Check out something like freshness burger. Cheaper, tastier, and better quality I'm sure.
Okay, it sounds like you haven't gotten out of Midtown much because NYC is probably the best place in the world for cheap eats. Dollar pizzas, two-dollar bagels, five-dollar heroes, etc.

New Yorkers not educated? NYC is a major hub of intellectual life. Some of the world's best scientists and intellectuals live in NYC. And unlike in Japan, they come in all ethnicities (including Japanese!). I can't think of too many influential thinkers hailing from Tokyo right now. And the ones who do live there are likely Japanese.

As for New Yorkers not looking presentable. Well, that's more of a matter of cultural difference since Americans tend to be fiercely individualistic. This is not the case in Japan. But regardless, NYC is also a major center of fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: