Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:16 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Presumably most of you caught the headline that there was a patient in NYC suspected of carrying Ebola.

So, here's a scenario. If there were suddenly an Ebola outbreak in NYC - say, in Manhattan. Manhattan is quarantined. You wake up in the morning, and there is an emergency broadcast on the radio that everyone is ordered to stay home indefinitely, probably for three or four weeks, long enough for the contagion to die out. No one is allowed out, other than medical or police personnel. Markets are not only closed, but under guard, to prevent looting. There is no mail, only medical people delivering half-rations of emergency medication. Apart from that, people out on the street will be shot.

The question is: Do you have enough food in your home right now for you to survive for a month? Obviously, you won't eat three full meals a day, but do you have enough in terms of staples to survive?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 01:40 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
ofcourse it is going to get here, everything else does.
africa has been the center of diseases for centuries, why cant they get it right.
they are no better off now then they were 2000 years ago.
im so sick of hearing about siockness and diseases in africa.

why cant they get it togeter already, and Im sick of america constantly helping africa.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:46 PM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
ofcourse it is going to get here, everything else does.
africa has been the center of diseases for centuries, why cant they get it right.
they are no better off now then they were 2000 years ago.
im so sick of hearing about siockness and diseases in africa.

why cant they get it togeter already, and Im sick of america constantly helping africa.
Agree. you sound indeed very sick...go see your docotr when you have a break.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:46 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Do not deny that Africa is a cesspoll. Thank that continent for AIDS. But keep denying the truth.

If you really want to know what this city will become if there is an outbreak. Read the book about the 1918 Flu Epidemic. Schools and businesses were closed. Everyone who went out wore a face mask. Hospitals and doctors were overwhelmed. Coffins were put on the street corner to "bring out your dead". Funeral homes couldn't keep up and simply buried people for a later service.

But don't worry. Bill DeNaive will take care of it all.

Nothing will happen

And wait till you unarmed sheeple have to fight for food...don't think it will happen?...lol...keep dreaming..no trucker will come into the city for weeks.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:47 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I am very well prepared for a situation like this, in more ways than just food. My eventual goal is to have enough food put back for 6 months of self-sufficiency at 3 full-meals per day, not counting my garden. I'm currently good for about 2-3 months if we scale back daily intake.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
And wait till you unarmed sheeple have to fight for food...don't think it will happen?...lol...keep dreaming..no trucker will come into the city for weeks.
God forbid anything every happens, a good number of people in this city are going to regret being against the responsible ownership of firearms. Thankfully, I'm not one of those people. We certainly won't be cowering in fear, hoping that no one chooses our house to raid. I'd be very surprised if I lost a single tomato from my garden.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Airborne...were you one of those people that prepped for Y2K...bet you were.

Most people don't realize that supermarkets only have a 2 to 3 day supply of the most used foods. Most get trucks in everyday. Just look what happens when there is a major snowstorm...try to find milk or bread. People don't realize how precarious our food supply is. You will be lucky to find olives on the shelf if there is ever a problem with trucks delivering food.

I don't have that much food but I have enough weapons to raid your house. But before that...I will eat my cats.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM

250 posts, read 269,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I am very well prepared for a situation like this, in more ways than just food. My eventual goal is to have enough food put back for 6 months of self-sufficiency at 3 full-meals per day, not counting my garden. I'm currently good for about 2-3 months if we scale back daily intake.

I'm pretty sure the ebola virus is knocking at your front door right now.

Unless the virus becomes airborne, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Airborne...were you one of those people that prepped for Y2K...bet you were.
I was still in the Army then. I had actually just returned from Kosovo before New Year's Eve. I remember us all joking about getting stranded there if all of the computers fried.

Quote:
I don't have that much food but I have enough weapons to raid your house. But before that...I will eat my cats.
We need to band together then. I'm not going into details, but let's just say that handloading is one of my hobbies and I'm very well stocked.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:10 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
I don't need a quarantine to not leave Manhattan.

Yes, I think I've got enough food for a month.

No, Ebola is not going to break out and cause an epidemic in the United States. Perhaps a flu variant someday, but not Ebola.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: