Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 05:40 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,796,302 times

Advertisements

AirBNB is starting to get on my nerves.

Can you use AirBNB if you book a hotel room and advertise that hotel room on AirBNB? Are people even doing this?

What if you book an illegal sublet through AirBNB, and then in turn advertise that illegal sublet you are suppose to be staying in, and try and illegally sub-sublet that illegal sublet? Have you heard anyone trying to do that?

I go on the AirBNB website, and from the looks of it, the way these people advertise their spaces, and themselves, the more it shows you this is not about business, or supplementing income.

These people are going on an ego trip. They are a bunch of spoiled brats looking for attention, another form of rebellion. Maybe not all of them, but certainly a large percentage of the users are. Just look at the website. Every other client and ad has a picture of the sublettor and a full profile.

It has become the new facebook so vain people can show themselves off. Each ad even has a comments section, where you can make comments about the host and his nicely setup but completely illegal, against the rules his pseudo-hotel is. That is similar to Facebook. You can also make comments about the person.

Effing bunch of Twatz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:25 PM

I have seen ads on the subway showing these working class, and lower income families are suppose to benefit from this AirBNB, but when I look at the ads and the profiles, it is mostly the hipster, yuppy, gentrifying crowd. You should see some of the poses and and how they portray themselves in the host photo. It is all vanity and pretentiousness.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:12 AM

898 posts, read 1,213,151 times
yeah i saw an ad with a middle aged couple who looked working class at the 92nd (or was it 86?) street station on the 6 line. if you can find good renters then it's good side income. why not? i will go check out the profiles to see what you mean.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:19 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,710,384 times
One of the main reasons that people put a profile up about themselves along with the listing is because usually they are renting out an extra room they have in their apartment so you'll be sharing the apartment with them for however long you are staying. You're not just getting an empty apartment to stay by yourself in most of the time.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:07 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,641,093 times
If you're renting an AirBnB then legal or illegal sublet is not your concern, it's the guy renting the apartment that could be risking his lease. As long as you stick to well reviewed listings you are 99.999% sure to have a problem-free experience

Old 08-07-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
yeah i saw an ad with a middle aged couple who looked working class at the 92nd (or was it 86?) street station on the 6 line. if you can find good renters then it's good side income. why not? i will go check out the profiles to see what you mean.
Well for one thing if AirBNB is allowed, landlords would just use it themselves. Why go through their tenants to make the money? Assuming AirBNB is profitable.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
One of the main reasons that people put a profile up about themselves along with the listing is because usually they are renting out an extra room they have in their apartment so you'll be sharing the apartment with them for however long you are staying. You're not just getting an empty apartment to stay by yourself in most of the time.
These are short term sublets for the most part. In this case, it is best to know as little about the other person, and not let that other person know anything about you. The two people or multiple people are not planning on getting into a long term relationship. They should keep it like a hotel or motel because that is basically what the situation is. The sublettor is using their space as a lodging establishment.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:44 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,710,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Well for one thing if AirBNB is allowed, landlords would just use it themselves. Why go through their tenants to make the money? Assuming AirBNB is profitable.
Would you rather have guaranteed income for a whole year or have a tossup on whether or not the room will be filled and also do more work? I don't think you understand how business really works.

There's all kinds of listings on AirBnB, not just what you saw in two listings that you looked at. I stayed here once before I moved here when looking for a job and used AirBnB. It was exactly what the listing said. A guy was using it for extra income after his daughter moved out so he had an extra room.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:41 AM

338 posts, read 675,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I have seen ads on the subway showing these working class, and lower income families are suppose to benefit from this AirBNB, but when I look at the ads and the profiles, it is mostly the hipster, yuppy, gentrifying crowd. You should see some of the poses and and how they portray themselves in the host photo. It is all vanity and pretentiousness.

WHO CARES

Why are so many posters here so obsessed with how other people dress, talk, live their lives? Why the obsession with who's a "real" New Yorker vs. a "transplant" (stupidest, most insecure term ever coined--that's vanity and pretentiousness) vs. a "hipster"? Does this affect you? Does AirBnB's typical renter really have any impact on your life? No. Move along.

This board is so bloody petty and negative--the crab in the bucket mentality on full display.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Would you rather have guaranteed income for a whole year or have a tossup on whether or not the room will be filled and also do more work? I don't think you understand how business really works.

There's all kinds of listings on AirBnB, not just what you saw in two listings that you looked at. I stayed here once before I moved here when looking for a job and used AirBnB. It was exactly what the listing said. A guy was using it for extra income after his daughter moved out so he had an extra room.
That is like asking, would you rather be a hotelier/innkeeper or a rental building landlord. Plus, I would want to know how much this sublettor is making, and demand whatever cut I want. Legally, I dont think I can force this sublettor to do this. This sublettor signed this lease, and owes this much rent, not more. I have no control over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: