Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 09:41 AM

116 posts, read 145,478 times

Advertisements

1. Fresh Direct coming to Mott Haven / South Bronx - there have been several threads already regarding this move and the subsequent lawsuits. Opponents of the deal have cited as part of their lawsuit the fact that the project used an environmental impact study from 1993 which is outdated and asked for a new study to be conducted. The court denied the appeal in March 2014 and contended that the study was fine to use.

Court denies appeal to block FreshDirect - Mott Haven Herald

2. Brooklyn Bridge Park and affordable housing on Pier 6 - another case of residents vs. developers. In this scenario, residents contested the fact that the environmental study utilized was from 2005 and sued the Brooklyn Bridge Park corporation over this fact. A few weeks later BBP corp consented and is hiring consultants to further review the environmental impact.

Closing Bell: Brooklyn Bridge Park Board Plans New Environmental Review | Brownstoner

Regardless of whether or not you feel Fresh Direct coming to the South Bronx is a positive / negative, the disparity between how the Bronx is treated vs. Brooklyn should be seen as a major infraction against the city gov't. Why is a 21 year old EI review OK for the Bronx, but a 9 year old one for Brooklyn is considered outdated? Why is it that FD never felt the need to jump through hoops like BBP and invest in further studies? Because they knew that the government would not pressure them to revise the environmental impact study. BBP did not have that security and therefore had to bow down.

I am opposed to the FD plan until they can show a realistic unbiased picture of the impact. For development of either scale it should be mandated that an EI study less than 5 years old be utilized - otherwise the developer needs to invest in a new one. This would remove any questions regarding impact of increased traffic / pollution / etc. and allow the other aspects to be considered.

FWIW I have emailed DeBlasio's office along with Ruben "morbid" Diaz, Jr to push back on the rationale. For anyone else opposed to the plan or the disparity of treatment of the 2 boroughs I urge you to do the same as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 01:32 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,681,510 times
Mattie, Why is it that you don't want Fresh Direct in The Bronx? The boro that I never really could understand the leadership. Look no further then the Kingsbridge Armory. Every idea gets shot down so it sits vacant. Why would a entrepreneur or business like Fresh direct want to go that Boro?

Old 08-13-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Mattie, Why is it that you don't want Fresh Direct in The Bronx? The boro that I never really could understand the leadership. Look no further then the Kingsbridge Armory. Every idea gets shot down so it sits vacant. Why would a entrepreneur or business like Fresh direct want to go that Boro?
Primarily because of the environmental impact. The original study is over 2 decades old which is a lifetime in terms of scientific break-thrus / changes.

Conduct a new study that proves it will not be detrimental in today's day and age. The current estimate that I was able to find is that 1000+ diesel trucks will be coming in and out of the area daily - show that Mott Haven / Port Morris will not be adversely effected by this.

I'm already invested in Mott Haven and am doing my teeny tiny small part to improve. Would like to see others start to do the same without fear of moving into an environment like Pittsburgh in the 70's. Gentrification can be a dirty word, and I'm not wanting the hipsters to take over, but at least don't destroy the area for those of us who are looking to improve it and those residents who currently live there.

By kowtowing to Brooklyn while blowing off the Bronx, it paints an ugly picture of how the Bronx waterfront (which could be developed as park - don't laugh, plans are floating around out there!) is slated for industrial / commercial development - residents' health be damned! - while Brooklyn is handled with kid gloves for residential development.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:08 PM

Mattie, How much is the study? How long for the study. I agree with you that Fresh Direct should do a study. With that said isn't where Fresh Direct wanting to go an industrial part? warehouse area? Remember if there is a County out of the 5 that needs tax revenue it's The Bronx. Look at the Armory? Two huge differences between Brooklyn and The Bronx. THe old Bklyn BP Marty Markowitz wanted and embrace development. i personally say all the transplants around the Barclays Center demanding air tests. Why are we being displaced? Demanding traffic studies and subway studies. Look how successful barclays is now. The same fight in red Hook with the transplants there. I don't want cruise ships, Fairway, or Ikea here. " I want it quiet" If you want it quiet will little traffic. Move to Putnam or Orange county.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:32 PM

To me the difference is that the other developments you mention are not strictly-industrial. A Fairway, Ikea, Barclay's Center bring consumers into the neighborhood while offering a service to the residents and non-residents. A Fresh Direct distribution center will bring the people who work there but no consumers as (to my knowledge) they are not selling anything at this location, it is their DC.

(Barclay Center relied on a 2006 study and opened in 2012, which would have made it less than 5 years old from when the deal was done.)

Where Fresh Direct is moving is one to three blocks from several of the best restaurants in Mott Haven. Which is why it is laughable that Diaz called the area "morbid". Charley's, one of these places, is in the Clocktower building which contains loft-like apartments - so, completely residential.

I don't mind traffic, I didn't move to Westchester b/c I didn't want suburbia - but I don't want any residential development killed because of perceived impacts to the environment.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:52 PM

I do not know enough of Fresh Direct in terms of what's in the total details. Once again I agree that Fresh direct should conduct a study but not at the cost of terminating the job. Would I call the area morbid? No, but lets be honest. What are we talking about in terms of housing around there? i know the Bruckner bar and there was a another spot the Galleria? Also how much car emissions is let off by the commuters entering Manhattan? That's been going on for years and years. I understand there is this new 3 blocks of new housing?? That whole area was built for industry that now some has been converted into housing. Barclay's center had a ton of bluster from the transplants living around barclays. Yelling this will kill the area. A statement that is very untrue. The Bronx and NYC as a whole needs industry. We have posters here that love big Government. Well with big Govt. you need tax revenue. Who's gonna pay for universal Pre k? Affordable housing? BTW there's been a few places that have come and go in the Clocktower, right?

Old 08-14-2014, 04:24 AM

1,423 posts, read 2,541,536 times
Let the Bronx gentrify and develop! I am all for it. The Bronx market area used to be a dump but now look at it! It has been cleaned up, crime is down and you can walk around the area. Fresh Direct is a good asset for the Bronx. Some job creation, wealth, etc is a good thing. As for the pollution....well get the city to pass a law that pushes for green trucks! Get rid of the projects while we are at it, and let the free market play.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,201,274 times
The OP is right, they are treated differently because the city has a different vision for these two boroughs. It's pretty obvious actually.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:05 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,988,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Let the Bronx gentrify and develop! I am all for it. The Bronx market area used to be a dump but now look at it! It has been cleaned up, crime is down and you can walk around the area. Fresh Direct is a good asset for the Bronx. Some job creation, wealth, etc is a good thing. As for the pollution....well get the city to pass a law that pushes for green trucks! Get rid of the projects while we are at it, and let the free market play.
Fresh Direct has nothing to do with gentrification and not a symbol of gentrification. Fresh Direct is just a conveince service industry. Should Fresh Direct be in the Port Morris/Mott Haven area? Since I live in the area my answer is no. I would rather the area be redeveloped for residential purposes and or for commercial tech space. Also Fresh Direct jobs do not pay well. How can one live off of 13-14 dollars an hour? A person is better off making minimum wage and receiving welfare and snap to get by instead of struggling along making 14 dollars an hour working for fresh direct. Jobs such as Fresh Direct will only breed more poverty along with underground trade for many of its workers. Also the area where Fresh Direct is located has a bottle neck of pollution from constant planes flying away and towards LGA. Then you have the Bruckner Expressway, than you have diesel powered trains and last the area is located in an major sea lane for ships exiting the city via Long Island Sound. But then again Fresh Direct is a good job for people who came out of prison or for newly arrived Green Card holding American residents. Getting rid of the projects is not the solution, but having the projects reformed is a better one especially since they are decent wage earning people who live in NYC and other forms of RS housing, and those guys should pay their fair share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: