Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 09:10 AM

8 posts, read 17,781 times

Advertisements

Basically, my question regards the likelihood that I will be able to renew the lease of my current apartment after having sent a one month notice that I would not be renewing.

Here's the story, my wife, 1 year old child and I have been living in a spacious and cheap 1 bd in Kensington, Brooklyn. As our daughter has grown, we've started to feel a little cramped and felt we needed to move into a 2 bd apartment by the summer. Confident I would be able to find something by the end of August, I sent notice to the management company of our apartment that we would not be renewing the lease. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the right apartment and the end of the month is fast approaching. I am still waiting to here back from a landlord today, but in the event we are not approved, we have been wondering how the management company would react if we asked to renew our lease.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that the management company of our current apartment is rather unprofessional, negligent and shoddy. It is hard to get ever anyone from the company on the phone, supers come and go frequently, maintenance is haphazard and cheap. We never even received a letter back from the management company confirming receipt of our 1 month notice. Maybe they never read our letter of notice?

Finally, I realize that the easiest solution might be to simply contact the management company and ask directly about whether it is possible at this point to renew the contract. However, since I expect to hear back from the aforementioned landlord of another building today, I think I might as well wait to contact our current management company until necessary.

What do you guys think? Will a management company most likely refuse our request to renew or be happy that they don't need to pay a broker to find new tenants? Or is it impossible to generalize in such a case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 08:49 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,187,990 times
Ask if you can do month to month for a few months and you will give proper notice.

Last edited by livingsinglenyc; 08-19-2014 at 09:40 PM..

Old 08-19-2014, 08:58 PM

15,488 posts, read 15,462,023 times
Sorry, but this is a classic unanswerable question. How can anyone know that? It may depend on how good you are at humbly groveling. The longer you wait, the worse your chances, I imagine.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:07 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,753,189 times
Its hard for any of us to know what your particular landlord/management company thinks of this subject. I know someone who would tell you sorry you need to move, while others would say ok cool.

Good luck.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:55 PM

8 posts, read 17,781 times
Your answers pretty much confirm my assumptions, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City