Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 02:42 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,960,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I dunno. Probably. I don't stop for red lights on my bike. If I was going to stop for red lights I'd get a car

;-)
In nyc that's almost a deathwish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 02:51 PM

31,588 posts, read 26,439,483 times
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking. I'd never heard of cyclists receiving tickets before. When I showed the cop my out of state license, he asked for a NYC address. When I told him I don't live here hour scoffed and wrote the ticket. I did notice that they didn't run my ID like they did to the local cyclists who they'd pulled over.
*News flash*

Cyclists can and do receive tickets from NYC LE of various agencies all the time. Say so as a native NYC resident who over the years has seen plenty of such persons stopped and "written up".

NYPD to Start Ticketing Bicyclists - WSJ

Bicyclist sues over New York bike lane law after he's ticketed for leaving lane to turn - NY Daily News

In NYC cyclists are to obey the same traffic laws as vehicles as well as other laws such as not riding on sidewalks, failing to wear a helmet, and so forth.

You can choose to ignore the ticket if you wish but it will not go away. The thing will simply continue to accrue interest and fines, that and or (IIRC) at some point a warrant may be issued for your arrest.

As usual persons bounce into this forum would be better served simply using "Google' or any good search engine for information. There are pages, upon pages of hits regarding NYC cyclists and tickets issued by the NYPD. That along with the consequences of ignoring "Pink Summons".
Frequently Asked Questions about Pink Summonses in New York City

Long story short, don't pay the thing and go back to Podunk, USA. In five or so years from now when you are up for an interview for something *big* (major employment, housing, whatever) and a background search turns up something related to this "minor" or "given in error" ticket you are going to have a cracked face.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:52 PM

282 posts, read 572,540 times
Quote:
I dunno. Probably. I don't stop for red lights on my bike. If I was going to stop for red lights I'd get a car.
Just out of curiosity, do you have health insurance? Just wondering who is going to pay your medical bills when you get hit by a car....

You don't say where you are from but in NYC, people on bicycles have to follow the same laws as people driving cars. You run a red light, you get a ticket. It's not a scam, it's not a trick to "squeeze money out of the public", it's a law that you broke. Was it bad luck there happened to be a cop there? Of course. Just pay the ticket and try not to get squished by a cab.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you have health insurance? Just wondering who is going to pay your medical bills when you get hit by a car....

You don't say where you are from but in NYC, people on bicycles have to follow the same laws as people driving cars. You run a red light, you get a ticket. It's not a scam, it's not a trick to "squeeze money out of the public", it's a law that you broke. Was it bad luck there happened to be a cop there? Of course. Just pay the ticket and try not to get squished by a cab.
Many so called "cyclists" have some sort of amnesia or at least odd ideas about enforcement of laws as it pertains to themselves. Most are quite happy and or complain about "messengers, delivery persons, etc...." breaking any or all traffic laws but then we are speaking of mainly minorities aren't we? But white/European bikers seem to think there are special rules just for them.

Cannot count how many times have seen such persons stopped for say riding their bikes on sidewalk, along paths in Central Park, failing to obey traffic laws, etc... and all have this or that excuse as to why they should get a pass.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:03 PM

116 posts, read 145,115 times
There was an article on Gothamist just yesterday about a woman who wanted to fight her red light / no bell tickets in court, ended up missing her court date, and incurred hefty fines and a warrant:

Naturally, the third time was a charm—the building had finally reopened, and she missed her hearing. That's when the notices really started coming in—alerting her that her drivers license was suspended, as was her (already expired) pedicab license, in addition to a warrant for her arrest. The total for the two tickets was also raised to $625.

Full saga here:
Cyclist Owes $625 After Running Red Light Without A Bell: Gothamist

I recommend paying it. It could back to haunt you.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:11 PM

355 posts, read 388,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
if your not from here, i wouldn't pay the ticket.
Id throw it out and call it a day.

imagine, points on your license, that you dont even have. LOL, its laugheable.

this is NYC, anything to squeeze money out of the public.
All fun and games in the sand box. That's until one night far in the future, you get stopped for unknown reasons. To your delight BAM you Sir, have a warrant. Your arrested for not responding and taking care of that little stupid bicycle summons.Well at least you will have 3 days in the bookings to reflect on your decision.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:27 PM

Far to many persons believe riding a bike in NYC is something out of their childhood. That is you get on the thing and go; no such luck.

From requiring helmets, lights, bells and so forth to the various traffic laws/biking rules there is plenty one should be aware of and obey.

For instance it is *very* common for bikers to go against the flow of traffic. This is often true of those that live on a one way street and need to go the other way but do not wish to go around the block so to speak.

Riding a bike after dark without lights. This to is not only illegal but dangerous.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:42 PM

424 posts, read 969,151 times
The NYPD is cracking down on cyclists, some say they make easier "targets than motorists" but I've seen them pulling cars in Manhattan all over the place. Jay walkers might be in for some surprises too as a part of Vision Zero... we'll see (tickets for everyone?). If you provided your out of state address the NYPD can still send reminders and warnings to pay the ticket, I'd just pay it and get it over with.

Though, it's interesting to note my father was let off with a warning about 10 years ago for making an illegal turn on 59th Street near 5th Avenue, the wrong way too since we were visiting and wasn't familiar with the area. (Still should have been paying attention to the one way signs) Right in front a police car too. The officer let him off since he was out of state though I guess it depends since pursing an out of state ticket for a moving violation may not be worth the hassle.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:37 PM

314 posts, read 543,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
The NYPD is cracking down on cyclists, some say they make easier "targets than motorists" but I've seen them pulling cars in Manhattan all over the place. Jay walkers might be in for some surprises too as a part of Vision Zero... we'll see (tickets for everyone?). If you provided your out of state address the NYPD can still send reminders and warnings to pay the ticket, I'd just pay it and get it over with.

Though, it's interesting to note my father was let off with a warning about 10 years ago for making an illegal turn on 59th Street near 5th Avenue, the wrong way too since we were visiting and wasn't familiar with the area. (Still should have been paying attention to the one way signs) Right in front a police car too. The officer let him off since he was out of state though I guess it depends since pursing an out of state ticket for a moving violation may not be worth the hassle.
But pursuing an out of state ticket given to a hippy who ran a red light on his freaking bicycle is?

Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 PM

993 posts, read 1,375,525 times
Quote:
But pursuing an out of state ticket given to a hippy who ran a red light on his freaking bicycle is?
Sure it's worth the hassle if it keeps us New Yorkers from having to look at your smashed bones on the asphalt. Such sights make us throw up our multicultural delicious dinners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City