Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:58 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times

Advertisements

havent there recently been there crackdowns on this kind of violation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 04:39 PM

31,906 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
havent there recently been there crackdowns on this kind of violation?
Yes, as part of de Blasio's initiative on decreasing pedestrian fatalities in NYC there has been a steeped up effort on all fronts from drivers of autos to bikers. This along with a renewed emphasis on jaywalkers as in the elderly Chinese man and that whole saga.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:12 PM

725 posts, read 805,370 times
This shows the ridiculousness of the police state. Pulling a cycler over for going through a red light actually puts more motorists in danger as it disrupts normal traffic flow and is distracting to drivers. Tickets are not about safety but about revenue generation. Cops have a moral responsibility to not give tickets for bs including not wearing a seatbelt. Not wearing a seatbelt doesn't hurt anyone beside the the one who doesn't wear one. People have the right to make their own choices.

I would pay the ticket because while I'm not sure about 1 ticket I do know multiple tickets not paid leads to an arrest warrant. This fact is ridiculous and the reason why cops deserve to be so hated. Instead of stopping murders, theft, battery and vandalism they arrest people for not paying parking tickets. This is in addition to commonly falsely arresting people, breaking into their homes in the middle of the night, fabricating evidence, assaulting and battering people and lately murdering them.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:02 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
I bike a good myself and I'll admit that I sometimes cheat at stop signs, especially the four-way stop signs common in my town. But stop lights are at a different level. Busier intersections, higher speed roads and streets, etc. Cars and bikes both should come to a full stop at red lights. I don't have any problem with cops handing out tickets to bicyclists for running a red light.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:04 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I dunno. Probably. I don't stop for red lights on my bike. If I was going to stop for red lights I'd get a car

;-)
When you are lying in the middle of the street dead and wondering why, you already have your answer.

Do you know how mangled a body and a bicycle can get when they are run over by a Semi fully loaded?
Not pretty at all and takes a long time to dig through all the pieces to separate them into the body pile and bike pile.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:26 PM

31,906 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post
This shows the ridiculousness of the police state. Pulling a cycler over for going through a red light actually puts more motorists in danger as it disrupts normal traffic flow and is distracting to drivers. Tickets are not about safety but about revenue generation. Cops have a moral responsibility to not give tickets for bs including not wearing a seatbelt. Not wearing a seatbelt doesn't hurt anyone beside the the one who doesn't wear one. People have the right to make their own choices.

I would pay the ticket because while I'm not sure about 1 ticket I do know multiple tickets not paid leads to an arrest warrant. This fact is ridiculous and the reason why cops deserve to be so hated. Instead of stopping murders, theft, battery and vandalism they arrest people for not paying parking tickets. This is in addition to commonly falsely arresting people, breaking into their homes in the middle of the night, fabricating evidence, assaulting and battering people and lately murdering them.
What world are you living in?

At least in NYC the NYPD pulls both drivers and bicyclists to the side of the street/road. This could be the shoulder or the extreme left or right (turning) lanes. You just drive around same as one does for taxis, delivery trucks and anyone or else standing in said lane. NYPD will instruct cyclists to the curb or onto the sidewalk as well. So that blows up your theory.

Function of all LE is to enforce the laws as written. If you have a beef with this or that statue then take it up with those in charge of writing and passing same. While it is true LE officers do have some discretion when it comes to low offences, I shouldn't rely upon receiving such benefits all the time. Far better to simply obey the laws and be done.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJW001 View Post

I disagree. He deserved it.

It is your responsibility to follow the rules of the road. It is especially important in a high volume area such as this.

If you run a light and get caught, it's YOUR fault!

Last edited by wolf39us; 08-21-2014 at 08:19 PM..

Old 08-21-2014, 07:51 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Good. Next time learn what a red light is for. Both bikes and Vehicles should have to stop at red lights, not just the latter.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 PM

384 posts, read 512,423 times
A bicyclist thinks the rules don't apply to him? Knock me over with a feather!

It's insane how entitled bicyclists and pedestrians have become in New York.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:19 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,616 times
it's bratton's "broken windows" policing going on. any little infraction will cost you in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City