Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 12:58 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So then each landlord compiles his own list based on the hearsay of other landlords? And then landlords discriminate on the basis of these lists?
But yet these lists have never come to the notice of the general public?
In this day of information technology I find this hard to believe.
It would require virtually all the landlords in the city to keep quiet about lists of presumably hundreds or even thousands of tenants who could never find out about the lists.

If a single person is found to be on such lists who is on the loost because of age, race, disability (however determined) then such a person could bring charges under the RICO conspiracy statutes against all landlords who have such a list.

Posit a courtroom:
"Sir, you are still under oath and I remind you of the severe penalties for perjury: Is Shaneequah Jackson, an unmarried woman with 3 children of mixed race, on your list of undesirable tenants? From whom did you get that list?"
<In addition to the criminal charges, Shaneequah is suing for $20 Million in Federal Court for the violation of her civil rights.>

You can see why I am a bit skeptical of this "open secret" list.
your example is why its not public knowledge. There is no MASTER LIST for everyone to look at. As i said with some different landlords/management companies theres friendships involved. Thats where the information is exchanged.

Landlords A,B,C are a tight group and when applications come in, a simple phone call (Never email) is made is such an such on your list. yes/no whats violation.

Landlord D and E ask the same from Landlord B will say sorry i dont know what you mean.

Get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City