Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:50 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,999,159 times

Advertisements

Lol...I can always count on you for a positive post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 08:20 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,961,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Lol...I can always count on you for a positive post!
hey when you set yourself up like that...like obama you're great at shucking and jiving

Old 01-31-2008, 08:22 AM

I thought shucking was reserved for clams? And jiving? I don't think I would ever use jiving to describe Obama...maybe JJ Walker....not Obama.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I thought shucking was reserved for clams? And jiving? I don't think I would ever use jiving to describe Obama...maybe JJ Walker....not Obama.
it all goes back you what perceptive you're looking from, if you can think on a level higher than a 14 year old, obama and jj are on the same level and they're both from chicago

Old 01-31-2008, 10:28 AM

you do love those personal attacks..relax dude...this is just a discussion forum. We disagree on many things...but you will end up banned if you continue! Just a heads up...

Old 01-31-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
you do love those personal attacks..relax dude...this is just a discussion forum. We disagree on many things...but you will end up banned if you continue! Just a heads up...
no attacks, just an observation

Old 01-31-2008, 11:57 AM

Seeing as there are many opinions on Mott Haven....when is the last time you have spent any substantial amount of time there? Substantial being visited a friend, hung out in the area, ate at a restaurant, shopped, or otherwise walked around the neighborhood, and not just drove through, drove by on the highway, or stopped to get gum at a store/change a flat.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,037,496 times
Question for people familiar with the neighborhood.

Were I live and the surrounding areas there is a large Dominican population. There are still Puerto Ricans there but south of Fordham. When I worked in Mott Haven, I couldn't believe the amount of Puerto Ricans in the area. It seemed like everyone was. Now, my question is for people who know the areas of Mott Haven, Hunts Point, Melrose, Morrisania, E. Tremont....are there strong populations of Dominicans there aswell? Or are they really just a minority. I've been told that Mexicans are maybe the biggest group after PR. Some one please shed light on this.

A little off topic but it's on Mott Haven so yeah lol.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:49 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,855,863 times
Morrisania has a large Puerto Rican population and also some more recent immigrants from Mexico and South American Countries. It also has a large population of Black Americans. There is also a small group of young white people, mostly couples that have bought a group of homes on the same block and the next block over in that section, they are renovating these older homes. There is also a small section in Morrisania where a group of Guianese Indians live on 1 or 2 blocks in more recently built homes.

I have seen posters refer to this area as desolate. However there are more private homes there, and the projects are limited to Washington and Third Aves for the most part. There are a lot of private homes, many blocks away from the projects, some are new, some are rehabs, and some need renovating. Crotona Park is there and the #2 and #5 trains are close by. It is the hood, but it is a close knit atmosphere. Good or bad you will know your neighbors. Many people have moved away over the years for greener pastures, but every year there is an old-timers day in Crotona Park and many people come back as well as other reunion activities around the area.

I think more people would come back or others would look more at the area if more single, 2, and 3 family homes were built and the old ones knocked down. A lot of the old homes are frame and not worth saving, they don't suit todays lifestyle and don't have many architectural details like a brownstone.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:59 PM

Regarding the South East Bronx..it still has a high concentration of PRs, however there is a large influx of South Americans (Mexicans) now, and a substantial amount of Dominicans as well. As PRs continue to exit the area, they are quickly replaced by Mexicans, and to a lesser extent it seems, Dominicans. I tend to see that Dominicans choose not to move to the area, but rather tend to stay in the West Bronx, or leave the borough/city. This is solely my opinion though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City