Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:31 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,981 times

Advertisements

Seventh...I have no comment on your first two responses...I will only address the final two. I agree there is a huge discrepancy between our 2 experiences, which is typical of those who live IN the projects and those that don't. I RARELY if EVER hear any popping sounds that remotely sound like gunshots...maybe 2x in the past 1 year? Maybe in her particular housing project there are gun battles nonstop...that has not been my experience where I live, or around the housing projects that re directly in front of me...Mott Haven is a relatively large area.

My comment about "hanging with the homeyz at the bodega (i forgot to add 3am)" and "hangin in the housing projects (anytime)" was simple: 1-if you actively do either or both of these, you ARE more likely to be a victim of a crime. That is not to say crime ONLY happens when doing the above, but in MY experience it GREATLY increases your chances because you are hanging with the WRONG element in the wrong location, both of which are prone to crimes. 2-Do I doubt that in Mott Haven gunshots occur? Nope. Do I doubt in the projects there is likely to be a higher propensity for gunshots/crime? Nope. Do I doubt if I lived in the projects, and spent my time in and around them, that I would FEEL like crime is rampant, cops do nothing, and gunshots occur ALL the time? Yup.

That's the reason, I suspect, why I hear none and have a very different experience in Mott Haven than the poster IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 06:57 AM

30 posts, read 101,009 times
Thanks for replying. Guy...unfortunately, yes, I do live in the projects...I'm between Willis and Alexander...and yeah, it is almost everynight, with the gunshots, a guy was shot in front of my building at 5 p.m. on a Sunday, we could hear his screams, another guy was shot in broad daylight...I know that the projects are not the greatest place to be, this is my first time living in one, but I have been to other projects in the city for a long amount of time...and it was nothing like this. And I am agreeing with you that the cops are trying their best, but, again, the snitch thing, no one wants to be "labeled". As there are alot of projects in the area, I know that there will be a higher amount of violence here, than say, Westchester. However, it is still mind numbing to me. And no, I definetly do not "hang out" on street corners; I have a husband and a 7 year old and if we want to go out, we go far away. Which is kind of my point. I won't even take my kid to St. Anne's because of the nonense in the area. Kind of depressing when you think about it...the good people in the neighborhood agree...if they want to take their children somewhere they have to take them somewhere else because of the filth. If you don't believe me about the shootings, you can dip your head in one of the project buildings and usually there is a notice for a funeral for someone who was killed. It's sad because the location is great.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 AM

Dee5543...I agree with everything that you say..which is why I knew you lived in the projects. The experiences of those that live in the projects, in my experience, can be VERY different than those who don't..although they are just across the street (as is the case with me).

I don't doubt the craziness that occurs in your development, I assume thats the way it is. The criminal element is well entrenched there, and they have been forced to pull back from other areas and are now concentrated in these kinds of housing projects. It is a great shame that many families must live in and around this, as it is typically a small group that makes everyone's lives miserable. But until EVERYONE says enough and no longer tolerates this behavior (yes that includes "snitching"), then realistically, it will never change.

I can say that improvement have been made, even in the housing projects, but until the community rallies, and can supercede the fear of change, nothing will really be accomplished.

The location is great, and amenities are coming to the area...so with the continued changes that are occuring in the area, I hope the "trickle down" effect has some impact on the housing projects. Take comfort in knowing that with other neighborhoods improving dramatically, the police are doubling their efforts in certian areas like Mott haven, where crime is not at the levels that are accceptable just yet.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Guy...Yes, that is what my husband is thinking...that with the influx of people coming in from the city the area will be brought up...I'm just hoping that it will be sooner rather than later. I absolutely agree with you that our community needs to stand up against this madness in order for change to come; I think that they just don't care. They see it as cool or something; they think this is the right way to live.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:41 AM

If you are waiting for some sort of huge wave of people from the city to flood into Manhattan and improve the area for you, you will have a LONG wait indeed. It is SOLELY up to the community and its current residents to make a difference...waiting for someone else to fix your problems is much of the reason why these areas have languished for so long. The mentality of "its not my problem/business", and "somebody else will fix this," or "lets just leave it will never improve" is why we are STILL having the SAME conversations from 25 years ago!!! I hope we are STILL not having the same conversation 10 years from now...somehow I suspect we will.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 AM

Actually, there IS a wave of people coming in from the city...which is why there ARE more patrols etc. Personally, I do what I can; i.e. if I hear gunshots, I report it etc. Guess you should call me a snitch. I know there are others residents that feel the same, however; it comes back to the "majority rules" issue. If more people aren't reporting the crimes, what can be done, get a gun and shoot them ourselves? I will NOT risk the safety of my family because people are to ignorant to do the right thing. So, in some cases, the "let's just leave" option is the right one.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 AM

I don't call you a snitch...I call you a sane, reasonable person that is trying to improve your life, the life of your family, as well as improve your community! I understand that you do not want to risk the safety of your family, but that fear is what has kept the community quiet and stuck for so long. There are ways to make a difference without being blatant and antagonistic..and calling the police when there are problems is a great way!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:02 PM

I really am trying to stick it out, for what it's worth, we would stay in the area, even in a privately owned apartment, if the neighborhood was a bit better. Do you know of anywhere close by that is "a world apart"(from the projects!) if you know what I mean? We don't really venture outside of Mott Haven, i.e. we go to third avenue and such, when we have to, but that's about it. My son is enrolled in Catholic school, and I would love for him to keep attending as it really is a wonderful school.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:27 PM

I would recommend trying to get into the affordable housing that is going up all over Mott Haven and Melrose. They are upscale, quality buildings with strict requirements and a class of people that genuinely care about the community and prefer to stay rather than leave. The rents are downright cheap for those that can meet the strict guidelines. I would check the nyc.gov website for affordable housing listings.

You can also try to get into some of the new residential houses going up ina nd around the area. There are TONS of new 2/3 family homes being built, and they need renters! Of course, you will be paying market rates for these apartments, around $1,300 for a 2 bedroom apt and up (plus utlities, etc) but you will be out of the projects and get to remain in the area in a very nice apartment.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the info, I just downloaded a couple applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City